Can anyone tell me if you can change the focus point in manual focusing

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not aware of any focus point in manual focus mode. You're selecting a focus distance which I think of as a plane in focus with some depth of field ahead of and behind that distance. Focus peaking helps sometimes. Magnification helps sometimes.

• Like 1

I guess kapturlight is talking about the magnification area, which unfortunately cannot be moved. Do I imagine reading somewhere that this is possible with the SL? Maybe another thing we could get with a firmware upgrade.

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies, and yes I was talking about the magnified area, this is critical when you're working with shallow a depth of field, I can't work put why Leica haven't put this in, most of the other mirrorless camera manufacturers have eg; Olympus and Panasonic.

• 2 weeks later...

Does it not work to focus manually on whatever you want to be sharpest in the image (eg using magniifed centre section as an aid) than slightly move camera sideways to recompose?

It doesnt, specially when using a tripod, its not functional.

Focus peaking will show you what is in focus wherever it appears in the viewfinder. I use it when my Q is on tripod quite often.

m

Yes, but is not as precise as actually zooming in. I understand on the SL can be done, and on the Sonys for sure, (I had an a7ii and RX1).

I understand the frustration over this but really the focus point is so easy to move in AF and very accurate so I don't really have a problem on a tripod. Also peaking is also very accurate as the lens opens up to f1,7 when using it whatever your aperture setting is so at least with objects fairly close-up you get to see a fairly shallow DOF