D-Lux 5 new firmware reduced picture quality

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone,

Can anyone guide me how to revert back to the original D-Lux 5 firmware?

I recently re-purchased a D-Lux 5.

My first one, a 2012 build was a sensational camera. I sold it to update to a D-lux 6 but immediately found the 6 didn't match the image quality of the 5 in many areas so I sought out another DL5.

I eventually found a brand new "old stock" D-lux 5 and was rapt. It is a July 2011 build and straight out of the box it was the old Leica DL5, with beautiful clear natural 3 dimensional shots straight out of the camera every time.

I then updated the firmware to version 2.0 and took it out for a day of picture taking.

The results were disastrous, and very similar to the losses of the DL6. Pictures were now flat, 2 dimensional with clearly reduced clarity and even the colours were now false and pasty looking.

Has anyone else had this and can anyone guide me how to revert back to the original firmware?

I desperately want to return to the original firmware.

I usually shoot in standard colour aperture priority mode, or AP mode B&W.

Thanks in advance,

*I noticed someone in DPreview forum posted exactly the same findings 11months ago with their DL5. He also shot Standard colour Aperature priority mode.

roger anthony

Hi Roger,

Welcome here.

I really like using my D-Lux 5 (bought end 2010) but must admit that I did not notice the change you are describing after installing the latest firmware. Perhaps you could post sample pictures?

Actually, I found the image quality of the D-Lux 5 to vary widely depending on the light and iso setting (e.g. going downhill >200 iso) -- and in which form the user is a given day :rolleyes: The camera occasionally surprises me with great rendering of details and very nuanced tones, then it just seems to erase about anything meaningful I might have seen in scene (and in most cases probably wasn't there in the first place...). One big variable is camera shake; I still have no clear idea when/if the stabilizer kicks in, but blocking the camera the best way possible (I don't use a tripod) often works -- the zombie position most definitely not. Basically, anytime I'm unhappy, checking my technique first helps most.

Now, I guess you could write to Leica via their site to figure out if the old firmware is still available for download or could be sent to you.

Cheers,

Alexander

• Like 1

Roger, another thought: are you referring to jpeg or raw files? If jpeg, I wonder if the firmware upgrade could perhaps have altered or zeroed your settings, i.e. noise reduction, sharpening, saturation etc.?

Alexander

• Like 1

I think that something in the NR - after downloading the last firmware- is not as

It was before. Bay saying that, I mean that the NR is activating all the time, no matter if you disable it (one of the camera menu options), or just reduced it a little bit.

though I'm not using my D-LUX 5 as often as before, it is obviously there; in the pictures (jpeg) that I took not long ago. I have to agree with Mr. Anthony findings, that something from the camera magic is lost. I hope that someone at the company R&D department will address that issue.

Jeri

PS

Leica should remember that there is

life before the new D-LUX 6 and not

abounding us; costumers that pay so much

for the LEICA D-LUX 5 (all in the name),

instead, going with the LX-5

• Like 1

Hi David,

I've a simple answer to your question. thou that I captured

RAW together with JPEG files, I like the jpegs more. and

It's because what that Leica D-Lux 5 camera JPEG engine

ability (or knows how) to produce.

So in the meantime I'd cancelled the NR and the results look fine to me.

If you and others want to try, here is my recipe;

Camera on, Menu button:

Film modes – now, scroll down first to Sharpening and set the graph bar on -1 value.

After that go one step down to the NR and set the bar on -2 and that's all.

But one moment, we didn’t finish yet. You need to go beck to the main Menu,

and press down to all the way to Setup. go to 2nd page CUST.SET MEM. and

save your new preference, that's all.

Jeri

from ~ What I Did Last Night (3200 ISO and no NR)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Roger,

Welcome here.

Actually, I found the image quality of the D-Lux 5 to vary widely depending on the light and iso setting (e.g. going downhill >200 iso)....

One big variable is camera shake; I still have no clear idea when/if the stabilizer kicks in, but blocking the camera the best way possible (I don't use a tripod) often works -- the zombie position most definitely not. Basically, anytime I'm unhappy, checking my technique first helps most.

Now, I guess you could write to Leica via their site to figure out if the old firmware is still available for download or could be sent to you.

Roger, another thought: are you referring to jpeg or raw files? If jpeg, I wonder if the firmware upgrade could perhaps have altered or zeroed your settings, i.e. noise reduction, sharpening, saturation etc.?

Cheers,

Alexander

Hello Alexander,

Firstly thank you very much for your warm welcome and your kind detailed and helpful input. I really do appreciate it very much!

As a quick background...

I used a Nikon 801s 35mm/Nikkor 80-200 @ 2.8/2.8 ED for many years. Knowing the joys of carrying around a bazooka lens :rolleyes: last year I found myself wanting a small discrete carry everywhere cam for quality spontaneous shooting.

In the past 6 months I have had 3 D-lux 5 and 1 D-lux 6.

D-Lux 5 (1) mid 2012 model (I believe old firmware) - great shots almost every time.

D-Lux 6 - beautiful tangible feel but disappointing in not matching DL5 IQ

D-Lux 5 (2) 06/2011 model (old firmware) - great shots almost every time.

D-Lux 5 (3) 07/2011 model (initially old firmware) - fine detail wonderful colour

...later (new firmware v 2.0) - loss of edge detail, pasty less natural colour, more like a D-Lux 6.

I as you, have found the DL5 to sometimes produce stunning results for such a small sensor compact. To quote Jeri's words the DL5 has "camera magic."

I also agree with you that the performance drops at >200 iso, so I always have the camera set to 200iso max in settings, only changing them in circumstances that necessitate greater.

I, as you Alexander, find it a little difficult to know when the Camera stabilizer is doing its thing. I notice it when i try to make a fine change in composition only to find the VF image to jump as i do suggesting it was activating and therefore locked awaiting shutter release. I think this will only be a matter of getting used to, probably more difficult for users shooting with multiple cameras.

Fact is you're absolutely right, one has to be always aware and reminded to check their technique regularly to get the most from their photography.

I have contacted Leica Aust. and their repair agent re. a firmware reversal, but they themselves do not have the ability and have suggested, and offered to do themselves, to check the preset settings. If this produces no findings they have indicated they will do whatever they can to help. Overall their input so far has been pleasing and involved although there is no straight forward access to revert back to the original old firmware.

I do suggest owners of D-lux 5 to consider carefully before updating to the new firmware.

Things are not always as they appear. Just because something is introduced as an update, does not necessarily mean it is an improvement. I believe this of the D-lux 6. Photographically I believe the DL 5 to take better photos than the DL 6. I have not read anyone suggesting this so this is entirely my own finding, but if you need convincing spend an hour looking at DL 6 photos in flickr and then a further hour looking at DL 5 photos (for a more complete analysis spend a further hour on the LX5 and LX7). We do not have the benefit of A for A comparisons, therefore this is the next best thing evaluating through process of elimination (unrelated shots from unrelated users). My theory is that, if you look at some 200 DL6 photos and only 4 of them are high quality, but then look at some 200 DL5 photos and find 90 photos are high quality, then there you have a conclusion. Further to this having used both cameras myself certainly photographically I have found the DL5 noticeably superior. I haven't compared the video, but I would expect the DL6 to be far superior in this mode. Also to the DL6 credit, it feels nicer in the hand. The DL6 has more weight applied to the top mount mode dial which gives it a higher quality feel and the aperture ring is a much anticipated joy to use. But at the end of the day the DL5 feels very nice and if it takes better photos (IMO) then that is the one I will choose every time.

Alexander, as to your question asking do I shoot in jpg or raw?

I feel there is an often voiced stigma out there that serious photographers only shoot raw, and that jpg is for amateurs.

This is my thoughts on this subject. I set the cam to record both. I like to shoot many many photos often many of the same shot. Being 45 years of age and cutting my teeth on 35mm where as a youth I spend a tremendous amount of my spare money on having photographs processed/developed, I am really appreciating the luxury of no-cost digital. On a personal level, I do not have the time to individually LR adjust every photo I take, therefore the jpg's are invaluable to me. The primary beauty and reasoning for my choosing the DL5 in the first place is that the Leica jpg engine is so damn good. Therefore I have instant wonderful record of all my shots and the ones that are my favorites I can then further work in Lightroom for further enhancement. I will note though that whilst sometimes they can be improved on noticeably, at times certain jpg's cannot be improved.

(FWIW In LR I generally notch up exposure +1/3, contrast -1, shadow detail +1 and glarity +1, thereabouts).

Alexander I will upload/add to this thread some DL5 & DL6 photos soon. These are just my findings and I welcome all other members input whether they be the same or on the contrary.

Alexander once again thank you very much for your comments and advice.

roger anthony. :)

I think that something in the NR - after downloading the last firmware- is not as

It was before. Bay saying that, I mean that the NR is activating all the time, no matter if you disable it (one of the camera menu options), or just reduced it a little bit.

though I'm not using my D-LUX 5 as often as before, it is obviously there; in the pictures (jpeg) that I took not long ago. I have to agree with Mr. Anthony findings, that something from the camera magic is lost. I hope that someone at the company R&D department will address that issue.

Jeri

PS

Leica should remember that there is

life before the new D-LUX 6 and not

abounding us; costumers that pay so much

for the LEICA D-LUX 5 (all in the name),

instead, going with the LX-5

Hello Jeri,

Thank you so much for your input.

I find it interesting that you also have the same findings in that the latest firmware has a negative impact on jpg's.

If you google D-lux 5 firmware threads you will find the dpreview post from 11 months ago with exactly the same findings. For reference, I was not aware of the DPrev thread until I googled it after my findings so rest assured I was not subconsciously influenced by something I had read previous.

In the same way, I have not yet come across anyone who has concluded that the DL5 produces better photos than the DL6. Steve Huff in having used both the DL5 & the DL6 concluded that the DL6's image quality is no better, but I am going one step further in saying that based on my findings that they are not equal but that the DL5 has actually superior image quality than the DL6. With old firmware the DL5 has what you described "camera magic," the DL6 doesn't. I even find the DL4 to have superior IQ to the DL6 and comparable to the DL5.

Again I welcome any comments from DL6 or DL5 users, as I am quite interested to hear others views.

Hi David,

I've a simple answer to your question. thou that I captured

RAW together with JPEG files, I like the jpegs more. and

It's because what that Leica D-Lux 5 camera JPEG engine

ability (or knows how) to produce.

So in the meantime I'd cancelled the NR and the results look fine to me.

If you and others want to try, here is my recipe;

...thank you Jeri for your input here also.

I agree that one of the strengths of the Leica is that it produces such wonderful images (jpg's) straight out of the box. That is of great importance for people who shoot large numbers and don't have the time to process all their captures. It was only due to the jpg engine that I chose the DL5 over the LX5.

roger anthony. :)

Hello Roger,

Thanks a lot for your thoughtful posts. My photo history and age are not so different from yours (except that the last and only Nikon I used was the Coolpix 990) and I quite share your approach to RAW and JPG, specifically from the camera I carry with me all the time (more often than my film M). I was not so happy with the D-Lux 4 and sold it quite quickly, but have no desire to get a D-Lux 6. I might more carefully check on the JPG quality encountered before and after upgrading the firmware of the D-Lux 5 (in my case last summer) —*that I didn't notice it explicitly doesn't mean of course that there isn't a difference.

In fact, although recording them, too, I quite rarely used the RAW files coming from the D-Lux 5 before about two months ago, but had often wished I did. This was a matter of being on the move with a Mac PowerPC unable to run LR3. Since January, I am using Raw Photo Processor (RPP works on my G4 - and now my MBP2008) for the pics I cannot otherwise adjust to my liking. In some cases (esp. w/higher iso, dull light, desire for max. detail or the K64 colours), I find this to be revealing what I hoped for, in others they are just so close to the JPG that it's hardly worth the effort. A difference when using RAW in RPP is that the in-camera corrections for distortion etc. are not applied and result in a larger image. Sometimes I'm very glad about the additional detail framed this way.

Still, very often, before or after the firmware change, I adjusted the JPGs coming from the camera in Photoshop. Sometimes quite substantially: levels, curves, highlight/shadows recovery, unsharp mask (examples I posted in the gallery are here and here. Others I did not touch at all, if I remember well (here before firmware change).

Most often I use the "natural" colour mode, when even possible at 80 iso up to 200 iso, with noise reduction set to -2 and sharpening to +1. Only since recently I also use the "all-auto-gritty-b/w" mode at 1600 iso, which to me has surprisingly good tones.

I'm trying to illustrate the point of the D-Lux 5's varying image quality, I guess. But I will be having a closer look at the JPGs and would be curious to hear about the possibility to revert to the older firmware.

Cheers,

Alexander

In the post above, the third link to the image seems not be working. Here again (hopefully in the message now since embedding the link again didn't work):

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/members/30519-albums5705-picture11216.jpg

Takes me to complementary observations: close-up and macros seem sharper with in-camera treatment than images taken at a distance; closing the lens beyond f/4-4,5 quickly leads to reduced sharpness due to diffraction; the 90mm equivalent at f/3,3 seems softer than other focal lengths.

Best,

Alexander

Edited by xalo