Third Party Batteries

bobmcg

Whatever battery you choose, it's important to consider a different charger. The Leica charger is so big and bulky. And it only has a green light which goes off when it's charger. Virtually any other charger has at least 2 lights (working and charged) and is smaller--a consideration when traveling. I think this would be the  best (at Amazon)

Kastar Ultra Fast Charger Kit for Panasonic DMW-BLC12, DMW-BLC12E, DMW-BLC12PP and DE-A79 work with Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200, DMC-FZ1000, DMC-G5, DMC-G6, DMC-GH2 Cameras
  • Like 1

Yup, the ULQ. But I it was $28 including shipping, not $75. I got it from a seller on Amazon. Wonder why the price went up? I see it is now going for $60 on Amazon.

The Nitecore NIkon and Canon chargers are $19.95, but the ULQ is $59.95. Seems a rip off for Leica. Bummer. Looks like a nice charger.

Pardon my ignorance but why do you need to use a different charger for a different battery?

I charge a Lumix DMW-BLC12PP in my Q charger and it seems to work just fine.

Won't consider using 3rd party batteries at all.

Thanks

You don’t need a different charger, but some like myself are never satisfied with the status quo. I use the LUMIX charger when I’m traveling because it’s much smaller than the Leica charger and I only need a micro-USB cord for it. It’s part of chasing perfection which is never attainable, but the quest is fun anyway.

• Like 4

Pardon my ignorance but why do you need to use a different charger for a different battery?

Try again... sometimes you do, sometimes you dont.   Depends upon the form factor of the battery along with voltage and current specs.

Edited by marchyman

• 1 month later...

Nitecore website shows the ULQ offered now is an updated version, perhaps explaining why B&H (temporarily?) shows it discontinued. I just got a new ULQ yesterday from the Nitecore store, works great.

Edited by Dougg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Late to the conversation here. But I purchased Wasabi clone batteries for my D-Lux without worry, but went with the expensive Leica branded battery for my Q. 

One middle road option: Last time I looked, Adorama had several "used" batteries for the Q at discount. I assume these were only used for a short period in demo cameras.

• 1 year later...
On 2/22/2018 at 10:01 AM, Leica Guy said:

I use the Panasonic charger model DE-A79. It has the fold out plug.

I also located a Lemix DC-K5 and it’s great for traveling. It only requires a micro-USB plugged in.

I like that it’s so small.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks for the information. Does this work for the Q or the Q2

21 hours ago, CherylA said:

Thanks for the information. Does this work for the Q or the Q2? 

Only the Q. The Q2 battery is much larger and a different design. I like the Nitecore chargers. Small and they work very reliably off a USB connection. Handy. They’re made for the Q and the Q2

• Like 1