No M-D typ262 in new brochure?

PhotoEd

Traditional?

Because film cameras had one?

I don't know if you have noticed, but the reason the M10  looks like it looks today is part of this tradition, or do you think it's coincidence that the M 10 'body is like it is.  

No with an ISO dial on the back. That's more the traditional place.

Traditional?

Because film cameras had one?

Yes, as a memory note recalling what film was inside :p

I don't know if you have noticed, but the reason the M10  looks like it looks today is part of this tradition, or do you think it's coincidence that the M 10 'body is like it is.

Yes, film cameras had a reminder knob and then a film speed control in the same location as the ISO dial on the M-D, so there is a stylistic history to it.

Separate from that, however, is that on the M-D typ 262, it simply works better than the ISO knob on the M10: it's very easy to reach and adjust with your thumbs, has nice and solid detents so that it doesn't get knocked off your favorite setting easily, and can be worked accurately in total darkness as well.

If they keep the same top plate for an M-D10 camera, they can do away with the additional port for the EVF in the hot shoe and repurpose the ISO knob as the drive mode selector. Having a locking drive mode selector for single, continuous, and self-timer modes makes good sense: It's one of the bigger annoyances to me that with the current "off/single/continuous/self timer" switch around the shutter release, I can knock it to the wrong setting inadvertently. They can also add a push-button interface to the switch inside the repurposed ISO knob to replace the now missing little button on the far right, bringing up the "Shots Left" and "Battery State" displays in the viewfinder; it would be easier to work than the current little button is.

Yes, film cameras had a reminder knob and then a film speed control in the same location as the ISO dial on the M-D, so there is a stylistic history to it.

Separate from that, however, is that on the M-D typ 262, it simply works better than the ISO knob on the M10: it's very easy to reach and adjust with your thumbs, has nice and solid detents so that it doesn't get knocked off your favorite setting easily, and can be worked accurately in total darkness as well.

If they keep the same top plate for an M-D10 camera, they can do away with the additional port for the EVF in the hot shoe and repurpose the ISO knob as the drive mode selector. Having a locking drive mode selector for single, continuous, and self-timer modes makes good sense: It's one of the bigger annoyances to me that with the current "off/single/continuous/self timer" switch around the shutter release, I can knock it to the wrong setting inadvertently. They can also add a push-button interface to the switch inside the repurposed ISO knob to replace the now missing little button on the far right, bringing up the "Shots Left" and "Battery State" displays in the viewfinder; it would be easier to work than the current little button is.

I agree with you on the mode selector. It would be much better to have a simple ON/OFF selector like on the M10. The ISO selector on the back is very, very convenient, but the index could be more pronounced. In bad lighting it gets hard to read. Would be nice if (like the M10) the finder would show the ISO for a 2 seconds when changing as a back up indicator in low light conditions. Leica... please? Firmware update?

An M-D 10 would make perfect sense. Just stripping of the screen will make it even thinner. No need to move the ISO dial. But I agree with the idea to show the ISO value in the viewfinder briefly on change for the current model. It's a great idea.