Superb image quality in large prints from S

djmay

Looking great Jesse! :) I second that, I printed many S images large for my last exhibition that opened in October, and I was extremely happy with the results. Great files, and they print just beautifully! :)

Best regards,

Vieri

Looking great Jesse! :) I second that, I printed many S images large for my last exhibition that opened in October, and I was extremely happy with the results. Great files, and they print just beautifully! :)

Best regards,

Vieri

Thank you Vieri.

Jesse

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-850L using Tapatalk

For landscapes, I like printing to a maximum size of 40”x27” off my M240 + 50 APO, but think it looks too stretched and “not quite right” in prints bigger than that.

For those of you that have an S (especially an S007) and either a 24mp SL or M.....how much bigger can you print off the S whilst getting the equivalent image quality as you get from the smaller sensor SL / M?

Do you think S files can be printed larger than the relatively minor increase in megapixels over an SL / M would suggest?

Genuinely interested in your answers (I’m thinking of moving from M to S), and any other thoughts on landscape prints in terms of differences (tonality?) between the S and 24mp FF cameras would be enormously helpful.

Jon, I'll share my experience, YMMV.  I use an M, SL and an S007, while the SL is a fantastic camera I rarely use it for my fine art print work.  The small increase in pixels make a proportional difference, the real difference comes with the larger pixels and the stellar S glass.  The tonal graduations, micro-contrast, blah, blah, blah, etc., are just better.  

Dimensions are in inches - I routinely print from (roughly) 16x20 to 44x55 and a few times much larger (I'm dating myself since I still think in 4x5 ratios) - obviously, the print size varies by the image.  The SL has a harder time getting to 44x55 although it can certainly be done, heck it is art so anything can be done!  The 2:3 format is not my favorite since I grew up with 4:5, so you lose in the format translation.  It also depends on viewing distance, lighting and is the work "background art" or in a gallery - the gallery environment is less forgiving - but again it depends on the nature of the subjects and genres.  I used to supervise high volume printing for a major home goods retailer, they have a whole line of fast selling photographic art prints, clearly from tiny sensors, and it gets printed 36x48 and larger - they can't keep the stuff in stock, I can see the pixels from 3' away - so it all depends on intended use.  

If your going for the traditional Group f/64 look, in prints, then the S is a good choice.  The SL is a more flexible system and the M, while unique, is such a wonderful shooting experience, obviously, the camera you have with you is the best camera :)  If you have the resources and can put up with the rigorous shooting discipline Medium Format is still an advantage (and yes the D850 and the Fuji GFX50S and Pentax 645Z are all fine cameras and the extra resolution is nice to have - however if you like the Leica Gestalt and that lovely Leica glass, especially the S, then there is no real alternative).  Every time I take a diversion I waste time and $ since I'm soon back with Leica.

My POV is that the S produces superior prints from 16x20 and up - many folks would argue the transition point for Medium format is higher, I'll stand by my experience and print sales :)  Hopefully, these thoughts are useful to you, good luck with whatever you decide.

Kind regards, Glenn

Edited by photography2art
  • Like 7

I work as a printer and I would say that print size is totally subjective. I have had video artists ask to print 640x480 SD video stills at 1m long. I explained to them all the reasons they shouldn't, and they went ahead and were delighted with the results. My largest prints from the S 006 are 1mX1.5m, which is the maximum practical size from my printer. These were hung in the National Museum here in Iceland and some of them are now in my studio. People regularly comment on how nice they look. One is only at about 120dpi at that size, but I imagine that they can be printed bigger and still look excellent, as long as there is some allowance for loss of fine detail when close to the print. The largest I ever felt comfortable printing from the M9 was 1mX60, and that could sometimes be a problem if there was fine detail like grass, as the M9 still had issues with aliasing in that kind of texture. I just got an M10, but have not had the chance to test yet. But looking at the files, I would not think it could go much larger than the M9...perhaps a bit. The finest textures seem less sharp than in the M9, though of course it has a bit higher resolution. In that sense, I think it would be a bit of a wash when it comes to making prints. I think I would still top out at about 1m on the long side. Interestingly, I did some prints from the first Monochrom for an artist here in the 1x1.5 meter range, and while it held up much better than the M9, it was no comparison to the S. Sometimes those extra pixels really make a difference, and in very large prints with this caliber of camera, the extra pixels do indeed translate into ability to print larger. 

• Like 5

I have done and do a great deal of large printing and have files from the M9 and M240, the SL, the S007 and Hasselblad H6D-100c.  In very large prints (say 30x50") all four (M,SL,S and H) can print very well but the S and H are clearly distinguishable from the M and SL in very fine detail, subtlety of color gradations and apparent depth of the images. The H wins the contest, but at 100MP one would expect this but the difference from the S is less than one would think.  The S does a beautiful job indeed.

• Like 1

"My POV is that the S produces superior prints from 16x20 and up - many folks would argue the transition point for Medium format is higher, I'll stand by my experience and print sales :)  Hopefully, these thoughts are useful to you, good luck with whatever you decide.

Kind regards, Glenn"

Hi Glenn, thanks for your post. I have an S print 22" x 33" on my wall. I made a similar image with my RM3di, 70 HR & CFV-50c and stuck it underneath the Leica print. I look at them daily. The Leica is the 100/2 shot wide open, the MF is at f5.6 (as wide as it will go). Yes, there are all sorts of differences between shooting these images but the bottom line is that it is the Leica print which is stunning. If you take a loupe and check out the fine detail then the Rodenstock is a tiny bit sharper, but not enough to make a single bit of difference in looking at the overall image.  And yes, I do kick myself occasionally that I divested myself of my S gear. I do sorta lust after an X1D, but not that EVF. The OVF of the S is simply outstanding. I would never rule out getting back in the Leica S game.
John
  • Like 2

Hi Glenn, thanks for your post. I have an S print 22" x 33" on my wall. I made a similar image with my RM3di, 70 HR & CFV-50c and stuck it underneath the Leica print. I look at them daily. The Leica is the 100/2 shot wide open, the MF is at f5.6 (as wide as it will go). Yes, there are all sorts of differences between shooting these images but the bottom line is that it is the Leica print which is stunning. If you take a loupe and check out the fine detail then the Rodenstock is a tiny bit sharper, but not enough to make a single bit of difference in looking at the overall image. .....

John

Thanks for your comments. Resolution aside, do you find the “look / rendering” from the Leica S is different to your tech cam with its Rodie lens? Eg, is the Leica S’ rendering more film-like / less digitally sharp .....or is the rendering pretty much the same between both systems?

The rendering is much different but a lot depends on technique. It's not really a fair fight as the faster lenses of the S can make for dreamy bg's. If pushed, I would say the Leica produces a more organic file.

But as far as film-like goes, I have the versatility to shoot a film back (and I do) on the tech-cam :).