what are the reasons we shoot film today?

620max

My wife says the reason I enjoy shooting with film is that in the time between posting the film off for processing and getting it back I can convince myself I am a wonderful photographer. Until, that is, the film comes back and my obvious shortcomings are exposed. With digital the disappointment is instant.

This is my nomination for Leica Forum Post of the Year!

Seriously, I just sat down from giving you a fifteen second standing ovation....BRAVO!

Jay

• Like 4

This is my nomination for Leica Forum Post of the Year!

Seriously, I just sat down from giving you a fifteen second standing ovation....BRAVO!

Jay

Thank you very much Jaybob. I'll pass on your comment to my wife. She is known for her sense of humour!

• 4 weeks later...

This available light pic taken with an M2 (1966) and 50mm Cron (1983) on Ilford 50 with no post processing says it all.....

Col

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

There is just something unique and different about film. Here are four shots from a roll of Tri-X that recently passed through my M5. My primary camera is the M Monochrom, which I love, but film is different.

Leica M5 with 1937 Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm f/1.5 Sonnar, orange filter

14201353801_66b4c90cc3_b.jpg62760014.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

14181524566_08c0c87ff0_b.jpg62760019.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

Leica M5 with Leica 50mm f2 Summicron-M (v5), orange filter

14181537696_7ac326291a_b.jpg62760033.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

14018018159_2ee7e4e843_b.jpg62760035.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

• Like 8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I will try use a metaphor to explain:

Imagine that your father is a huge car enthusiast, he shows you all possible models when you're a kid. But, he has a big favourite: Corvette. Finally when he get's 60years old he buy himself a Corvette. The moments you're allowed to join him when driving is always a party. So even before the age of 15 there are hanging lots of posters of that car than in your room. If you're 25, you start to dream again about that epic Corvette. After 20 years of money saving and searching you can find the exact model your dad use to drive in. But it's in horribly condition, so you put all your time and money in it to make it look like new again. After several hard years of work, it's finally ready.

The next day you stops at the traffic lights, a new Porsche stops besides you. At that moment, you know that Porsche is faster, quieter, more comfortable, more expensive, more subtle, more polished, more reliable,..... And yet, not even for all the money in the world you would want to change cars.

Thats my analogue M to me.

• Like 4

A film photographer uses his tools to craft an actual, phisical picture on a strip of celluloid; a bit like a painter who gets "down and dirty" to apply color on a canvas, thus creating a tangible piece of work.

Nowadays everybody can use an app on an iPad to make their very own "paintings" which can be pretty and even artful, but can never be considered REAL paintings due to their different intrinsecal nature.

The same can be said about digital images...

But I am NOT talking about Art, here; for Art transcends any instrument or medium. I am discussing mere craftsmanship; and the pure enjoyment of the whole process of developing film and working in the dark room, which, for me, adds another layer to the perception of reality.

• Like 1

These threads always attract long, philosophical posts about the emotional, tactile and spiritual fulfillment of creating 'art' with film, but I'm never really convinced by such posts.

So why do I use film?

Quite simply, even after over four decades of using film, I am still experimenting with it and learning from it. Film is a challenge, especially 35 mm film, and I enjoy finding new combinations of film and chemistry and tweaking my scanning skills to produce the highest quality prints I possibly can from a small negative original.

Digital technology has given me the opportunity to push my skills with film beyond what was possible 20 years ago,. New emulsions and developer formulations provide me with almost limitless choices at the starting point and the enjoyment I get from experimenting and pushing my skills at each stage of the imaging process is what drives my continuing interest in using film.

The fact is I can now produce a 24" digital print that is technically far superior to anythig previously possible from a 35mm silver halide negative, but there is more to learn and my journey with film continues.

• Like 1

These threads always attract long, philosophical posts about the emotional, tactile and spiritual fulfillment of creating 'art' with film, but I'm never really convinced by such posts.

So why do I use film?

Quite simply, even after over four decades of using film, I am still experimenting with it and learning from it. Film is a challenge, especially 35 mm film, and I enjoy finding new combinations of film and chemistry and tweaking my scanning skills to produce the highest quality prints I possibly can from a small negative original.

Digital technology has given me the opportunity to push my skills with film beyond what was possible 20 years ago,. New emulsions and developer formulations provide me with almost limitless choices at the starting point and the enjoyment I get from experimenting and pushing my skills at each stage of the imaging process is what drives my continuing interest in using film.

The fact is I can now produce a 24" digital print that is technically far superior to anythig previously possible from a 35mm silver halide negative, but there is more to learn and my journey with film continues.

Your landscape work is simply breathtaking.

Peter.

• Like 1

This answer is only 75% serious. Please take it with a pinch of satire.

I enjoy shooting film because shooting film makes me feel like a super hero. Only bad guys run around with their guns and dslr's making a bunch of noise as the sound of the mirror slap echos across the room. On-lookers run for the hills, while viewers shake their heads in judgmental disgust from the safety of their screen. Bad guys use guns.

Then comes the hero or heroine. They vow to never use a gun. They dash into the scene, strikes a powerful imposing pose; then whips out their weapon - some kind of boomerang, a Bow and arrow, or some kind of sword. Definitely it is some archaic contraption that has been long forgotten by history and bad guys around the world.

Realistically speaking, no hero ought to bring a knife to a gun fight. So how can our heroes continue to overcome the forces of evil day after day? The explanation is two fold. Firstly, shock and awe. The concept of using such an antiquated machine completely shocks and stuns the forces - which gives our heroes the opportunity to jump in and save the day. Secondly, our heroes must be masters of their craft. You can’t exactly put the Green Arrow’s Bow into Batman’s hand. Nor Spiderman’s web to Ironman. Our heroes have become masters of their craft and have found many different ways to overcome its own short comings to defeat the forces of evil.

As analogue photographers, we also have to confront the forces of the DSLR on a daily basis. DSLR owners are often confused by the thought of film. “You can still buy film?” they say more as a statement than a question. We show books and prints, instead of ipads. We put a film camera into their hands, and they have no idea what to do with it. Yet, if you put a gun in the hands of an analogue photographer, we are just as deadly.

Good job heroes. Good job.

• Like 1

Hi I have recently sold all my Olympus film equipment to purchase a Leica M9,I have been doing quite a bit of research on the M9 and had my heart set on one.But for some reason and I am not sure what I am going back to film.Film captures time and takes me back in time, I am new to Leica equipment and this forum I have purchased a Summicron M90 f2 but yet to purchase the M7 I just wish my wife was understanding and give me the money but I am working on it thanks Dave.

• Like 1

You already own one and do not want to do the digital learning curve with one of the most expensive cameras out there.

Trust me, you will not save money with digital.

Time in the darkroom is peaceful. No interruptions.

Scanning film is 45 min per frame of cleaning up emulsion defects if you are fussy. 3 min if not.

You can use 3 micron water filters, hepa air filters, cotton gloves, hospital clean darkroom, fresh chemicals from clean glass bottles. it is still there. They do not show in the optical prints, but the scanner sees them.

I keep my sensors clean and spotting is almost not necessary.

I agree about the peaceful time in the darkroom, I loved the magic, when the image appeared out of nowhere in the developer basin. The last time I did it, I took 12 frames on 120 film, typically enlarged six of them and gone was half a day (including mixing the chemicals and cleaning up). Wish I still had the time.

I have no experience with wet drum scanning but don't have much of a dust issue with my dry scanner, although I develop my black-and-white films in the bathroom (C41 goes to the professionals, who also have better scanners, when needed). I simply blow over the film with a bellows and have a speck of dust left in the scan now and then only.

Stefan

I read this wonderful topic even because I am back to film since just one year. I got an M2 and at the beginning I enjoy it as a new toys, than day by day, using different film I started to look at the shot as something more than a simple game.

I start to love film and using more and more and finally I started to use it for paid assignment and the result I have obtained made happy me and my client.

I am not sure there will be a bright future for film but at least for me is a brand new way to shot picture and I have a lot of fun doing :-)

• Like 1

Just because I cannot "cheat" with transparencies. What's on that original transparency won't go through hours of agonizing computer enhancement, change, obliteration of unwanted elements, addition of things that were never there originally and changes in color just to make a "PICTURE !"

What you shoot is what you get - - - - -no BS and no hours of staring at a computer screen that may not be color calibrated properly to begin with.

I still have some Astia, Provia and Velvia in the freezer.

Enough rant from a truly ancient geezer

Here’s another photograph from last month, again shot on Ilford 50 with my 1966 M2 and that 1983 Cron 50 using only natural light and my eyes. The scanned image sustained zero post-processing. My daughter thought it had been taken 50 years ago!

Col

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by colmac
  • Like 5

I shoot film because :

There's a sense of 'making something' at every stage.

I have a nicely fitted out darkroom that would otherwise slowly degrade and go to waste.

I have bulk loaders full of film.

To the layman, shooting and especially developing film gives them the impression you must 'really know your stuff'. :)

It gives your camera a full-frame interchangeable sensor.

Typically, Leica Film M's are cheaper, more reliable, longer lasting and (some) don't require batteries.