What's the best Lightroom 6 book?

Snowman

IMHO, Scott Kelby's "Lightroom 6"  although you may want to futureproof yourself with "LightroomCC". Most people I know enjoy his style but a few don't, so maybe worth looking at a review page. Try his website also to get a feel.

• Like 2

IMHO, Scott Kelby's "Lightroom 6"  although you may want to futureproof yourself with "LightroomCC". Most people I know enjoy his style but a few don't, so maybe worth looking at a review page. Try his website also to get a feel.

Thanks for that, yes I looked at the 5 star amazon reviews and it is rated highly, so will order this one.

There are many excellent sources of information for Lightroom.  The two starter books most purchased are by Scott Kelby and Martin Evening.  I tend to use them as encyclopedic resources.  When I have a specific task they usually have a set of instructions to save the day.  Once you get some practical use under your belt, I would recommend "The Digital Negative" by Jeff Schewe (2nd edition just came out).  It is a delight to read his perspective and I marvel at the examples.

However, I did not use a book to learn Lightroom - and this may just be my learning style.  I took a course from lynda.com.  There are several comprehensive courses on Lightroom.  I used the course by Chris Orwig and learned so much.  Julieanne Kost is legendary for her tutorials so I am sure her course is jam packed with excellent info but I opted for the Orwig course - either should serve well.

At the outset I was intimidated by Lightroom but once I took the plunge the workflow turned out to be intuitive.  I have found the process to be enjoyable and extends creativity beyond the click of the shutter.  This is just as in the days of film where 'darkroom magic' was part of the craft.

Best of luck to all new to Lightroom - you'll be up and running in no time.

(PS I have no affiliation with any of the authors or websites mentioned above)

Personally I think there are some great online video tutorials. I originally learn't Lr3 (or maybe it was 2) using the video tutorials from the Luminous Landscape website. The great thing about these is you can download them and keep referring back to them and so much easier than a book when you see them actually doing it

Edited by viramati

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Personally I think there are some great online video tutorials. I originally learn't Lr3 (or maybe it was 2) using the video tutorials from the Luminous Landscape website. The great thing about these is you can download them and keep referring back to them and so much easier than a book when you see them actually doing it

+1

• 2 weeks later...