Leica SL LCD Protector

bherman01545

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All;

I own a Leica M240, which has a Gorilla Glass (similar to what's on the iPhone) cover on the LCD. I just purchased a Leica SL, and was told that it has the same 'Gorilla Glass' LCD cover, but I think that it does not, since it has to accommodate the touch screen. The touch screen isn't an absolute 'must' for me. I have heard from some forum members that the SL's LCD is fairly easy to scratch, and even one member said that the zipper pull on their jacket left an indent or impression on the LCD.

What have your experiences been? I mean, I did purchase the pack of two Leica LCD screen protector foils, but I'm afraid that they won't offer much in the way of protection. I would be willing to forfeit the touch screen in exchange for a more robust LCD protector.

What do you guys use?

Thanks!

-Brad

Touch screen inclusion has basically nothing to do with the inclusion or exclusion of Gorilla Glass. You can find touch screens with Gorilla Glass, alternative hardened glass, sapphire, etc.

That said I don't know what Leica is using with the SL as they don't advertise exactly what was used. If they were using Corning's Gorilla Glass they would say so, and if they were using sapphire they would say so. I assume they're using another type of hardened scratch resistant glass without naming the vendor.

I have the Leica protective foil on my SL and have had no issues with scratches, cracks, etc. I've not previously used protective foils on my Leica M-P or recent Nikons (D4, D4s).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Credible sources inside Leica Wetzlar responded when I asked through a friend: the SL LCD cover is a gorilla glass variant. 

Note that even gorilla glass can be damaged. A cover won't protect it for long if you're always working your way through it. Hanging the camera around your neck up against a metal buckle or zipper is a perfect way to cut into the gorilla glass over time. 

My SL is a year and a half old (arrived November 16, 2015) and has been used constantly since. I never fit protectors, it's never had one on it. There's not a mark on its LCD cover glass. Of course, I don't wear this camera around my neck ... It is either in my hand or in the shoulder bag when I'm walking. 

I use a Sony "semi-hard" protector that I had on my A7R.  I sold the A7R and kept the protector.  Advice from Google was to wash it in warm water with dish-wash detergent and dry in air to regenerate the adhesive property.  It sticks on perfectly and is a close fit - but has to be upside down so the unequal borders match up.  It's much more robust than a thin film-like protector but still enables the touch screen to work.  I've had it off the camera a couple of times and the washing procedure worked each time. Cost is about £12 in the UK, and I see is about 12$ in the US. I feel much more at ease with it on than off!

Graeme