SL image numbering

trond

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica SL on firmware 3.8.  After installing the firmware, the folder went back to L100 and the filenames to L1000001.  I tried all the tricks mentioned in this thread and also those that used to work on the M9 to get the camera to follow its previous sequence (was up to L600 and L60009xx) without success.

Is my only option to retain filename uniqueness changing the initial filename letter to something other than L? 

As many have commented, a rather irritating "feature" of the SL if one sticks with the filenames generated by the camera but does not want duplicates across the filestore.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/23/2015 at 10:29 PM, thighslapper said:

Unfortunately, despite the firmware upgrade the number with anything apart from the default L100 XXXX is again wrong .......

should go from LXX0 0999 to LXX0 1000 ....

in fact goes from LXX0 0999 to LXX1 0001........

There is a very good reason for this.  It is how practical it is to index the 999 images in one folder between the presented identity and SD card disk sector(s) where the image or video is stored.  To go to 10,000 per folder would cause a very large slowdown.

I found this out when designing a very different type of camera, and while I was not writing the software personally, that was the answer from the person who did it.  It came from the recommendations for coding SD card read-write software on the chosen brand of microcontroller.   We could actually only cope with 100 images per folder, but did have folders I100000, I100001 so all the file numbers got used.

Now quite why that does not result in folders L1001, L1002 for the SL cameras I do not know.  Maybe initially Leica were going for 10,000 items per folder ?

MWW

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MWW said:

There is a very good reason for this.  It is how practical it is to index the 999 images in one folder between the presented identity and SD card disk sector(s) where the image or video is stored.  To go to 10,000 per folder would cause a very large slowdown.

I found this out when designing a very different type of camera, and while I was not writing the software personally, that was the answer from the person who did it.  It came from the recommendations for coding SD card read-write software on the chosen brand of microcontroller.   We could actually only cope with 100 images per folder, but did have folders I100000, I100001 so all the file numbers got used.

Now quite why that does not result in folders L1001, L1002 for the SL cameras I do not know.  Maybe initially Leica were going for 10,000 items per folder ?

MWW

Thank you for this background. It is something that I have wondered about - and been annoyed by! - for a l--o--n--g time.

John