Tab and Hood for my "new" Summicron 50/f2

marke

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently got a good deal on a Summicron 50/f2 at ebay. Serial # 245XXXX.

The original owner said that when he bought it new, it wasn't supplied with a hood. I was under the impression that all Sum 50's before the built-in hood version, came with a removeable one. Maybe I won't even use one, but I am curious as to what Leica originally supplied and what I could use these days.

Also, does anybody know if this lens could have a focussing tab installed? I love the tab on my Sum 35/f2, and I was thinking about getting this 50 converted if possible.

Thanks!

Mark,

The old Summicron (50´s) used the same hood of Summitar. It is square and folding. Closed, not more than a credit card. I use one with my Summitar, and it is marked Summicron also. When I started with it I thought very very strange (and it is!). But very pratical and discrete. Now I prefer this type than the rounded... :) And because it is strange it is cheap! (here in Brasil around US$20,00).

Martin

The hood for the first type Summicron was, as already said, a folding square "box", black, with retaining springs : code SOOFM (for the Summitar only there was the almost identical SOOPD, retained by a screw). Good to use: when folded it acts as a lens cap and is impossible you forget to "remove" it ! :) (a typical problem with caps...); by the other side... Summicron + SOOFM don't fit in the std. everyready case. Surely wasn't supplied std. with the lens at the times. I have seen a pair of nonsense offerings of SOOFM on Ebay (>100 US$ !) ; and an italian shop has one for sale at 40 Euro, right price after all.

But... another hood was then sold for the Summicron 50 : it is the IROOA aka 12571, more "normal" : round, metal, also it spring-retained : the chrome ring at the base is engraved with the lenses it was build for (it fits also some 35mm): also it is easy to find: the SOOFM is more "strange" and also functional, in my mind: with the IROOA mounted you cannot cover the lens.

And also the IROOA has an almost twin brother, the ITDOO...and it was built in two versions..

SOOFM...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

IROOA type 1

IROOA type 2

;)Love a lot to speak of these items ;)

I recently got a good deal on a Summicron 50/f2 at ebay. Serial # 245XXXX.

The original owner said that when he bought it new, it wasn't supplied with a hood. I was under the impression that all Sum 50's before the built-in hood version, came with a removeable one. Maybe I won't even use one, but I am curious as to what Leica originally supplied and what I could use these days.

Also, does anybody know if this lens could have a focussing tab installed? I love the tab on my Sum 35/f2, and I was thinking about getting this 50 converted if possible.

Thanks!

...About the focusing tab..you say it doesn't have it ? Strange...but maybe I do not remember well... 2.45x.xxx means "third version"... I thought it had (or is it already of the version with the "50" engraving at the base...mmmh, I get confused...and haven't here the BOOKS...).

Anyway, if not present, I think difficult to add one do-it-yourself... and a well-done work by some lab would be costly and maybe risky (soldering ?...brrr...)

Keep it like is: Cron 50 is beautiful ! Want a tabbed ? Buy an older version ! And if you have a M body, and USE it, find the DR version ! (or the collapsible... just to have something all different). Keep in mind that yours is A DIFFERENT lens from the previous versions, DR or not: they were 7 elements vs. 6 element yours... someone says olders=sharper and a little less contrast... I don't enter the question... Summicrons are all great lenses.

....another due detail... the pictures of the 3 hoods I attached are not MINE: a courtesy (I didn't ask, BTW..."save image as...") of Leicashop of Wien www.leicashop.com : one of the best dealer in Europe. :) But I have them all, of course... hoods give a collector the capabilty to try to arrange a complete sub-collection without being a billionaire :)

...About the focusing tab..you say it doesn't have it ? Strange...but maybe I do not remember well... 2.45x.xxx means "third version"... I thought it had (or is it already of the version with the "50" engraving at the base...mmmh, I get confused...and haven't here the BOOKS...).

Anyway, if not present, I think difficult to add one do-it-yourself... and a well-done work by some lab would be costly and maybe risky (soldering ?...brrr...)

Keep it like is: Cron 50 is beautiful ! Want a tabbed ? Buy an older version ! And if you have a M body, and USE it, find the DR version ! (or the collapsible... just to have something all different). Keep in mind that yours is A DIFFERENT lens from the previous versions, DR or not: they were 7 elements vs. 6 element yours... someone says olders=sharper and a little less contrast... I don't enter the question... Summicrons are all great lenses.

At home, looked at the BOOKS... correct, your lens has not focusing tab... but I think the lens unit unscrews from the mount (? - older did - and the SOMKY macro device, that required lens unit unscrewed, was available until '73, your lens is from '70...); you could try to "build your own bastard Cron" :) ... find a cheap-scratched Cron 1st design (not collapsible ;) )... throw away the lens unit, put your lens unit on it... so better if the old is chrome :p ! (yours is surely black). Could work... there is the well known issue of the real focal lengths (51.2 51.6 52.2...) but if you are lucky... almost a unique specimen !:D

really I am exaggerating with posts on this thread... but when you love such gear as me...