The new Voigtlander 40mm 1.2 M lens

shootinglulu

Thorough appraisal at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA3RNGU4JLc, with one or two serious reservations about distortion (huh?) and fringing (easily sorted).

I am struggling so far to see any gross distortion - my lens profile was set manually in camera to 35/1.4 ASPH .

I have seen into the sun veiling flare arcs, with the sun well out of frame, so that suggests as a first step I need to buy the hood.

• Like 1

My image from the Voigt 40/1.2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Overall I really like the Voigt 40/1.2 on my M.  I had the Voigt 40/1.4 and it was great for travel/hiking because it was so light and small. But I sold that in favour of the new 40/1.2 because this is sharper at 1.2, has min focus of 0.5m and it is not too big/heavy. The older 40/1.4 was more classic glow wide open. Some lenses I want that, some I don't. Sometimes I shoot it with the 40mm external viewfinder, sometimes I don't. Doesn't bother me too much.

I think the 40mm is the first hurdle for many people, rather than the performance of the lens itself.  You either buy the line that 40 is the convenient compromise between the 35 and 50 or you don't. Some must have framelines in the rangefinder window, others are more open. 

I still have 35mm and 50mm lenses. The 35 is my favourite and I'm very comfortable with the 50. Sometimes with a 35, I wish I had a 50 for a scene and vice versa for another scene. With a 40, I don't feel that dilemma.

It works especially well with the way I travel: Voigt 21/4 for landscape/architecture, 40 for everything else and if I must then a 90 tele-elmarit. All really light and easy - works from day to night and covers everything I need.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Minuses for this lens, in my view?

- yes I agree with the video, it's not the nicest looking lens physically, unlike the 35Lux FLE

- the front cap is really bad - easy solution: buy a basic 3rd party one

- lens hood not included and overpriced - true. Buy a $5 3rd party one.

I still have 35mm and 50mm lenses. The 35 is my favourite and I'm very comfortable with the 50. Sometimes with a 35, I wish I had a 50 for a scene and vice versa for another scene. With a 40, I don't feel that dilemma.

My current experiment is to see if I can be comfortable with just the 40mm view.

So on the M10 and film the 40mm, on the TL2 a 28mm and 80mm on 6x6 .

( sold all other hasselblad lenses , but will wait several years before selling all other M lenses ).

Edited by FrozenInTime
  • Like 1

Minuses for this lens, in my view?

- yes I agree with the video, it's not the nicest looking lens physically, unlike the 35Lux FLE

- the front cap is really bad - easy solution: buy a basic 3rd party one

OR A SCREW-IN FILTER!  :) 

- lens hood not included and overpriced - true. Buy a $5 3rd party one.

Those are all the examples from the lens that I have on my Flickr feed. I bought Steve Huff's copy.

Overall, I quite like the lens. Framing is annoying on the M, but it's a nice lens. I've now started using it with the CL, and it's a great combo... I kind of love it. Don't shoot things that show off the barrel distortion, and Bob's your uncle.

Edited by hteasley
  • Like 1

Well,  have taken architectural photos with the VC lens and didn't need correct for distortion, which must be minuscule. Attached with a TL2.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Sample shot. Wall is about 1.5m behind. Focused on headlight. Taken at f1.2.

• Like 3