New C-Lux 20MP 1" sensor 24-360mm equivalent lens

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Wilson

I’m really confused by this - if you look at dpreview (https://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/compacts/panasonic_dczs200) they say the TZ200 was announced in February this year - neither they, nor WEX photographic even mention the TZ220 as far as I can see. Searching the Dpreview site finds no mention of it at all.

Where did you get the information from?

PS I now discover from Leica that they’ve changed their story, and that the C-Lux uses RWL files and NOT DNG files as I was first informed.

Jono,

I got the information from a friend at Panasonic Europe in Le Havre, who better remain nameless, as he may have been disclosing top secret information :o . The situation of the TZ200 and TZ220 may be different in the UK from mainland Europe. I will forego the C-Lux as it uses RWL files. If it is using the RWL files, it is almost certainly based on the older TZ200 and not the TZ220 which uses RW2 files. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Jono,

I got the information from a friend at Panasonic Europe in Le Havre, who better remain nameless, as he may have been disclosing top secret information :o . The situation of the TZ200 and TZ220 may be different in the UK from mainland Europe. I will forego the C-Lux as it uses RWL files. If it is using the RWL files, it is almost certainly based on the older TZ200 and not the TZ220 which uses RW2 files.

Wilson

Hi Wilson

I’m still not convinced - it’s very wierd - if you do a search on TZ220 then you can find it - but only in Australia and New Zealand

PC world in Australia announced the TZ220 on the same day (18th February) as dPreview announced the TZ200

If your information is correct then they both came out on the same day in different parts of the world?!

In the States it’s the TS200.

Here is a review from an australian website in April: (which is the same time as other sites reviewed the TZ200

http://www.photoreview.com.au/reviews/advanced-compact-cameras/fixed-lens/panasonic-lumix-dc-tz220

There is nothing about it on any european websites as far as I can see and the shop you sent the link for does grey imports!

Maybe you should re-check with your mate in Panasonic! After all - my contact at Leica got it wrong about the DNG files - even when he was asked twice!

Edited by jonoslack

Jono,

It may just be that they are changing the name for Europe from TZ200 to TZ220. I will ask next time I speak to him.

Wilson

Maybe?!

On the Panasonic German Website it’s called:

TZ202

Whereas the previous version (TZ100) is called:

TZ101

Whereas in the Netherlands it’s TZ200 (and TZ100) like the UK

Go figure!

Edited by jonoslack
  • Like 1

Maybe?!

On the Panasonic German Website it’s called:

TZ202

Whereas the previous version (TZ100) is called:

TZ101

Whereas in the Netherlands it’s TZ200 (and TZ100) like the UK

Go figure!

On the Belgian website it's called TZ200 as the product. On the support page at the section download user manuals there are many more options: DCTZ200, DCTZ200BE, DCTZ200EG, DCTZ200EP, DCTZ200GA and DCTZ200GH. Download also available as DCTZ202, and so on with the added letters like with the FZ200. I opened a few and on the front page DCTZ200 and DCTZ202 is displayed and at first look these are the same documents.

Presume it's country related, very confusing.

• 2 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Your experiences stand in total contrast to all testers who have tested the Panasonic original. The testers criticize the soft image results, the disappointing detail resolution and the considerable series variation of different cameras with different optical errors.

The testers are right about the soft images and disappointing detail resolution. I have the C-Lux and did not realise it was an exact copy of the Panasonic. I had assumed that Leica would have improved any faults from the Panasonic. In my experience, I just cannot get a sharp image and am very disappointed.

• Like 1

Hello Leica people, I just received the Leica C Lux, but I'm worried there is something wrong with the camera, when I move the camera I can feel something moving inside, something like the shutter, and a clear noise comes from inside. Not sure if this is normal or not. Can someone with the camera confirm that there are no moving parts inside and no noise coming from any moving part inside the camera?

Thanks a lot.

Hello Leica people, I just received the Leica C Lux, but I'm worried there is something wrong with the camera, when I move the camera I can feel something moving inside, something like the shutter, and a clear noise comes from inside. Not sure if this is normal or not. Can someone with the camera confirm that there are no moving parts inside and no noise coming from any moving part inside the camera?

Thanks a lot.

I have a C-Lux and there is definitely nothing moving inside or making any noise if I move it around.

• 1 year later...

Today I borrowed someone's C-Lux to take a few test shots prior to a possible purchase, and was disappointed to find that Apple does not support the C-Lux .RWL format. Neither Mac Photos nor iOS Photos on iPad Pro will open the C-Lux .RWL files. Nor will any other photo editing App on iPad open this file since they all use the Apple RAW conversion engine. However the V-Lux 114 .RWL files do open on both Mac Photos and iOS Photos, which means that there are different versions of the .RWL format. Interestingly the Panasonic TZ200 (and TZ220) are supported by Apple. I read somewhere a statement by a Apple engineer that for RAW support, Apple requires the camera to be loaned to them for two months to optimise the RAW conversion. Possibly Leica have not submitted the C-Lux? I mainly use my iPad Pro for editing so not being able to edit the C-Lux .RWL files precludes me from buying the C-Lux, which is a pity since I like the camera, and found the lens to be acceptably sharp and detailed even at 360mm (JPEG files). I liked the colour rendition as well. I just wish Leica had used DNG as originally planned.

By the way, as of date, neither the D-Lux 7 nor the SL2 nor the V-Lux 5 are supported by Apple. I am sure the SL2 will be supported in the near future, but not so sure of the other two.

https://support.apple.com/en-ke/HT210191

Leica have been very poor in the past about lending cameras to Apple to allow them to get their RAW format recognised. I remember this as far back as the Digilux 2 (the camera that cavemen used). IMHO it was absurd allowing Panasonic to impose their screwy RWL format on Leica users. Leica should have insisted on the universal and open source DNG format being used. Then it would just have been a question of the profile being tinkered with for best results but at least the files could have been opened. Does not the LR app open RWL files. My memory from downloading, for the very rare times I have used my C112, was the LR app did open these. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Wilson, thanks for your message. Apple does support the C112. It is included in the list of cameras on the Apple support page. I myself have edited C112 RWL photos on the iPad. I do not know if LR on iOS supports the C-Lux RWL files, I have not tried that because I do not like LR. But Affinity Photo and Pixelmator Photo which are my main iOS editing apps do not.

On 12/13/2019 at 7:54 PM, firoze said:

Today I borrowed someone's C-Lux to take a few test shots prior to a possible purchase, and was disappointed to find that Apple does not support the C-Lux .RWL format. Neither Mac Photos nor iOS Photos on iPad Pro will open the C-Lux .RWL files. Nor will any other photo editing App on iPad open this file since they all use the Apple RAW conversion engine. However the V-Lux 114 .RWL files do open on both Mac Photos and iOS Photos, which means that there are different versions of the .RWL format. Interestingly the Panasonic TZ200 (and TZ220) are supported by Apple. I read somewhere a statement by a Apple engineer that for RAW support, Apple requires the camera to be loaned to them for two months to optimise the RAW conversion. Possibly Leica have not submitted the C-Lux? I mainly use my iPad Pro for editing so not being able to edit the C-Lux .RWL files precludes me from buying the C-Lux, which is a pity since I like the camera, and found the lens to be acceptably sharp and detailed even at 360mm (JPEG files). I liked the colour rendition as well. I just wish Leica had used DNG as originally planned.

By the way, as of date, neither the D-Lux 7 nor the SL2 nor the V-Lux 5 are supported by Apple. I am sure the SL2 will be supported in the near future, but not so sure of the other two.

https://support.apple.com/en-ke/HT210191

I found some test samples (see PM) and on my Mac the App "PhotoScape X" can open the rwl files. It's a free App with possibility to make purchase. Have to admit that I hardly used this App before. Photos indeed does not yet support the rwl files of the C-Lux.

Roger

2 hours ago, rjans said:

I found some test samples (see PM) and on my Mac the App "PhotoScape X" can open the rwl files. It's a free App with possibility to make purchase. Have to admit that I hardly used this App before. Photos indeed does not yet support the rwl files of the C-Lux.

Roger

Thank you for your PM Roger, I have replied. By coincidence I do have the PhotoScape X app on my Mac, so it is good to know it can open the C-Lux RWL files. I will download some C-Lux RWL files and see how they turn out. Thanks again.

22 minutes ago, firoze said:

Thank you for your PM Roger, I have replied. By coincidence I do have the PhotoScape X app on my Mac, so it is good to know it can open the C-Lux RWL files. I will download some C-Lux RWL files and see how they turn out. Thanks again.

Some weeks ago I read on Petapixel (I take a quick look almost very day) that Photolemur 3 (it seems to be developed by Skylum) was a few days available for free and I downloaded the App. It's a basic, very automatic, image improvement App but I just discovered that it also is able to open the rwl file of the C-Lux. The lens vignetting seems to be corrected during the process. In Photoscape X lens vignetting is visible once the rwl file is opened. 

Roger 

Edited by rjans

5 minutes ago, rjans said:

Some weeks ago I read on Petapixel (I take a quick look almost very day) that Photolemur 3 (it seems to be developed by Skylum) was a few days available for free and I downloaded the App. It's a basic, very automatic, image improvement App but I just discovered that it also is able to open the rwl file of the C-Lux. The lens vignetting seems to be corrected during the process. In Photoscape X lens vignetting is visible once the rwl file is opened. 

Roger 

Thanks Roger, I will check out this Photolemur 3 app.