SL image numbering

trond

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear Leica Forum friends!

As far as I can find out, unlike the M and S cameras, the SL does not have the possibility of specifying the folder name on the SD card.

This is a pity, as it is a useful feature that I have used on the M P 240.

But what is worse, and quite unorthodox, is that the SL increments the folder number every time the SD card is formatted in the camera, at least my SL does so.

Meaning that if you have a shoot and have just imported your images, and the last one i L1000367, and you format the card in the SL, the next image becomes L1010368.

If you then format again, the next image will be L1020369.

I am surprised why this behavior was not spotted by the beta reviewers, and if it was, why Leica did not correct this strange numbering scheme in the first "production" fimware?

Anyone else seen this or is it just my camera?

Is there a setting to avoid this?

Resetting the numbering, sets the first image number to L1000001, which is not a good idea either.

Best regards

Trond

Edited by trond

The problem with the SL is that the folder name is incremented every time the SD card i formatted in the camera.

So you get L100, L101, L102, L103 etc for each reformatting.

I routinely always format the card in camera after each import to clear the card content, now I have to remember to delete the images in the computer.

Best regards

Trond

The problem with the SL is that the folder name is incremented every time the SD card i formatted in the camera.

I routinely always format the card in camera after each import to clear the card content, now I have to remember to delete the images in the computer.

Best regards

Trond

That's dumber than I expected.  Can you get the camera to start with folder name set to 200, 300, or such?

scott

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just received my 2nd SL today (its a long story) ....... and this one behaves as you describe. They have done something to the firmware ...... This camera is a new batch with manufacture date of 16/11/15 ..... all the previous ones were from mid October. 

Previously this did not happen

Now it increments with every format as you say.

Resetting image numbering does the same thing ..... before it incremented L100 XXXX to L200 XXXX........ L300 XXXX to L9 .... then  L110 XXXX etc ....... It also jumped from LX00 0999 to LX01 0001 instead of LX00 1000.  I have emailed Leica about this original problem and they seem to have done something and it now increments the folder correctly ..... but somehow formatting does this as well.....

Resetting and formatting increments the folder by 1 and resets the number to 1 ....... as described in the manual. Quite how this is meant to really work eludes me .......

Edited by thighslapper

I have just received my 2nd SL today (its a long story) ....... and this one behaves as you describe. They have done something to the firmware ...... This camera is a new batch with manufacture date of 16/11/15 ..... all the previous ones were from mid October. 

Previously this did not happen

Now it increments with every format as you say.

Resetting image numbering does the same thing ..... before it incremented L100 XXXX to L200 XXXX........ L300 XXXX to L9 .... then  L110 XXXX etc ....... It also jumped from LX00 0999 to LX01 0001 instead of LX00 1000.  I have emailed Leica about this original problem and they seem to have done something and it now increments the folder correctly ..... but somehow formatting does this as well.....

Resetting and formatting increments the folder by 1 and resets the number to 1 ....... as described in the manual. Quite how this is meant to really work eludes me .......

Dear thighslapper,

My SL is produced on October 15th and runs FW 1.1.

I have now formatted all my cards and re-set the counter to L1000001, then I put the correct image number on the card from my computer.

This now works correctly, also if I change the cars as log as I do not format in the camera.

Drawback is that images need to be deleted from the card in the computer after importing.

Best regards

Trond

Best regards

Trond

I don't format the card very often because I export my user settings ... This lets me muck around with the settings any way I want and then recover them from the card at my last stable state any time I want. Formatting deletes them. I delete all to clear the card. That leaves the user settings intact and doesn't change the folder number. 

The lack of numbering customization is an interesting issue for those that use custom numbering from other cameras. I never have ... I have LR do image renaming on import so the assigned numbers in camera are of very little importance. LR's renaming capabilities are much more facile than any I've seen in a camera so I figured I'd just use them and not worry about what the camera named images long ago. 

Hrumph

Why couldn't it just work like the M240 - which is great. 

Bah!

Dear Jono,

Agreed, the file number implementation in M240 is very nice and flexible.

I hope Leica is listening, and give us the same scheme in the SL.

Something must have been changed very late in all the commotion of shipping out the SL and was not properly verified.

The current implementation in the SL is the strangest file numbering I have ever seen.

You really have to try hard to implement something like that!

Best regards

Trond

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can see that this is unexpected behaviour, but don't understand why it is a real problem? I don't doubt that it is a problem for those on this thread, but what actually goes wrong in your workflow?

I guess it depends upon your specific workflow. I almost completely ignore the folder/frame number portion of the capture file ... I usually rename files as I import them into Lightroom anyway and for any session where the ordinal values of the file names make a difference, I set up the order I want in the file name explicitly. Otherwise, I just pre-pend the date ("YYMMDD-") and use the numeric portion of the file name as a code identifier after that.