what are the reasons we shoot film today?

620max

.... , most importantly because it's a real tangible object not 1 and 0's on a hard drive.

Just discoloured silver halides on a bit of plastic instead. ;) LOL

Actually, I agree with you. :D

One extra little point. When I travel I shoot digital first and then assess the composition and light for the potential to take a transparency.

When I then project these transparencies to groups of photographers they all say that there is a natural vibrancy in the results that thy do not see in digital.

It is interesting to see that the results from film give and alternative viewing experience to all the advantages of digital. There is a cost to all of this but as we know there are costs to digital photography and, as someone said, we can then take the film results through the digital processing world.

After shooting film in all formats for decades I went completely digital. Mainly because I shoot commercially and it was just the way to go. I have an MM and I love it. I just bought an M3 a few days ago and loaded up a roll of film. Almost immediately I was at home and comfortable.

One observation that made me laugh out loud to myself was how selective you become with what you shoot when using film. I tend to be a little more precise and take a second to be sure. Each frame is some how much more precious. I'd forgotten that.

G

• Like 3

I keep going back to film, and I'm so excited to have just joined a local darkroom so I can print again.

There are many reasons to enjoy film (whilst still using digital) but one is simply that you can, but might not always be able to. The number of times I travel and hear tales from people of how it is now impossible to buy film in some parts of the world, or have it processed. Certain films get discontinued.

For those of us still with good access to this long lasting beautiful medium, which many people feel digital still has not really surpassed (although of course in some aspects it has) we should use it whilst we can.

In fact I have just started playing with Fuji polaroid film, in a 6x9 Mamiya press camera - it means I can make larger than 2x3 full frame prints, with a lovely quality - and I'm working on the technique to recover the negative from the part you normally throw away. It's such fun using these different techniques, and so much more interesting than firing away a point and shoot or digital SLR (not Leica M though - I tend to use that more like a film camera anyway) - but just as I do Fuji are discontinuing the black and white polaroid film. Like many others, I'm buying up as many stocks I can get as nobody else makes it, and maybe nobody else will. Another reason to use it now before it's gone

I keep going back to film, and I'm so excited to have just joined a local darkroom so I can print again.

There are many reasons to enjoy film (whilst still using digital) but one is simply that you can, but might not always be able to. The number of times I travel and hear tales from people of how it is now impossible to buy film in some parts of the world, or have it processed. Certain films get discontinued.

For those of us still with good access to this long lasting beautiful medium, which many people feel digital still has not really surpassed (although of course in some aspects it has) we should use it whilst we can.

In fact I have just started playing with Fuji polaroid film, in a 6x9 Mamiya press camera - it means I can make larger than 2x3 full frame prints, with a lovely quality - and I'm working on the technique to recover the negative from the part you normally throw away. It's such fun using these different techniques, and so much more interesting than firing away a point and shoot or digital SLR (not Leica M though - I tend to use that more like a film camera anyway) - but just as I do Fuji are discontinuing the black and white polaroid film. Like many others, I'm buying up as many stocks I can get as nobody else makes it, and maybe nobody else will. Another reason to use it now before it's gone

+1.

I'm also getting in to the instant peel apart films (but shooting on a land camera). The discontinuation of Fuji's FP-3000b is a huge disappointment for photography lovers everywhere. The biggest shock for film lovers since the demise of Kodachrome. :( What a fantastic and beautiful film that is, great performance and gorgeous, gorgeous results. And there is something very magical about the instant results and the tactility of the process. I love it.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'd like to include this, even though there is a digital type of thing...:rolleyes:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Victorinoxy
  • Like 1

It's enlightening to discover the number of film aficionados out there and see a biological end is not in sight i.e. youngsters are trying their hand at an old trade and loving it. Waiting for film to be developed is not for everybody in a hurried society, but as someone remarked, the results can be very rewarding, satisfying too. The day I took those old car photos – see above – my companion rushed around, his big Nikon clicking away like a demented ratchet. While my 2 rolls of film produced some excellent photos I have still to see any of his. Probably still in post-processing……

Col

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I like shooting film today, well, because it's fun!

I enjoy looking at and loading film cassettes into cameras! Actuating the super smooth film advance is such a pleasure. Not having an exact confirmation of whether or not you blotched that last exposure is quite a thrill as well. I feel like a scientist pouring chemicals into my developing tank; I feel like a magician when I pull out my negatives from the fixer!

Mentally, film lets me enjoy photography while taking fewer shots. When I shoot digital, I take more frames than I really need too. I often feel a little down because I have to review through so many garbage photos that I feel like I, myself, am a trash photographer. I'm not saying film will make me a better photographer, but I know it will help cut down on the amount of shoddy images I have to sort through.

And I guess I'll be honest, film is the only viable way I can enjoy the rangefinder experience. I can't deal with autofocus -- I don't like leaving the fate of my photos in the hands of the camera. I want to be in control of it, and I want to be the one to blame if something goes wrong.

If I was gifted any digital Leica I would definitely use it, but I can't fork out the money to buy one myself. Though, I think at this point in time, I may not enjoy a digital M as much as my M2!

For me the main reason to shoot film is dynamic range and how the highlights do not blow up and the smooth gradient of highlights.

Film is ideal tool for bright sunlight in summer.

Also i'm worried how long of the electronics last in digital M.

3 year guarantee doesn't justify the investment. But in other hand the metal body and gorilla glass give me confidence of long lasting reliability.

I have a bunch of great film cameras...Leica's, Nikon F's, Rolleiflexes, 4x5's. I love the way they handle, I love the absence of menus and batteries and buttons that need remembering what they're for. I love the simplicity of loading a roll of film and just shooting, then taking it to get it developed and printed by the lab who knows exactly how I like it done...oh wait, they went out of business 10 years ago. Now I need to mail it away and pay ridiculous prices. Or do it myself, which I always hated because the reason I like photography is getting out shooting. So I pick up my lovely film cameras, run through the gears a bit, put them back, then grab my 5D or M240 and go out shooting.

• 2 weeks later...
Really? Where? If I May ask...

On reflection I'm reluctant to name the store as I think they forgot to charge me for the processing and only charged me for the "scan to cd" and I don't want to get anyone into trouble.

However the Tesco's photo departments have been taken over by Max Spielmann. The scans are only 1895 x 1272 jpgs at about 1mb each and, although not great, they are sharp and after tweaking in Lightroom, reasonable for computer use.

And they are cheap - £1.95 a roll.

Larger ASDAs have photo departments.

The one at the Trafford Centre will process only and scan to CD, with an index print (which is very handy) for £3. If you have two films, they will put both on the one CD and charge a fiver.

This is an hour service too and they are careful with your negs (at least this branch is).

It's almost restored my faith in C41... and I may buy a load of Portra to take with me to France and Istanbul in October.

• Like 1