Flash synchro with firmware 3.0

Bohns

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all,

I saw that one of the benefit the most commented by the new software version 3.0 concerns the electronic shutter, from now on available on all the speeds, per opposition to the previous version of the firmware which authorized it only above 1/8000s.

Has it an effect on the flash synchronization ? Does it stay in 1/250s or can it synchronize faster thanks to this electronic obturation (like 1/2000s as on Q)? Because in this case, it would allow very interesting perspectives...

Thank you for your return.

Best Regards,

Stef.

Edited by Bohns

The hotshoe is disabled when silent shutter is enabled. So you HAVE to use the mechanical shutter. The electronic shutter is a rolling shutter (like all current digital cameras of this type). It'll need to be a global electronic shutter before you'll be able to use flash and electronic shutter. that's a couple of sensor generations away.

The 1/2000 sync speed in the Q is because it has a leaf shutter.

Gordon

In theory, the SL does not support any wireless triggered HSS even on Leica flash.

Somehow I've managed to make off camera flash above 1/180s work on pocket wizard plus IIIs with manual flash to fill in flash.

34951852584_c57cf08b10_b.jpgHSR OCF set up.001 by sillbeers15

Edited by sillbeers15
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In theory, the SL does not support any wireless triggered HSS even on Leica flash.

I'm not quite sure that's how it works, entirely.

Certainly for HSS TTL flash you'll need support and protocols to be in place. But that's the trigger not the camera. If the SL "thinks" there's a flash with HSS on the shoe when it's a TTL and HSS trigger it'll still fire as if it's a hot shoe flash. All the cool stuff is in the trigger. It's only when we get to wireless TTL in groups that the camera needs to be able to talk to the guns individually.

Manual flash is easier again. The trigger manufacturer needs to be able to trigger with either the correct pulsing flash or long flash tail. The shutter just travels like it does on any other brand.

It's not like Leica disable the shoe above 1/250th when the shutter is mechanical.

Gordon

Thanks Gordon,

I actually saw two burst of flash coming out of the manual flash light (Lumopro LP180) when I fire OCF via PW+3s.Also technically, I should see a half black pics when I sync above 1/180 s as the SL uses a focal plane shutter.

• Like 1

Hello,

Thank you for your visit and answers.

I understand from all your answers that I will not get Higher synchro than 1/250 s with my current lighting gear on the SL, unless I buy a Leica flash like SF40 or SF64, and trigger my strobes from the flash on the hotshoe...

I will receive my SL body next week. I will test this, but it is somewhat limitating unless I keep using my strobes only in studio at a lower than synchro speed.

Any other recipe ?

Regards,

Stef

This is indeed what I consider "limitating". I mean the burden of ND-filters and lower speed. But it is true it covers most needs.

Send an email to Leica and tell them what you need. If enough people ask you may receive.....

What Leica should do is give Godox their TTL protocols information. It may even be possible to use the X1N (if the hardware will support the SL hotshoe) with custom firmware if Godox had the protocols. Buy the X1N and then download the Leica firmware and overwrite.

I know Leica want to make money and I understand their desire to have a relationship with a German company like Metz but really they need to give up on reselling flashes with a red dot on them and make the protocols open source or just give them away to Godox and Nissin. They'd make more money from camera sales if the SL and S has OCF capabilities than they would by selling a few hot shoe flashes at inflated prices.

Gordon

Send an email to Leica and tell them what you need. If enough people ask you may receive.....

What Leica should do is give Godox their TTL protocols information. It may even be possible to use the X1N (if the hardware will support the SL hotshoe) with custom firmware if Godox had the protocols. Buy the X1N and then download the Leica firmware and overwrite.

I know Leica want to make money and I understand their desire to have a relationship with a German company like Metz but really they need to give up on reselling flashes with a red dot on them and make the protocols open source or just give them away to Godox and Nissin. They'd make more money from camera sales if the SL and S has OCF capabilities than they would by selling a few hot shoe flashes at inflated prices.

Gordon

On a different thread, I had asked about HSS options for the Leica SL.  Another reader referred me to the Priolite strobes.  They make a strobe that can sync at all available shutter speeds they claim.  I ordered one but haven't tested it out yet because they are backordered on the Leica transmitter. I would prefer to use my Profoto strobes as I already have an extensive stable of them to use with my Nikon system.  I asked Profoto if they have any plans to make a transmitter for Leica that supports HSS but they said no comment. 

I would prefer the option of a 3rd party full TTL wireless transmitter:receiver be made available to us Leica users. This gives us the option to choose using Leica flashes or others. This way there is flexibility as mentioned by other users. For this to happen, Leica must provide the source code for 3rd party wireless trams/rec makers to develop the dedicated Leica protocol system. Judging from the current state, it looks like Leica did Not provide any open source code as the HS strobe maker could deliver HS non TTL strobe wirelessly controlled via the transmitter. Leica should see that when there are more lenses and accessories offered by either Leics or 3rd party maker, it will make Leica cameras and lenses more attractive to more users which Leica is targeting the SL to be a mass market product judging from the current marketing strategies including price cut. Apple is a success story based on many attractive apps developed by 3rd party developers. In the past, the market sees Leica as a small volume producer of camera and lenses generally ignored by the mass. Leica users made it worst by no adapting any off camera flash needs in photography and proudly proclaiming so. I cannot understand the resistance other than ignorance in using OCF. I see OCF as a tool in providing me to create the pic I want. Many commercial shots were created this way. The successful ones are the ones that appear to be natural looking w:o artificial lighting to the untrained eye. I really hope that Leica is business savvy enough to offer open source code on it's flash synchronization and AF control so that we can soon see 3rd party radio flash trans/receivers and AF M to T lens adapters available in the market. I'm certain this availability will in return attract more new buyers to Leica and not make the stupid mistake again of stop developing autofocus cameras when the rest of the world moved forward. Unless Leica planned to become an obsolete brand soon.