S2 sensor corrosion

John McMaster

Advertisement (gone after registration)

... Perhaps like those "high maintenance" people in our lives that we love despite the frustrations. Because when they are good they are very, very good.

Cheers

David

Yes, or like the '57 Chevy that I owned in my late teens.  I worked on it for five days in order to drive it two, but for those two days?  Oh, my!

Yes, or like the '57 Chevy that I owned in my late teens.  I worked on it for five days in order to drive it two, but for those two days?  Oh, my!

...or my 1971 BMW 2002 - the one with the leaking gas tank, electrical demons and lack of anything that reasonably could be called traction in snow despite four studded tires. God, how I did love that car despite the need for both a mechanic and priest on speed dial (which did not exist at that time).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally, I have gotten some positive news about the S2-P I sent in for sensor replacement back in January - a new S007 is in transit, scheduled to arrive at Leica Store Miami (LSM) tomorrow.  As I posted on page 1 of this thread on July 14th, I had sent the camera to LSM to facilitate replacement of a corroded sensor.  It disappeared for nine months with no word from Leica as to its status or expected return date.  

Back in July, with still no word on the status of the sensor replacement, I decided to follow the suggestions of David Farcas and Josh Lehrer at LSM to upgrade to the S007 instead of continuing to wait for repair.  They contacted Leica Customer Service, stopped the pending repair, and informed them that we would opt for the upgrade program. Customer Service said okay, but the camera would have to be sent back to LSM to be reprocessed under a different program for the upgrade, and then sent back to Germany under a different designation.  In other words, the repair department could not transfer the camera to customer service at the other end of the building.  All of that seemed a bit strange, and to my knowledge, LSM never got the old camera back, but through the persistence of David and Josh at LSM, and John Kriedler at Leica Camera USA, my S007 is on its way here, and per UPS Tracking will arrive in Miami tomorrow. 

I will have to admit that there were times when I was tempted to give up on Leica and move to another system, but when I would scroll through the images I had taken with the S, the temptation to go in a different direction would diminish.  My patience has been thoroughly tested throughout the last nine months, but the moment I get my hands on the 007, look through that gorgeous viewfinder and snap that first picture, I will understand why I did not give up on Leica. 

-Robert

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

The sensor on my S2-P cracked five years ago. Leica replaced it under warranty. The replacement sensor has corroded, and the autofocus has failed on my go-to 120mm lens. I must be a masochist, buying an SL with an adapter for my remaining S lenses to tide me over while my kit is awaiting repair at Solms. The drastic depreciation of all electronically enabled Leica gear is hardly reassuring. If, as stated above, my S2-P is worth $6,000 in trade against the $17,000 retail price of a S Typ 007, its real world value is about $1,200, taking into account the going rate of $12,200 for a new S Typ 007 on eBay. Not a pretty picture.

• Like 1

I am not looking to sell my stuff, will probably start duplicates as the prices are so low :-( I would have thought that you could have bought a used S(006) for less than the SL!

john

The SL cost me $5,700 on eBay, brand new out of Seoul. I like the option of using S, M, R, and Canon lenses.

Fair enough, I will be interested in the SL2 is higher pixel count - it is too close to my M(240) for my use. I think Leica would get a lot more sales if you could use the CS shutter on the SL range...

john

It'd also be nice if we could use the CS shutter independently of the mirror and FPS in live view on the S007.

Fair enough, I will be interested in the SL2 is higher pixel count - it is too close to my M(240) for my use. I think Leica would get a lot more sales if you could use the CS shutter on the SL range...

john

I’m too old to revert to the M system. The EVF sold me on the SL. Love the M lenses though. Ditto on accommodating the CS shutter.

• 11 months later...

Just as a heads-up but a colleague of mine was informed on Friday that Leica are now charging customers to replace S CCD sensors suffering from corrosion. I haven’t seen any official published statement but this information came from Leica customer care.

• 1 month later...

I got my sensor replaced for free last spring but due to recurring misallignement of the AF had no possibility to use it since then. My S007 which I had bought for replacement has returned three times to Wetzlar as they are not capable to allign the AF correctly. Thankfully, I have no problems with the SL which seems to be better. Nevertheless, it is a shock to hear that Leica don't clean up this mess for free anymore, which will make all CCD-bodies worthless. I can't even believe that they make such a stupid move. Actually the S-system is under heavy concurrence of Fuji and Hasselblad, how could they ever be so stupid?

Edited by stephan_w

Just read this.

To be frank it doesn’t take much effort to send an email once a fortnight. Leica really should be in crisis mode about their service but I get the impression they aren’t.

Relms...Sorry to hear about your experience with Leica Customer Service. My Leica Store dealer told me the Leica USA Repair Service Center in NJ is being upgraded and enlarged. This upgraded repair center will be finished in the next few weeks. I was also told Leica Solms customer service repair is being evaluated by senior Leica staff. Leica realizes they have a problem...a major problem with repairs and customer service and are trying to vastly improve/fix it. It doesn't get your issue resolved, but it appears Leica is working hard to resolve long standing issue(s) with repair service...and hopefully IMO, reliability with upcoming Leica camera models across the systems. r/ Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just read this.

To be frank it doesn’t take much effort to send an email once a fortnight. Leica really should be in crisis mode about their service but I get the impression they aren’t.

That was two years ago (2016). The complaint threads have died-down since, so things are likely better now. The other option is that people are still getting terrible service, but aren't complaining. That seems unlikely.

That was two years ago (2016). The complaint threads have died-down since, so things are likely better now. The other option is that people are still getting terrible service, but aren't complaining. That seems unlikely.

The other likelihood is that people have moved onto other systems.

• Like 1

Don’t know the situation in Wetzlar, but the NJ service problems continued long into 2017, based on acknowledgements I received from more than one dealer. I haven’t checked in a few months, though, so let’s hope progress has been made.

Jeff