Collapsable 50/2.8 Elmar on the SL

dritz

Correct..... theoretically .... from a depth and sensor point of view.

On the M the diameter of the collapsible barrel is within 1-2mm of the interior of the body above and below, so a 'wobbly' 50/2.8 can scrape against this when collapsing. 

A brief measure today suggests there is even less space on the SL and I think the barrel will probably hit the body interior and not retract fully. 

As a result I'm not volunteering to try it ......  ;)

Edited by thighslapper

Having no SL I can only assume:

The problem with collapsing lenses on the M is not caused by the distance to the sensor but by the risk that the collapsed tube hits the little wheel to activate the rangefinder. The SL has no such device. As always any collapsible lens should only be attached to or taken from the camera when it is fully protracted. Normally a lense properly attached will not wobble in a way to hit the sides of the camera‘s „throat“ when you collapse it, since the tube has a much smaller diameter than the camera‘s mount. The only exception is the old collpsible 4/90mm Elmar, which has a very broad tube‘s end.

It collapses without issue, right?  I mean, with the adapter it should be the same distance to the sensor as on an M.

Right?

In addition to all technical aspects, I feel the proportions of a SL somewhat unbalanced, if too small M lenses are set.
The new Summaron-M 5.6-28mm mounted on the SL, looks like a ridiculously small children's toy.
The same applies to small retractable lenses such as the Elmar-M 2.8-50mm, whose ancestor was still designed for the handy Barnack screw mount Leica.

I am using it on SL though I won't risk the camera for retracted position ................

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 10 months later...

not an Elmar but..

SL + Summitar 50mm [collapsible] @f2 via Voigtlander M39>M adapter

@ MAP Camera Leica Store in Shinjuku, Tokyo

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have the 50mm Elmar-M - and no, it won’t collapse fully into the SL body - it hits the plastic frame around the edge of the sensor. Good news is that it’s diameter prevents it from hitting the sensor - bad news is that it marks up the plastic… I’d guess I’d recommend not collapsing it if you are concerned about that 🤗

Thank you for that. I've got this combination and couldn't even get a straight answer- yes or no from the Leica store.

( Why they don't know since it's a Leica product is a mystery! ) 

I was afraid to try it myself and in the end decided to keep the Elmar 50 2.8 on my M body where it gives beautiful results and instead use my 35 Summicron on my SL camera. 

The lens is a gem. Glad I bought one.