X Vario Users....

fotografr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@Satijntje,

JPEG 16M

DNG+JPG fine

BnW natural

every other parameters Standard

I kept Auto shutter, f mainly on 5.6, and choose ISO = 400 ( remenber TriX or TMax... ;) ). Till now, I'm using mainly AF.

Oh, I got the Olympus VF2 but I use also some optical VF.

Yes I have still a lot to explore, but I'm already very happy with my X Vario.

• Like 2

As example of what is coming straight from the camera: BnW:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

DNG Capture One on standard settings (X Vario profile).

As said above post: 400ISO, f/5.6, EV -0.7, AF, 1/1250 s, l=32 mm. (50 red on lens)

Rmq: passing from 3.26 and 23.8 Mb to 135 Kb looses some definition...!:( I am not an expert in posting pictures, this is evident!).

Edited by papimuzo
some typings
  • Like 2

Just curious: how well does the possibility of getting close compensate for the poor max aperture when it comes to blurring the background, for instance in portraits? Any shots of this kind to share?

As example of what is coming straight from the camera: BnW:

[ATTACH]391101[/ATTACH]

DNG Capture One on standard settings (X Vario profile).

[ATTACH]391102[/ATTACH]

As said above post: 400ISO, f/5.6, EV -0.7, AF, 1/1250 s, l=32 mm. (50 red on lens)

Rmq: passing from 3.26 and 23.8 Mb to 135 Kb looses some definition...!:( I am not an expert in posting pictures, this is evident!).

These make me very anxious to use mine. Image quality is superb.

Just curious: how well does the possibility of getting close compensate for the poor max aperture when it comes to blurring the background, for instance in portraits? Any shots of this kind to share?

IMHO, if you are looking for bokeh or out of focus area then the XV is not the camera you want to get. Don't want to rain on your party but just what I feel.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hmm.. as I guessed then. I reckon the X2 is a much better choice as a compact travelmate. Of course you need to get pretty close with that one too, in order to separate subject from background, but the result is probably better (my guess, as I've tried neither of them).

As is often the case in this kind of discussion, it all depends on what kind of photos you want to take. As a matter of fact, if you use the X Vario at a wide aperture at any focal length fairly close to your subject, you will get more than enough out-of-focus background to separate your subject from it. What you won’t get is the same shallowness of focus that you get from Leica’s faster lenses used wide open but not everyone wants that all of the time. Even when I’m using a fast lens I don’t always want to blur the background out of existence.

If you’re not getting any bokeh to speak of from your X Vario, I wouldn’t discount user error.

• Like 1

Well, I am now shooting mostly film on M6 with cron 35 and 50. I do travel a lot, and sometimes it is just a pity not to take some color shots, which is why I think of getting an all-round digital which gives me decent image quality without sacrificing the possibility of good portraits when that time comes. See the top image on this post (Steep lives in the Hindu Kush, Afghanistan | Il cimento della fotografia) to get an idea of what I'm talking about. That is taken with a Summicron 50 at f2, from about minimum focusing distance which is 70 cm. I was just wondering if you can get more ore less the same with a Vario, by opening up and getting closer. But I guess the X2 would do, being also lighter and half the price.

Edited by anta
  • Like 1

Well, I am now shooting mostly film on M6 with cron 35 and 50. I do travel a lot, and sometimes it is just a pity not to take some color shots, which is why I think of getting an all-round digital which gives me decent image quality without sacrificing the possibility of good portraits when that time comes. See the top image on this post (Steep lives in the Hindu Kush, Afghanistan | Il cimento della fotografia) to get an idea of what I'm talking about. That is taken with a Summicron 50 at f2, from about minimum focusing distance which is 70 cm. I was just wondering if you can get more ore less the same with a Vario, by opening up and getting closer. But I guess the X2 would do, being also lighter and half the price.

That's a very fine picture. I would be surprised if you couldn’t blur the background to a similar degree with an X Vario but, you’re right, the X2 might also do it. With the X Vario you get that extra bit of focal length flexibility and a lens that you can safely use wide open.

I haven’t done any portraits but I have taken a few shots with the X Vario where I wanted to separate the subject from the background without losing all detail in the background. Here are a couple of examples from the X Vario that I’ve posted here:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/other/288827-leica-x-vario-photos-2.html#post2442774

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/technology-industry/294233-ic-ben-ghegoten-int-yaer-mcccccx.html#post2466932

• Like 3

Just bought my XV last weekend in Hamburg after thinking a lot in which direction to go after selling all my heavy Eos equipment (M-E vs. X2 or XV). Love the little camera and outstanding IQ. However, one has to get used to the split screen when using manual focus. Regarding this, coming from a DSLR, certainly is a step backwards but highly compensated by the lovely small package for a travelling camera with a great zoom lens. As always in life, there are compromises to be accepted ...

At last I didn't take the M after making a quick mental calculation concerning the expected losses in a 5-6 year holding period for the camera. Of course these will be higher in percent on the XV than on the M body with 2 used lenses in mint condition, but in absolute figures it will be probably far less, whilst the investment sums up to less than 1/3. As I am no professional who can depreciate the investment easily this is relevant for me, too. I believe Leica really makes a good deal with the XV and reaches a new customer group not (yet) ready for, respectively not (yet) willing to pay for a complete set of M plus lenses.

I defnitely will also get an X2 or her successor later on as my "evening out" camera, which fits into a small pocket.

• Like 1

Hmm.. as I guessed then. I reckon the X2 is a much better choice as a compact travelmate. Of course you need to get pretty close with that one too, in order to separate subject from background, but the result is probably better (my guess, as I've tried neither of them).

I think it depends on what kind of travel pics you want. Sure the x2 has a faster lens but its limited in that its a fixed focal length. The XV has a very useful focal length for travel shots.

But if you are primairly interested in bokeh the the X2 would be a better call

I did just this test in my review (see first page of thread for link). I compared a 75mm f/2 APO on the M 240 with the X Vario at 70mm, both at minimum focus distance (0.7m for the M and 0.3m for the XV). The Vario held up quite well and can definitely produce some very nice close-up shots with limited DOF.

• Like 1

Thank you guys for providing more food for the thoughts. And David, excellent review of the XV, that answers many questions. I went to a local dealer to "feel" the XV, and must say that it places itself much closer to a M than a X2 when it comes to size and weight (or impression of it). For this reason, more then the bokeh, my feeling so far is that a X2 would make a better digital travelmate for my Tri-X loaded M6.

I did just this test in my review (see first page of thread for link). I compared a 75mm f/2 APO on the M 240 with the X Vario at 70mm, both at minimum focus distance (0.7m for the M and 0.3m for the XV). The Vario held up quite well and can definitely produce some very nice close-up shots with limited DOF.

Here is a closeup with nice DOF.

I did a review, including a couple of updates, of the X Vario on my blog. There is a link below.

The Flipboard Mag I put together has some good info too. Link below.

• Like 6

In the last few days I have posted two lists on my blog that contain suggestions about how I wish Leica would update the X Vario. Check it out if you have a chance.

Vic's Photo Blog | Street Photography with My Leica Cameras

They are also on the Flipboard magazine I put together about the X Vario. Link is the last one in my signature below.

Here's a close-up of a dead wasp taken with my X-Vario with three Leitz Elpro VIb c/u lenses screwed onto the front of the lens via an adaptor. The X-Vario lens plus ancient Elpros makes a very capable combination.

9495791694_48d4088811_b.jpg

46mm (70mm equiv. FF) ISO 200, f16 1/60 sec. natural window light.

... Now if only Leica would consider manufacture of a modern dedicated Elpro for the camera. But it's probably an unlikely project given the price of the S2 Elpro lens :eek:

Best wishes

dunk

Edited by dkpeterborough
  • Like 9

IMHO, if you are looking for bokeh or out of focus area then the XV is not the camera you want to get. Don't want to rain on your party but just what I feel.

...don't want to rain on yours either but you're beginning to sound like a parrot yourself.

X-Vario @ 70mm

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Has any X Vario owners tried the Nikon SB-400 on the camera yet? I am just wondering if this works as the SB-400 is very portable and it also has a bounced option too. Not to mention, it;s very comfortable too. Thanks :D