Is Leica T headed for discontinuation?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It would be extremely nice if they would share that with their customers, at least the lens roadmap, just like Fuji and to a lesser extent Sony do...

Fair enough, but then Fuji attracts criticism when a tentative and only vaguely specified release date slips or the specs change (which of course is in the nature of roadmaps) and Leica may want to avoid that.

Edited by mjh
  • Like 1

Yes agree completely.  A full-frame mashup between Q and T, with T lens mount, built-in state-of-the-art EVF, smart adapters for R, M and other brand lenses, and IMAGE STABILIZATION IN THE BODY.  And don't let Sony beat you to it; the a7 series is 90% of the way there.

Doug,  With the A7R II it's more than 90% IMHO! :-)

• Like 1

Fair enough, but then Fuji attracts criticism when a tentative and only vaguely specified release date slips or the specs change (which of course is in the nature of roadmaps) and Leica may want to avoid that.

Let's also recall Leica's promised R10 which had to be abandoned.  It's risky promising a future product, for the buyer it's also risky relying on a promise which may never reach market due to unforeseen circumstances.

:)   For me the last 10% is an adapter for R and other legacy manual-focus lenses that operates the auto-diaphragm and can meter at full aperture.

Thanks.  Good point! 

I know it doesn't help with R lenses, but there may be finally a smart adapter for Nikon lenses.

I remember there was a thread about the technical aspects of the T-Mount somewhere, but I can't find it anymore.

IIRC, the throat is wide enough for 24x36 and the flange focal distance is short enough. So a T-Mount camera could take M, R, S and T lenses with Leica made, high quality smart adapters. Sort of a 'universal' Leica mount. So if all the above is right, I guess that's were Leica might be headed then.

Seems to me the future of the T line is bright.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had recently read on Leica la vida on   that as Leica T has not  sold well, company is planning to discontinue the T.

I am very sorry as I bought one (I have also an M240) and I am really happy. I am sad to think that as other nice leica product there is a risk to own a dead system!!!

This guy would write and do anything to get hits!... Stay away from that site!

• Like 1

Yes, but Leica could do it their own way.

If nothing else, it is polite to customers to give them a rough idea what to expect so that they can manage their expenditure better. Politeness need not conflict with being commercially savvy.

Yes, but Leica could do it their own way.

If nothing else, it is polite to customers to give them a rough idea what to expect so that they can manage their expenditure better. Politeness need not conflict with being commercially savvy.

Leica did that at Photokina 2008 when they hinted that a new R was under development; in a parallel interview Maike Harberts said there will be a new R with AF.  So much for roadmaps.

Edited by wildlightphoto

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

And don't let Sony beat you to it; the a7 series is 90% of the way there. However, then once you add some of those Zeiss lenses the weight soon shoots up. I would rather see a Q and T separate. One for APS-C and one full frame, as it is now.

Making an adapter for R lenses that makes it possible to meter wide open is of course totally possible, look at the two S adapters for Hasselblad H and Contax 645 lenses that even allow autofocus, auto diaphragm and central shutter functionality. Everything is possible but at what cost? The S adapters cost about 1500-2000 euro. This might be the price for Leica to even think of making a niche product like this, which is fine when considering the Leica S body and lens prices.

Someone who owns a T or maybe the future SL(?) would probably not want to spend 2000 euro on an adapter. 

The T is an excellent example of style over substance, but I'm not sure that style alone is enough to sustain it. Given Leica's typical 2 year model cycle their most likely won't be any changes to the current model apart from maybe some kind of limited edition (gold or patterned paint finish etc.).

However, with the new product announcements expected in October I would expect to see some new lens for the T if Leica are serious about developing this line.

The T is an excellent example of style over substance, but I'm not sure that style alone is enough to sustain it. Given Leica's typical 2 year model cycle their most likely won't be any changes to the current model apart from maybe some kind of limited edition (gold or patterned paint finish etc.).

However, with the new product announcements expected in October I would expect to see some new lens for the T if Leica are serious about developing this line.

Style over substance?  It's a very good camera and feels great in the hands to shoot with.  I now kind of wish I went for the black version since it does, in the silver, grab attention.  If I had my wish, the future Leica full frame would be based off the T.  Keep the weight off and a slimmer hold than the M.  We shall see.......

• Like 1

James, regarding your 'style over substance' assertion:

The 'T' has considerable 'substance, but unlikely you would know about same because you've never used the camera for any length of time!  Fact is, the 'T' can be adapted for use with hundreds of different lens' makes / models /types … and the accessory EVF is one of the very best currently available. I'm currently using my 'T' with Novoflex Noflexar lenses and accessories, Canon FD, Minolta MD/MC, Leica R, Leica M, Nikkor and Contarex lenses. Furthermore, I'm obtaining excellent AF results in total darkness via the Leica SF 240 flashgun.

I wish you'd think a bit more and read a bit more before you write your rather too dogmatic naysaying opinions about Leica products. And you obviously have no experience whatsoever of the T's excellent ergonomics.  

dunk

• Like 3

Dunk,

I'm sure that one can produce excellent images with the T, absolutely. And I'm sure the Leica T lenses are good performers. However, there are many other similar cameras on the market that also will take all of those legacy lenses with adaptors. 

Most have additional, useful features like sensor cleaning and built in viewfinders, and are a fraction of the price yet produce equally good quality images. 

The T's main USP is the hand polished body, which is why it is IMHO a case of style over substance. Fashionista's buy it for the bling factor. 

Dunk,

I'm sure that one can produce excellent images with the T, absolutely. And I'm sure the Leica T lenses are good performers. However, there are many other similar cameras on the market that also will take all of those legacy lenses with adaptors. 

Most have additional, useful features like sensor cleaning and built in viewfinders, and are a fraction of the price yet produce equally good quality images. 

The T's main USP is the hand polished body, which is why it is IMHO a case of style over substance. Fashionista's buy it for the bling factor. 

And of course you have proof of this statement and you can publish same?

dunk

This is just a general statement.  Not arguing with anyone.  I get SO TIRED of people who think every camera needs to be perfect to fit their needs!!!!  Getting tired of the trashers and you know who you are.  You all make for humorous reading, however.  I love the Leica T.  Not perfect.  No camera is!!!!  If it doesn't suit you, what does it matter to you.  Why do you have to come up here and pee on it and people who own it????

• Like 3