Third Party Batteries

bobmcg

I would appreciate any guidance on third-party batteries.  I'm a new Q owner and the manual has some menacing statements about using only Leica OEM batteries.  Thanks in advance.

Best,

Bob

I've been using non-Leica batteries for almost two years with zero problems.  It is a standard Panasonic specification.  I only have Leica ones here with me so I can't tell you which other ones I use.

There are counterfeit and non-OEM batteries all over the internet. Some are fine, others can definitely damage your camera's electronics. When you spend more than $4000 on a camera, why take a chance just to save a few bucks?

(Note: It's now more than two years later so I'd like to amend the $4000 figure and change it to $8000.)

(Another year has passed. Now $9000.)

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

The Lumix DMW-BLC12PP is identical to the Leica battery. I use them all the time and you can get 3 Lumix batteries for the price of one Leica battery. I also use the Lumix charger with my Leica and Lumix batteries. It's smaller than the Leica charger and has a fold out plug instead of a power cord. Much more convenient and easier to travel with.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

The Lumix DMW-BLC12PP is identical to the Leica battery. I use them all the time and you can get 3 Lumix batteries for the price of one Leica battery. I also use the Lumix charger with my Leica and Lumix batteries. It's smaller than the Leica charger and has a fold out plug instead of a power cord. Much more convenient and easier to travel with.

+1. I have the same battery and charger. Works great.

• Like 2

I have some Wasabi Power batteries that are made from "Premium Cells from Japan".   They work, but... they don't last nearly as long as the stock Leica battery.   Since I have two of them (plus the stock battery) it's not much of an issue.  On the positive side, they were quite cheap.

If I ever need to buy more batteries I'll look at the Lumix version.

In stock right now at B&H under the Panasonic name.

I checked again and am now unsure. I own the Panasonic LUMIX DMW-BLC12PP. It works fine in my Q. I checked on B&H and they’re selling the DMW-BLC12E. I’m not familiar with that model. It physically looks the same, but someone asked in the reviews would it work with a Leica Q and it was answered with NO. So, now I don’t know. I’d buy the Leica branded one and not look back.

I just read that there are a lot of fake Lumix batteries on the market and in eBay. Careful.

Edited by Infiniumguy

Before I bought my Q, I own both a Nikon D7000 and a Lumix GX1 M4/3 camera.  If there is a weakness with the Q, it is the battery. I get more output with the GX1, and it goes without saying the Nikon, as opposed to the bad battery in the Q (I have four).  With all of the technology available, why a better battery is not available at this time baffles me. I wish that the pending firmware upgrade will include some type improvement to the integrity of thy battery system. German engineering at its worst!

For original battery quality you can buy a Sigma BP-51 Li-Ion Battery. It's from the same factory (Wuxi China) as the original Leica or Panasonic battery. You can get it for round about 25,- Euros here in Europe (Amazon etc.).

All other batteries on the market are clones from the original batteries with lower capacity in the majority of cases, no matter what capacity is printed on it. With the Sigma BP-51 Li-Ion battery you get the original battery with a different label on it, but it is absolut technically identical to the Leica or Panasonic version. No risk with poor quality or inflating batteries for 1/3 of the price of the Leica battery.
  • Like 5

For original battery quality you can buy a Sigma BP-51 Li-Ion Battery. It's from the same factory (Wuxi China) as the original Leica or Panasonic battery. You can get it for round about 25,- Euros here in Europe (Amazon etc.).

All other batteries on the market are clones from the original batteries with lower capacity in the majority of cases, no matter what capacity is printed on it. With the Sigma BP-51 Li-Ion battery you get the original battery with a different label on it, but it is absolut technically identical to the Leica or Panasonic version. No risk with poor quality or inflating batteries for 1/3 of the price of the Leica battery.

Thank you! This was exactly what I was looking for.

• Like 1

Could you provide a model number for the LUMIX charger?

Thanks in advance,

Stephan

I use the Panasonic charger model DE-A79. It has the fold out plug.

I also located a Lemix DC-K5 and it’s great for traveling. It only requires a micro-USB plugged in.

I like that it’s so small.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1