Leica M 246 incompatible with EyeFi card ?

Laica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It seems that EyeFi cards (orange ones) are incompatible with the M246.

It worked perfectly with my m240.

In my Ricoh GR the card is working and wifi signal detectable, files can be transferred.

Same card in the M246 and no WiFi signal.

Anyone same experience ?

• 4 weeks later...

It seems that EyeFi cards (orange ones) are incompatible with the M246.

It worked perfectly with my m240.

In my Ricoh GR the card is working and wifi signal detectable, files can be transferred.

Same card in the M246 and no WiFi signal.

Anyone same experience ?

Did you format the card in the 246?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I posted this on an M9/eyefi thread by mistake:

I’m using an EyeFi Mobi-Pro with a Monochrom-246 and it works. My Monochrom is on a tripod in a studio setup. The tripod quick-release plate leaves a finger-width gap between the plastic inset in the camera baseplate and the tripod head. The receiving iMac is about 8 meters away and the signal appears to get through OK .

I do three raw exposures on the set then move to the iMac where the DNG files turn up in an eye-fi folder in about 80 seconds. I drag the DNGs into Photoshop to check and maybe convert. This routine gets repeated a number of times until things are looking right. I change battery when changing sets.

This a still-life workflow - outside Leica’s target usage. I use a Leica because it’s still more or less manual and I’ve been at it for 50 years and have the lenses.

Card access on the The Monochrome-246 is a disappointment. There is no longer a USB connector on board. Removing base-plate requires taking the camera off the tripod and unscrewing the quick-release (the thread is in the camera body and not in the plate, a great improvement for safety but the quick-release never goes back on to the original position). I looked into the USB-connected multi-purpose hand grip but was put off by the GPS localisation feature and the price. Anyway it would need an eight meter ‘active’ USB extension cable to reach my iMac.

So I got the Eye-fi Mobi Pro with some misgivings, having read here about the M9 warnings (I don’t dare trying it out with the M9 or the old MM). I put it in the new Monochrom 246 it works like a dream for my methodical work-flow - no life-support tubes and wires - nothing hangs out.