monitor screen protector

I know there will be plenty of people on this forum far more knowledgeable than me as a very new Q owner but I do know my Fuji XPro1 did get scratched from what I assume was the zip on the front of my jacket while hanging round my neck. My D800 came with a plastic cover (but not a touch screen obviously)and I always thought that a good idea, not least since Nikon clearly did! As to my Q it was such a big investment I didn't hesitate to get a monitor protector. Yes, it does make a slight difference to the appearance of the monitor and probably the view of the image but I have never relied on the monitor for anything other than a quick look at the image to check focus if it was likely to be critical. So for me it was just a bit of worthwhile insurance.

I have one but haven't applied it yet--it's my second one.  I really messed up the first one trying to get it lined up and bubble free.  

That little experienced prompted my post.   

Try smearing the screen first with water with just a drop of washing up liquid in it. This will let you slide the film around until you are happy with position and then smooth out from one side.

As I recall it there is a little sticky pad and micro fibre cloth with the Leica one and I found that prepared the LCD just fine - admittedly I did this immediately after unboxing. I would certainly be wary of putting water and washing up liquid on. Doesn't that reduce the adhesion? I found it easiest to line up the long edge and the top corners first and then smooth down.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I never use a screen protector although my Q is being used heavily. But what I do is when packing it in a bag or rucksack I wrap it in a cloth for cameras. This prevents it from scratches during transport. The crystal glass is quite strong. I use a strap like Black Rapid so the camera is not hanging down from my neck on any buttons or zips from any jackets. 

• 2 weeks later...