Vario Elmarit 24-90 performance at infinity

asterpics

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everybody and happy new year from Italy.

My first post here asking your help.

I am playing with recently purchased SL (Typ 601) with zoom lens. Im vary happy with the camera and the lens but...

With the tripod mounted camera and shutter of 1/250s If I focus at infinity with AF the result is not really sharp neither wide open (f/4) nor down to f8-11. In the same condition If I focus manually (with focus peaking aid) the result is much sharp. Is this normal for a zoom or AF? 

Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Angelo

I can attach two 100% crops from lightroom. Shot A with AF and shot B manual focus both pointed at "Acqua" word.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

shot B

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Most welcome to the forum :)

Infinity is always hard to focus - with any system. The DOF (and read DOF as zone of acceptable unsharpness, not as zone of sharpness) is huge, and intervening air and dust will lessen contrast, throwing AF systems off. The best way is to set the lens to infinity manually - as you found.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@ Jaap

Thank you for your welcome and for your suggestion.

So, each time I have to shoot at infinity I have to switch from AF to MF, take the shot, and then switch back to AF.

I also noticed that using AF mode with the Vario Elmarit 24-90  if i turn the focus ring manually nothing happens and I have to switch in MF mode to adjust the focus...

Is this correct or I have to check some options in the menus...

Thanks.

Angelo

Welcome Angelo

Just as a matter of interest - did you turn off Optical image stabilisation?

It's often better to turn it off with the camera on a tripod - the first shot doesn't look so much out of focus as blurred, and this might be the cause. 

What aperture were you shooting at?

In addition to turning off OIS when using a tripod (and using a remote release if possible or the self timer if not), keep in mind that the atmosphere when looking across more than a few meters of space can be quite turbulent, so you might get significant variation from shot to shot. In astronomy, this is called "seeing", and while its effects are most apparent at longer focal lengths, 90mm could easily be enough to throw off the autofocus system which will often be too quick to average out the variable seeing. Manual focus can often give more consistent results under these circumstances. It's not necessarily an indication of a problem.

- Jared

• 2 years later...

I am also interested in using this lens (24-90) in long exposure mode. 

How do I focus @ infinity while in MF mode? Do I simply keep turning the focus ring and use the focus peaking until it's all showing red/green/white (whatever the focus peaking colour is set)?? 

It turns out my photos weren't as sharp as I expected. Perhaps it's the same problem experienced by Angelo?? 

Also, I tried varies of settings, i.e. Small Aperture F10-22, Shutter Speed of 60s - 90s, ISO 50/100/200, I don't see the expected result.

Then I increased the ISO and try 400/800 or even 1600 with Aperture wide open F4, for instance and faster shutter speed, 5 - 10 seconds. It then produces acceptable image, but still not as good as my old DSLR Nikon D200.  :wacko:

I am still learning how to use this combo (SL + 24-90)

I am going away in March to Europe and is hoping to take some milkyway photos at 3100 kulmhotel gornergrat with it. 

I read high ISO (1600 or +) and large aperture are the key to it. 

Can someone please share the proper/correct way of taking long exposure photos with SL + 24-90 SL lens?

Thanks a lot. 

ISO400, 90mm, 20 sec @ f/10

39965347061_7cc1d4efa2_c.jpg

ISO200, 24mm, 90 sec at f/18

25094822827_a459535f7a_c.jpg

With a native lens, half press the shutter while turning the focus ring. The top display indicates your focus distance and DOF. This allows you to easily set at infinity.

Aha, how did I ignore that!? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asterpics,  I had the exact same issue with my SL 24-90 at 90mm and infinity and tried the aforementioned and helpful suggestions months ago.  I wound up shipping the SL body and lens with photographs via Leica Australia to Wetzlar.  At first they said the camera and lens were in spec.  I asked the senior SL technician to recheck the gear based on the DNG files that I sent along with the gear, next thing I hear is Wetzlar is sending me a new 24-90.  Bottomline, if you can't resolve the issue, take some DNG & JPEG images taken at 90mm/infinity, using AF and Manual with/without OIS and enclose the SD card with a description of the files with both the camera and lens and ship it to Leica.  Be sure to ask the senior SL technician to review the SD card files.  Your images should be very clear if not sharp at a number of aperatures. The new lens I received is perfect.  r/ Mark

• Like 1

Asterpics, I had the exact same issue with my SL 24-90 at 90mm and infinity and tried the aforementioned and helpful suggestions months ago. I wound up shipping the SL body and lens with photographs via Leica Australia to Wetzlar. At first they said the camera and lens were in spec. I asked the senior SL technician to recheck the gear based on the DNG files that I sent along with the gear, next thing I hear is Wetzlar is sending me a new 24-90. Bottomline, if you can't resolve the issue, take some DNG & JPEG images taken at 90mm/infinity, using AF and Manual with/without OIS and enclose the SD card with a description of the files with both the camera and lens and ship it to Leica. Be sure to ask the senior SL technician to review the SD card files. Your images should be very clear if not sharp at a number of aperatures. The new lens I received is perfect. r/ Mark

After testing the 24-90 shooting stars at shortish exp times (a few secs), even wide open, I have concluded that the 24-90 is at the top, technically speaking. Its sharp pretty much across the image, it has essentially no coma. The 24 mm is the best wa focal length I have tested for sharpness and coma, the long end is good, albeit somewhat weaker than at 24mm (but still, very, very good).

Yes, there is some software adjustments going on. But the output, which is what I look at :-), is top notch.

For a zoom, the 24-90 is fantastic. As is the 90-280...

• Like 3