SD Card compatibility issue?

chris_tribble

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The only glitch so far - for some reason neither of my Lexar 633 64GB / 95 MB/s cards are recognised.  They worked fine on the SL and M-240.  I've reformatted using SD Formatter, but the M10 simply doesn't recognise the card and isn't able to format in camera.  

Anyone else with similar experiences?  My Sandisk 32GB 95 MB/s Extreme Pro work fine.

I'll log this with Leica...  Possible firmware issue?

By definition I thought a 64GB card has to be an SDXC card (since SDHC cards are limited to 32gb). I know the file system on SDXC cards is different - exfat vs fat 32. Any chance you're formatting the card as fat32? It's possible the m10 was designed to not read fat 32 formatted SDXC cards.

• Like 1

I played with an M10 for about 10 minutes yesterday in one of the Leica Stores in Europe. They had a 16GB card in it, not sure what brand / model (only saw info in the menu). What I noticed was (i) the images took very long to write on the card, and (ii) some images didn't show on the display. Only file name was visible, but no image. It was on and off - not sure if I tried to review the images too early, while the buffer was still clearing, but I didn't take a large number of pictures (maybe 15-20 in a short time). The sales assistant said the card had been in an M240 before. I formatted the card in the camera and then it displayed the next 5 or so images normally, even though it was still quite slow to write them (the bottom green light flashing). I didn't have more time to explore but frankly was a bit surprised at this behaviour...didn't inspire confidence. (Note: I've used the M8/M9/M240/246 extensively, so I know what the "normal" parameters and behaviour in the digital Leica M world are and this didn't feel right to me, especially after all the talk about how "quick" the M10 is supposed to be). 

[Perhaps off topic and unnecessary provocation here - I've been shooting with the XT-2 and X-Pro2 recently...it makes for a nice change to have no problems with SD cards, buffer size/speed or dirt/gunk on the sensor in a brand new camera].

Edited by albireo_double
  • Like 2

I played with an M10 for about 10 minutes yesterday in one of the Leica Stores in Europe. They had a 16GB card in it, not sure what brand / model (only saw info in the menu). What I noticed was (i) the images took very long to write on the card, and (ii) some images didn't show on the display. Only file name was visible, but no image. It was on and off - not sure if I tried to review the images too early, while the buffer was still clearing, but I didn't take a large number of pictures (maybe 15-20 in a short time). The sales assistant said the card had been in an M240 before. I formatted the card in the camera and then it displayed the next 5 or so images normally, even though it was still quite slow to write them (the bottom green light flashing). I didn't have more time to explore but frankly was a bit surprised at this behaviour...didn't inspire confidence. (Note: I've used the M8/M9/M240/246 extensively, so I know what the "normal" parameters and behaviour in the digital Leica M world are and this didn't feel right to me, especially after all the talk about how "quick" the M10 is supposed to be). 

[Perhaps off topic and unnecessary provocation here - I've been shooting with the XT-2 and X-Pro2 recently...it makes for a nice change to have no problems with SD cards, buffer size/speed or dirt/gunk on the sensor in a brand new camera].

This is all normal.  The card must have been in another camera at the store?  My M10 only displays the file number of the images shot on my M240.  I believe the store must have been using the card in other cameras.  

Write times in my M10 seem fine. The camera will shoot about 5fps for longer than I am interested in.

In general the camera review image pops right up.  I'm not interested in timing anything, so don't ask.  My impression is the camera is way faster and more responsive in all ways than my M240.

Rick

• Like 1

Adding to the question chris_tribble asked, I have a SanDisk ExtremePRO 64GB UHS-II SDXC Memory Card that has speeds of up to 300MB/s read and up to 260MB/s write.

I am not sure if these speeds are supported by M10 or not. Have anyone tried this card or similar class of card?

Thanks.

• Like 2

Adding to the question chris_tribble asked, I have a SanDisk ExtremePRO 64GB UHS-II SDXC Memory Card that has speeds of up to 300MB/s read and up to 260MB/s write.

I am not sure if these speeds are supported by M10 or not. Have anyone tried this card or similar class of card?

Thanks.

I ordered one of these and it should be here tomorrow.  B&H Photo only had the 32GB version.  I'll let you know.

Rick

• Like 2

Thanks.

Im using the Lexar version as posted above. I doubt the M10 utilizes the extra contacts and additional speed, as its much faster than the camera could ever possibly need. But the card works just fine.

• Like 2

I ordered one of these and it should be here tomorrow.  B&H Photo only had the 32GB version.  I'll let you know.

Rick

Thanks!

Im using the Lexar version as posted above. I doubt the M10 utilizes the extra contacts and additional speed, as its much faster than the camera could ever possibly need. But the card works just fine.

Thanks. I missed the speed of your card in your post.

I think these speeds are not needed for M10 but this card would not be a bottleneck for sure when shooting in continuous burst.