Holster owners

I have been a long time fan of the holster... until I dropped my Q a second time.

Drop 1 - got a drink out of a vending machine.  Bent over to get the beverage, forgot to clip the top strap over, and the Q slid out of the holster onto the ground.

Drop 2 - bent down to pick up some change I dropped at the cash register.  Same thing happened -- forgot to clip the top strap over the camera, and the Q slid out and fell onto the ground.

The good news - the damage both times has been purely cosmetic.  The camera continued after in both cases to shoot the remainder of a vacation, with no issues.  The holster is super useful for grab and shoot situations.

The bad news - the camera is only locked in the holster if you remember to clip your camera down.  99.9% of the time you'll remember.  The one time you should have strapped it down, you'll take a potentially expensive drop.

When my Q gets back from Leica a second time, I'm going back to neck straps.  It's a shame though ... the holster really is super convenient.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Interesting .... but I still can't get my head round carrying a 3K - 4K camera hanging round my neck ...

Bend down to tie a shoe lace, pick a fiver up ... and the damned thing swings in to a concrete post, or whatever. Sod's law prevails ... if it can happen then it will happen  :huh:

My Q is either in a lightweight shoulder bag, waiting, resting, ready for almost immediate use ...

... or it's in the hand, secured by a wrist strap, ready for immediate use  :)

Apologies ... just my take on it, works for me  :p

Interesting .... but I still can't get my head round carrying a 3K - 4K camera hanging round my neck ...

Bend down to tie a shoe lace, pick a fiver up ... and the damned thing swings in to a concrete post, or whatever. Sod's law prevails ... if it can happen then it will happen :huh:

My Q is either in a lightweight shoulder bag, waiting, resting, ready for almost immediate use ...

... or it's in the hand, secured by a wrist strap, ready for immediate use :)

Apologies ... just my take on it, works for me :p

I share your concerns. I go between carrying mine around my lower back right side with my hand often resting on it or in a very lightweight Lowepro bag. Both work well for me. I think what you're pointing out is there's a lot of personal preference in what we choose.