Current Sensor Replacement Times

Deliberate1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just for the record. My M-E and M9 Monochrom arrived yesterday. I shipped them to Wetzlar on July 24 for sensor replacement.

One happy camper!

Wait a moment, I thought Wetzlar turn-around was touted as faster than Leica-Nuevo Jersey? I count 20 weeks here.

Wait a moment, I thought Wetzlar turn-around was touted as faster than Leica-Nuevo Jersey? I count 20 weeks here.

Liam,

Leica Italia (I live in Italy) gave me an estimate of 8 - 12 weeks when I sent the cameras in. But yes, it took quite a bit longer.

Patrick

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

One wonders whether at the time Leics needed to decide about how many sensors they would need over the upcoming years, they could not predict the failure rate and so purchased them in batches manufactured every so often I’d be curious was the actual failure rate is and if any of the original sensors will survive much longer.

I received a confirmation from Leica in New Jersey on august 18. Yesterday, i called them to be told that they are waiting for sensors and i might have to wait until the end of january.

By the time, i'll received it, i may just sell it since i'm starting to forget about it, there is others cameras...

Edited by Mylek

M9-P just back :-) ... sent via Ffordes on 25th July.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter is visiting Germany so I email Leica to see if she can pick up my monochrom at Wetzlar. They emailed me back that my camera is still in New Jersey waiting for the sensor. I thought the camera would be in Germany. That means they do the replacement here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By the way I sent my camera into New Jersey right before the deadline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worse than the usual long poor service trip.

Trade it up to 240 if they will,  or better yet a M 10.   Since truesnce no longer sells to leica,  they are  probably not in a hurry to make a short run low volume of them and naturally Leica is not willing to let them make a profit.   

Service is terrible in New Jersey, always had been except when one of the repair people became a manager for 5 years 20 years ago.   

If they were not the only game in town,  they would be gone.  They are hanging on their history to keep going.   

Then they come out with all the EVF cameras that are caca.  Go look through one and pan/recompose.  It will make you dizzy and you can not time a shot.  

Hi everyone,

I just received my M9 back from Leica NJ.  I sent it to them in July and it took them approx. 27 weeks to get it back to me in Vancouver, BC. I am very happy to have it back!

I must say that I wish that Leica was a bit more proactive about communication, as I had no idea that the camera was on its way to me, and I almost missed the package notice from UPS.  I wish they had sent me an email with tracking info once the camera was on its way, which is something even private sellers on eBay seem to manage with a $5 part.  

That said, Leica seem to have done a great job on the camera (at least cosmetically with the new leather and freshly cleaned and adjusted camera), and I am looking forward to carrying it out to take some pictures tomorrow.

Best,

Jeff

• Like 2

Thank you for the report, Jeff. I'm getting emotionally and gear ready to send my M-E to NJ location. It looks like we have two options available in GTA. Send or bring to authorized dealer to send it. I wonder, if I do it via dealer, who is going to receive it back? UPS here will dump the package outside. They did it for professional equipment which cost much more than Leica camera... They lost our company cheque for ten of thousands dollars in 2017.

Is it possible just to drive-in to Leica NJ, submit camera and pickup then it is done? I did it with Canon gear in Toronto (Canada) Canon service center. I could make it to NJ and back and visit NYC to take some pictures, with non-Leica camera. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So far its been longer than that.

Dave (D&A)

I sent my MM in last May (2017) and received it back in late November.  I sent my M9-p in just before deadline, I had been convinced that there was no damage and then checked again and there it was, minimal but real. I got email from them that it is now on it's way.  When I called several times I was told basically where they were in catching up. Delay in NJ has been acquiring sensors and the 2-3 techs can repair 3 cameras a day apparently.  They are doing the August batch of cameras now.

Sent my M9 off on Jan 22, got it back today. Six week turnaround isn't bad, all things considered. I would have had it two days ago except they used UPS for the return shipment and UPS messed around with it in their usual fashion, had it sitting in their warehouse since the weekend, 35k from here. The outbound shipment via Fedex went perfectly.

Communication with Leica customer service was excellent throughout the whole process. My only gripe was that they're still living in the dark ages as far as electronic payment is concerned. Asking you to send your Visa number via email is a bad start and then keying in your number manually gets red lights blazing at the Visa fraud offices.

They appear to have done a decent job although, given that I had to pay for the sensor replacement since I was past the deadline, I'm a little disappointed that they didn't fix a couple of scratches on the top plate, neither did they touch up the writing on the menu, set, ISO etc. buttons on the rear, which has become very faint over time.

Do we get value for the premium we pay for Leica gear? For me, the jury is still out on that question.

Sent my M9 off on Jan 22, got it back today. Six week turnaround isn't bad, all things considered. I would have had it two days ago except they used UPS for the return shipment and UPS messed around with it in their usual fashion, had it sitting in their warehouse since the weekend, 35k from here. The outbound shipment via Fedex went perfectly.

Communication with Leica customer service was excellent throughout the whole process. My only gripe was that they're still living in the dark ages as far as electronic payment is concerned. Asking you to send your Visa number via email is a bad start and then keying in your number manually gets red lights blazing at the Visa fraud offices.

They appear to have done a decent job although, given that I had to pay for the sensor replacement since I was past the deadline, I'm a little disappointed that they didn't fix a couple of scratches on the top plate, neither did they touch up the writing on the menu, set, ISO etc. buttons on the rear, which has become very faint over time.

Do we get value for the premium we pay for Leica gear? For me, the jury is still out on that question.

I assume (but am not sure), that you sent your M9 to Leica, N.J.?  If so, I think you can look at this in a number of ways.  I sent my cameras to them just before the deadline in mid August and am still waiting for them, 7 months later so apparently if one has to pay for a sensor replacement, they jump to the head of the line. 6 weeks is fantastic!  As for scratches on the top plate, I believe they are very expensive.  Years ago when a friend inquired about replacing his top plate of his M9, he was quoted something around $1200 or more!  As for touching up faded lettering near the rear buttons, that might require replacement of a major part of the body.  Not sure if they have the means to simply retouch lettering. 

If you sent your camera to Germany, then of course timing on repairs might be quite different.

Dave