Looking for quickly detachable neck strap for iiif and iiig.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Any ideas? I do not want one that involves fiddling with split-rings but one that may be quickly attached or detached. Decades ago I had a superb strap (possibly Benser) which had spring loaded small hooks that retracted into a plastic body (sold with my Leica iiia in 1970s: stupid move!). I have considered a snake chain but cannot find anything that is not looking a bit clapped out! Any ideas most welcome!

Luigi Crescenzi of Leicatime makes a quick release strap in 15mm wide leather in a wide range of colours. Like all Luigi's stuff it is not cheap but beautifully made from the highest quality leather. I have quite a bit of Luigi's products and whereas I mentally squeak, when I order, at the price even 10 years on, my oldest straps from him, look like new. This is a screen grab of the strap. 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Luigi Crescenzi of Leicatime makes a quick release strap in 15mm wide leather in a wide range of colours. Like all Luigi's stuff it is not cheap but beautifully made from the highest quality leather. I have quite a bit of Luigi's products and whereas I mentally squeak, when I order, at the price even 10 years on, my oldest straps from him, look like new. This is a screen grab of the strap. 

Wilson

My thanks for that. I did a bit of trawling on Luigi's site and was impressed! However, i then discovered an account of one of these clips breaking, on the Rangefinder Forum, which makes me wonder if they are a good idea! See here -

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129757

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Here are a few, basically the same principle.  All aftermarket I think, although I recall a Nikon one somewhere that was robust.  Not sure how strong these in the photo are.

• Like 1

The shackle is the the problem. I've tried several small ones from climbers' and sailors's stores, presumably produced to similar specs as bigger ones, that keep people alive. I had one hold/release the basic house key from the rest in order to take along when jogging. And then the next model etc. All small shackles I had wore out after a while - how could they be as solid as a small steel ring of the same size? I would not risk to drop a camera, rather than the occasional effort to take a ring off.

I found the current Leica strap very quick to attach and remove. The trick is to attach the metal bit by itself to the lug, and then thread the strap through the metal bit. But I no longer use the Leica strap. I prefer the Domke Gripper strap with swivel quick release. With the strap itself removed the ends up to the swivel remain attached to the camera. I don't find them to be a bother. Attaching the strap to the ends is lightning fast.

• Like 1

All these would be around a lot more (what's the proportion versus fixed straps? 1 in 100 or 1000?) if they worked - taken on and off but mainly carrying the cameras of busy pros without surprises, in the long run.

Constant duty reliable ones are big and cluncky and don't match the beauty of a Barnack Leica imo.