RTFM

digitalfx

That will be part of the pleasure of unboxing, and while I wait for the battery to charge!

First, we need to get some of idea of delivery.  I'm top of the list at the dealer, and I understand they will be getting four cameras, but no indication at all of when.  Leica promise me they haven't forgotten us down here, but we do need to accept that we don't command the attention of the German, UK & US markets ...

Hey ho.

I live in the other camp ... I read the manuals for everything, whether I think I understand it entirely or not. I like reading manuals ... Probably to some degree why I like writing them. ;-)

I suspect it takes more than an afternoon with a nice cup of tea and the manual to really become acquainted with the camera and all the options, and how they interact. I've been reading the manual since it was available on the website. Now that the camera is in my hands, I'm becoming facile with its controls, but I've had to refer back to the manual several times to find things I thought I already knew. 

The control design is logical, quick, and subtle. But it's not "simple" due to the many capabilities of the camera and the configurability of the controls. For instance, I haven't quite figured out how to get exactly the Aperture priority behavior I want with R lenses yet. I know it's just a matter of time before I suss it out ... 

fun fun fun

Advertisement (gone after registration)

you'll need 4 batteries charging to allow enough time to get thru the manual :)

Problem being that spare batteries are not available, yet... So with only one battery in-house, I have managed to get a hand on the first quarter of the manual.  ;)

Edited by helged

BTW: I've made about 200-250 exposures so far, and countless amounts of putzing about with settings, etc. The battery indicator still shows about about half charged. I'll likely top it up tomorrow... 

I have an order in for a spare battery and the remote cord with B&H Photo. Hopefully, they'll have some spares and accessories in their shipment from Leica. :-)

I find a quick look at the manual is always necessary before making some near- irreversible error at the first attempt.

But the most useful reading comes about a week or so later when I've exhausted my ability to work out for myself what's possible and what I really would like or need to do,  and with that degree of familiarity with the camera (or whatever) the manual comes into its own.

• Like 1

I have an order in for a spare battery and the remote cord with B&H Photo. Hopefully, they'll have some spares and accessories in their shipment from Leica. :-)

no delivery date for the remote cord as yet, apparently ....  :mellow:

...... anyway the remote app on an ipad/phone works fine and has much more flexibility as well......

no delivery date for the remote cord as yet, apparently ....  :mellow:

...... anyway the remote app on an ipad/phone works fine and has much more flexibility as well......

I'll experiment with the remote app today. One thing at a time. 

I always like to have a straightforward, wired or cable remote anyway. Simplifies things, reduces the number of devices I need to coordinate. I will wait for it.

But ... in the field, the lack of cabling to catch on clothing, etc, and thus the reduction in risk of tipping the tripod over, makes the wifi remote very nice. It's also great when you need to put the camera into an awkward position to see the screen or EVF. Oh we have such choices in the modern age! 

Finally made it thru the manual several times now...not as intimidating as it first appeared. The translations are difficult to understand, and there are still several sections that just don't make sense. I wish Leica would employ an english writer rather than a translator. It takes 2-3 reads to get it. Overall the SL is fairly complex, but once you grasp the concept of the 3 levels of menus it starts to make sense.

I also now understand why the assignment of the focus aid (zoom) won't be an easy FW update. For each button on the camera you have up to 3 potential actions. The focus aid function is assigned a level that is not assignable in the settings if that makes sense. So it will have to be moved to a different level first. 

After using the camera for one whole day :), the current location is not as bad as I suspected...and honestly is probably the best possible location given that the other choices aren't exactly within shutter finger reach anyways. So for all those who proclaimed that they wouldn't buy the camera because of this one missing option, I think you need to experience the camera for a few days before jumping to conclusions. Quite frankly it is a silly reason not to buy a camera...but thats just my .02

Edited by digitalfx

After using the camera for one whole day :), the current location is not as bad as I suspected...and honestly is probably the best possible location given that the other choices aren't exactly within shutter finger reach anyways. So for all those who proclaimed that they wouldn't buy the camera because of this one missing option, I think you need to experience the camera for a few days before jumping to conclusions. Quite frankly it is a silly reason not to buy a camera...but thats just my .02

Have you tried using your nose? It works rather well :)

It was very exciting when I first got the test camera - I'd never used the S, so I didn't have any concept of what was what . . . and there was no manual and no instructions.

Incidentally, there are a few issues in the manual - at one point I believe it says you can only use T and M modes with manual focus lenses (and of course it means A and M mode).

. . . it's really nice that other people are getting their cameras now - great to be part of the general enthusiasm!

are you serious?

No, does not work. It requires two pushes of the button to activate, and the button is rather stiff. You either have a long and hard nose or you are messing with me :)

Well. First an interesting point:

1. if you have the camera set to EVF only (with the button on the right of the viewfinder) - then it only takes one press to activate zoom / play / menu etc. 

2. I don't really use zoom that much, but I have used my nose to activate it - and it does work (so maybe my nose is long and hard).

I wasn't entirely serious though. 

• Like 2