Leica warranty query

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Greetings all,

I'm in the process of acquiring a used Black M240, which I expect to have next week on trial.

The camera is still under warranty with Leica and I'll have access to owners.leica-camera.com

Can anybody tell me if the existing warranty can be transferred to me, or can I purchase any kind of extension to the warranty to allow it to be transferred.

Kind regards,

Niall

There is an essential difference between the USA and Europe. In the USA the guaranty is on the original owner, and cannot be transferred. Still, Leica Wetzlar will honour the worldwide guaranty provided the camera is sent to Germany.

• Like 1

And the Passport warranty terms also differ…the US has a 3 year Passport on lenses (covering accidental damage, including water), but none on cameras, unlike the UK.

At least that's how I understood the situation a few years ago.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Greetings all,

I'm in the process of acquiring a used Black M240, which I expect to have next week on trial.

The camera is still under warranty with Leica and I'll have access to owners.leica-camera.com

Can anybody tell me if the existing warranty can be transferred to me, or can I purchase any kind of extension to the warranty to allow it to be transferred.

Kind regards,

Niall

Leica warranties are fully transferable in the UK and Europe, although as jaapv said they will always honour world wide warranties in Germany.

If you have evidence of purchase date which could be:

1. Original receipt

2. Email from original dealer confirming sale

3. Completed passport card (in UK)

then Leica will be happy to confirm full warranty.

If you don't have any of the above then Leica will confirm full warranty but starting at the manufacturing date, which could potentially loose you a few months of warranty

In my experience UK authorised dealers are usually happy to confirm purchase dates if of course you can find out which dealer originally sold the camera.

Note that, in agreement with the comment above, you do not actually have to do anything. If you do have need of the warranty (hopefully not!) then you only need to have the above conversation with Leica at that point.

Edited by colonel
  • Like 1