Leica V Lux 114

Rob -

I have seven cameras and since getting the V Lux 114 I've not touched the other six - I suppose I'll sell some of them before long.

Every camera is a compromise, each having certain relative strengths and weaknesses.  For me, right now (and for the last 13 months), the V Lux is my best choice.  Part of that is I carry a camera with me every day, and it's small enough and versatile enough to meet most of my needs.  Another part is that we do a great deal of travel for pleasure, and unless it's a trip involving SCUBA we do carry-on only.  The V-Lux (with a D-Lux 5 along as back-up) greatly reduces space and weight.

The coverage range of the lens (35MM equivalent of 25-400, with an interpolation program expanding the upper end to 800 with minimal impact on image quality - You have to turn it on in the menu to get at it - I leave it on all the time since it's only impact is above 400) is for me is excellent, and I don't have to change lenses.

Every digital camera I've used produces results that can benefit from at least a little bit of post processing.  Keep that in mind as you evaluate the V Lux and other cameras.

Image quality is quite good.  You might want to go into my site and look at photos from Nicaragua and Santa Fe in 2015, all shot with the V Lux 114.  Also at least some in each of the NY city galleries.  Also search on the Forum for photos by Northwest Wanderer.

Though I've not tried to do auto follow focus of sports I have gotten some nice photos of birds and mammals on the move and it works well.

If you decide to go with the V Lux ask plenty of questions here and a number of us can help you.  Also, spend plenty of time with the camera and manual in hand -- It's a fairly complex tool, even though for most shooting you can basically point and shoot if you so desire.

• Like 1

Rob,

Over the years, as I've aged, I've worked my way from Nikon DX/FX and some very big lenses, then micro 4/3 and some somewhat smaller, lighter lenses and then I saw the specs for the Leica Type 109 and 114 and hurried down to B&H to get a look. After giving them a good run through I traded all my m4/3 stuff for the two Leica's and some add-ons and have never looked back.

I've not tried the 114 for sports yet, but, have gotten some quite good birds in flight (large, slow ones) and it is great for everything else, including macros. I highly recommend it unless you print very large (over 16X20) or are trying to track very small moving creatures (not quite up to those). It's not Nikon FX quality with great glass but it's almost as good as Dx or FX with average/good glass. 

Two links for pics with Type 114:

https://goo.gl/photos/heUu9MPjtFgiH2yh7

https://goo.gl/photos/x8CusigYhvHKreKd8

• Like 2

Thank you for your thoughts. I just went ahead and purchased one one from eBay at a decent price so will start having some fun with it this weekend.

The photos from your links look quite nice!  I'm enthused to use it.

Lately, I have been smitten with  the Leica Q, so pixel peeping may have spoiled me; nonetheless, extending the zoom out to 400 (with the fast auto focus) should also be quite nice.  If I can get mine to deliver with the IQ that your's demonstrates I will be quite happy.

Regards,

Rob

Rob -

I have seven cameras and since getting the V Lux 114 I've not touched the other six - I suppose I'll sell some of them before long.

Every camera is a compromise, each having certain relative strengths and weaknesses.  For me, right now (and for the last 13 months), the V Lux is my best choice.  Part of that is I carry a camera with me every day, and it's small enough and versatile enough to meet most of my needs.  Another part is that we do a great deal of travel for pleasure, and unless it's a trip involving SCUBA we do carry-on only.  The V-Lux (with a D-Lux 5 along as back-up) greatly reduces space and weight.

The coverage range of the lens (35MM equivalent of 25-400, with an interpolation program expanding the upper end to 800 with minimal impact on image quality - You have to turn it on in the menu to get at it - I leave it on all the time since it's only impact is above 400) is for me is excellent, and I don't have to change lenses.

Every digital camera I've used produces results that can benefit from at least a little bit of post processing.  Keep that in mind as you evaluate the V Lux and other cameras.

Image quality is quite good.  You might want to go into my site and look at photos from Nicaragua and Santa Fe in 2015, all shot with the V Lux 114.  Also at least some in each of the NY city galleries.  Also search on the Forum for photos by Northwest Wanderer.

Though I've not tried to do auto follow focus of sports I have gotten some nice photos of birds and mammals on the move and it works well.

If you decide to go with the V Lux ask plenty of questions here and a number of us can help you.  Also, spend plenty of time with the camera and manual in hand -- It's a fairly complex tool, even though for most shooting you can basically point and shoot if you so desire.

Thank you, Stuart.

Are you saying that one can digitally zoom to 800 with minimal degradation of quality?  That would be terrific!

And, thank you for sharing your photo gallery. Some great shots in there. Hope you don't mind me looking through some other galleries as well!

Rob

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Rob -

The digital zoom does degrade the image by throwing away pixels, but the files are large so in many cases you'll be perfectly satisfied.

Enjoy my site.  Many of our friends and colleagues use Barbara's trip notes and my photos to help plan their own travel.

Rob -

The digital zoom does degrade the image by throwing away pixels, but the files are large so in many cases you'll be perfectly satisfied.

Enjoy my site.  Many of our friends and colleagues use Barbara's trip notes and my photos to help plan their own travel.

I was thinking I'd snoop through the trip notes and see what  looks interesting for this summer! 

Thanks. Rob