ND Filter

appleman

The Tiffen Variable ND that I purchased several years ago (82mm) was the best I had tested.  All Variables diminish image quality, just as any two filters start reducing acuity and contrast the variables use two filters with the resulting loss.  My Tiffen was better than Heliopans I had tested, not sure why, based on reputation the Heliopans should be better unless talking about the Tiffens made for cinema which are superb.  Test your filter, if you see a big difference in image quality the sample may be poor, I am thinking the Varialble ND may not be unlike camera lenses where centering is critical and rotating filter mounts have a lot of play.  

• 4 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For what it is worth, I have stumbled across a new ND manufacturer called Breakthrough Photography that are really excellent. Not only are they colour neutral , but also tack sharp imho. Furthermore, they relatively inexpensive but the do everything that they promise. (I got the 10 stop filter, but will add a 3 stop and a CPL also from the same company.

• Like 1

I suggest you check Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters out, for maximum neutrality. See my comparison here:

https://vieribottazzini.com/2016/07/best-filters-landscape-photography-review.html

+1

Formatt-Hitech in my limited testing are superb, glass filters.  Difficult to find in the US.  

The OP has asked about variable ND, reputation has not been consistent with quality (variable ND) and I wonder if the cinematographers use them for critical work.

• Like 1

+1

Formatt-Hitech in my limited testing are superb, glass filters.  Difficult to find in the US.  

The OP has asked about variable ND, reputation has not been consistent with quality (variable ND) and I wonder if the cinematographers use them for critical work.

They seem to be easily available from amazon.com now, in 82mm size too. 

Variable ND filters are essential for cinema capture IMO. There's just so little range in shutter speed and available apertures ... 

• Like 1

Interest test Vieri, thanks for the link. However the ND filter from Breakthrough Photography was not included in the test which is a shame. The brand is fairly new, but they hold what other brands promise. I suggest you google them to make your own opinion of course.

Interest test Vieri, thanks for the link. However the ND filter from Breakthrough Photography was not included in the test which is a shame. The brand is fairly new, but they hold what other brands promise. I suggest you google them to make your own opinion of course.

Hello,

thank you for your message, glad you enjoyed the review. The reason for not including the Breakthrough filters is very simple - they don't make square filters, which to me are the only way to go for professional landscape filter use. Best,

Vieri

Edited by Vieri

• 2 months later...

Hello,

thank you for your message, glad you enjoyed the review. The reason for not including the Breakthrough filters is very simple - they don't make square filters, which to me are the only way to go for professional landscape filter use. Best,

Vieri

It's true that fiddling with circular filters can be a little cumbersome, so you have a point. However having used the ND and also a circular polarizer from same company, I am getting great results. Breakthrough Photography have just announced that they are introducing their own filter holders, as well as new ND and GND plate filters.

It's true that fiddling with circular filters can be a little cumbersome, so you have a point. However having used the ND and also a circular polarizer from same company, I am getting great results. Breakthrough Photography have just announced that they are introducing their own filter holders, as well as new ND and GND plate filters.

That might be true, however I just checked on their website and couldn't find anything on this. Plus, you might have noticed that the article is more than one year old, and definitely one year ago there were no signs of square Breakthrough filters. And, as we all know, equipment announcements are all well and good but sometimes one needs to shoot today, not sometime in the future. Out of what you can buy today, in my opinion Formatt-Hitech are the best filters for landscape photography, bar none. NISI are also good, they come second with Lee (perhaps NISI are a bit better than Lee). As I said, as long as Breakthrough will not have square filters and Grad ND filters, they are out of the game for me. Of course, your need might be different.

Best regards,

Vieri

+1

They are now available on Formatt-Hitechs USA website as well: http://www.formatt-hitechusa.com

Best regards,

Vieri

Vieri,   Breakthrough Photography just announced they are now making their excellent glass filters in ND and GND, to include 4X4 and 100X150 sizes.  Plus they are going to make new all metal filters holders with adapter rings for these filters.  For years my company used Lee (Resin) and Schneider (Glass) 4X6 filters.  Now we are converting to Breakthrough Photography filters for our S, SL and M systems.  We have found their filters to be the most color neutral, superbly well made, have an excellent warranty, fast world-wide shipping and open to making new products for us.  Most recently Graham Clark CEO of Breakthrough agreed to make their filters for all Leica M lens sizes to include the 50mm f/0.95 Noctilux in 60mm.  For us at Light Reflections, this is great news.  r/ Mark    Try:  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/breakthrough/dark-cpl-and-x4-gnd   or    https://breakthrough.photography

Edited by LeicaR10

Vieri,   Breakthrough Photography just announced they are now making their excellent glass filters in ND and GND, to include 4X4 and 100X150 sizes.  Plus they are going to make new all metal filters holders with adapter rings for these filters.  For years my company used Lee (Resin) and Schneider (Glass) 4X6 filters.  Now we are converting to Breakthrough Photography filters for our S, SL and M systems.  We have found their filters to be the most color neutral, superbly well made, have an excellent warranty, fast world-wide shipping and open to making new products for us.  Most recently Graham Clark CEO of Breakthrough agreed to make their filters for all Leica M lens sizes to include the 50mm f/0.95 Noctilux in 60mm.  For us at Light Reflections, this is great news.  r/ Mark    Try:  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/breakthrough/dark-cpl-and-x4-gnd   or    https://breakthrough.photography

Mark,

thank you for your update - well, I'll say it again: until they ship square filters, they are of no interest to me. Sadly, I don't and can't use round filters for my work, and I need to work now, not whenever they are ready to ship: I am sure you understand that. However, as you can see just by giving a quick look at my blog, I am always open to try and experiment with new stuff, and review them as honestly as I can no matter brand or anything, so as soon as they will be available I'll be happy to give the Breakthrough filters a look.

About the adapter, however, a quick look at their Kickstarter page tells me that their adapter will not allow the use of a CPL together with their square filters (as the Lee or Formatt-Hitech adapters), which immediately makes it a no-go for my work. Of course, I can use my existing Formatt-HItech and Lee adapters with their filters; the fact that they didn't (yet, at least) think about allowing the use of a CPL with square filters with their holder, however, kinda negate the "we are guys with cameras, not guys with suits" statement on their about page... :D

Anyway, I will keep an interested eye on them, and in the meantime will keep using my Formatt-Hitech filters, which have the advantage of 1. being very neutral, better than anything else out there I have yet tried (minus the Breakthrough, which I haven't tried as yet) and 2. of existing right now and right here, which - you'll admit - is a good thing if you need to work now ;)

Best regards,

Vieri

Vieri,   Thanks for your reply.  I realize you have different needs for your photography but at least the Leica community now knows Breakthrough Photography makes both circular filters that fit Leica lenses, plus the new 4X4 and 100X150mm ND and GND filters are in the process of being manufactured. (Post 16)  I see you are an ambassador of sorts for Formatt-Hitech filters.  No big deal.  Last, we have found in our fine art images that putting the circular polarizer on the lens first helps reduce reflections caused by light leakage of the filter holders and spaces between the square or rectangular filters.  Hence to have the filter holders that clip on polarizers like Lee only create more problems during set up.  It might be slightly more time consuming with taking the filter holder off first, then polarizing the image, then re-attaching the holder on the adapter ring that is attached to the outer thread of the polarizer.  But everyone has their own technique and style of creating images.  We also know Graham Clark CEO of Breakthrough Photography is considering other square and rectangular filters sizes.  For our fine art images that we create and the Leica community, this is great news for a most excellent product from Breakthrough filters.   r/ Mark

• Like 1

... at least the Leica community now knows Breakthrough Photography makes both circular filters that fit Leica lenses, plus the new 4X4 and 100X150mm ND and GND filters are in the process of being manufactured. (Post 16)  ...

Mark,

I am sure the Leica community heard you loud and clear, you have been advertising Breakthrough filters pretty heavily lately and I would be surprised if someone didn't hear you yet :) Best,

Vieri

• Like 1