M6 or Monochrom?

gniquil

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My personal approach is to carry two cameras -- my M9 (will be replaced with an M) for color and an M7 or M3 for black and white. The B&W images are developed by me (very easy) or at a pro lab if I have no time. The scans are made by a pro lab here in Dallas (I hate scanning -- too lengthy and indifferent results). They do any big prints also, both color and B&W.

• Like 1

Why do people refer to using film as "analogue"? It's chemistry.

Analog in the sense that the camera is not electronic. It's mechanical, hence, analog in comparison to electronic.

The film itself isn't "analog". But the film cameras are.

MONOCHROM.

film is, quite frankly, a royal waste of time. don't get me wrong....i enjoy and respect it....but with the huge quality of current digital technology----there's no excuse to still shoot film IMO......occasionally sure....all the time? skip!

MONOCHROM.

film is, quite frankly, a royal waste of time. don't get me wrong....i enjoy and respect it....but with the huge quality of current digital technology----there's no excuse to still shoot film IMO......occasionally sure....all the time? skip!

I think people with such a narrow view of life and art are fascinating.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i think it would be wiser to just keep your M9. you say your prints are gorgeous.

otherwise my film "workflow" is not that expensive. 2.50-4€ a roll of film, about 30 cents costs for developing chemicals, 5€ scanning costs for high quality, 2€ for medium quality. makes about 5-9€ per roll all included. i sometimes shoot 8 rolls a month (besides digital), sometimes only 2. I would recommend sleeping over it. if you want to use film as a medium just go for it. no need to go all in. after all you like your M9. the monochrom is the best, but in that case only advisable if you're seriously not satisfied with your M9 quality. converting is not that much of a hassle compared to the sum of money that will go into that monochrom thing.

if you feel the urge to do it, want it then go for it. nothing worse than trying to talk yourself into something you dont want. but I'd carefully consider beforehand;)

Well, if it helps any, I recently bought an M3 and shot my first roll of fim through it, a long-expired roll of T-Max 400. According to my chemistry bottles, I hadn't mixed chemistry since April of 1996. So, I set about mixing my chemistry and processed the first roll I've done since then. I was pleased when the negs came ouf of the wash. The density and contrast looked good.

This brings back the fond memory of making prints with my grandfather in I think 1979, in his bathroom turned darkroom. The only box of photopaper we had was Agfa Brovira with an expiry date of 1942 which my grandpa had kept in his cabinet since WWII. The prints came out great - the paper base was slightly yellowish but otherwise no problems. No relevance to this thread of course but makes me smile :). I'd suggest you keep the M9 and be happy, by the way.

I've shot thousands of rolls of film in my career and honestly really don't miss it at all. I thought I would but I just don't. I do miss making fiber prints but had to give up the darkroom because it was literally killing me. Even wearing a respirator I would become immediately fatigued upon entering it and my wife said my skin was gray. Something to think about....

And yes, the initial outlay for a digital camera is much more than a film one and yes it can relate to shooting x number of rolls of film, but you can never sell that film that's been processed (even at a loss) and there's nothing worse than plonking down several hundred dollars at the lab counter and realizing then realizing that maybe only one or two shots were worth it. That said, film has it's own look and there's reasons it's still sold and shot, thank god.

I am selling my back up M9 at a loss and have a Monochrom coming. I was thinking of shooting my next project on b&w medium format film but even that just leaves me feeling tired (and no a MM can't replicate that look) and I even own an Imacon scanner. I think though if you don't have a particular use in mind for the MM (I do) then the M9 is good enough. But only you can tell what works best. What I like about the MM is the ability to go to 10,000 iso and the fact that your thinking is different when you know the camera is "loaded" with only b&w "film," so to speak.

• Like 2

I faced the same question. I had an MP and a Nikon Coolscan. I got my film developed (also in Dallas) and would scan in the rolls and PP them in LR and PS. A couple of years ago film and developing began to get pretty expensive. And the lab's work became uneven. I had a Coolscan 9000, and found out that it would have cost a fortune to fix if it ever broke down. Considering the increasing expense of film, Kodak's troubles, the lab's inconsistent results, and the huge amount of time I spent scanning, I chucked the film stuff and now have a Monochrom. Haven't regretted the decision a bit. You might think 1600 is all right until you shoot 2500, 3200, 5000, and even 10k. As some others have said, the Mono files are a different kind of animal, and the camera has even made post-process fun.

Analog in the sense that the camera is not electronic. It's mechanical, hence, analog in comparison to electronic.

The film itself isn't "analog". But the film cameras are.

Not sure that really works, Borge. The last top of the range film cameras were every bit as electronic as their digital counter-parts. The only difference was a chemical process for image capture, as opposed to an electronic sensor.

Cheers

John

Not sure that really works, Borge. The last top of the range film cameras were every bit as electronic as their digital counter-parts. The only difference was a chemical process for image capture, as opposed to an electronic sensor.

Cheers

John

I can't remember an electronic / digital Leica film body ever being made?

This is a Leica forum after all :-)

I can't remember an electronic / digital Leica film body ever being made?

This is a Leica forum after all :-)

Sorry - I forgot that Leica and Leica users live in a special world all of their own, where a camera like an F6 isn't really electronic because it uses film.

Incidentally, the M7 is purely mechanical only at 1/60 & 1/125.

Sorry - I forgot that Leica and Leica users live in a special world all of their own, where a camera like an F6 isn't really electronic because it uses film.

Incidentally, the M7 is purely mechanical only at 1/60 & 1/125.

I am not living in a world of my own.

I'm just trying to provide some answers to the details your are nitpicking about.

In the modern world the opposite of digital is analog. It's as easy as that.

Stay away from film. Save the environment, your lungs, and hours of being outdoors shooting, plus you won't have a studio that looks like this. The M's have transformed my practice, and the MM is brilliant. Leica lent me one for a couple of weeks, and I came back from a European trip on a Monday, and on Thursday was able to show 40 or so prints to a Leica Akademie. It would have taken me a month with film I was also able to make one picture that has since paid for my own MM. As a friend of mine who has a piezography setup with 7 large printers says, you can't tell the difference in B/W any more, except the digital is better. And I resisted it for years.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I love it when people start using words like nitpicking in a discussion about words, then make bold statements like:

In the modern world the opposite of digital is analog. It's as easy as that.

Shall we leave it to the Oxford Dictionary:

analogue ... adjective

relating to or using signals or information represented by a continuously variable physical quantity such as spatial position, voltage, etc Often contrasted with digital

(of a clock or watch) showing the time by means of hands or a pointer rather than displayed digits

So, in the first sense ("Often contrasted with digital"), you are right, but in the actual definitive part of that first sense - "relating to or using signals or information represented by a continuously variable physical quantity or spatial position" the use of analogue is quite incorrect.

It is the context which is critical - the signals and information are recorded chemically, not physically or spatially.

Don't take it personally, Leica makes the same comment on the M7 page. The thing is, if you're going to take issue with the use of language, it is, by definition, nitpicking, pettifogging or just plain pedantry. That's the point about language - its beauty is its accurate use.

Hi Andy

I do envy you the time. I was on the brink of buying an R9 a few weeks ago, but I realised that I simply don't have that kind of time.

My son on the other hand - had an M6 for a 30th birthday present from us, and a lovely enlarger from his partner - he now spends most of the time in his basement!

I suppose if I stopped this camera testing lark I'd have time to settle down with an MP and an R9 like you have :rolleyes:

Time is always a problem, but I believe that since there is an alternative , digital captures, we have forgotten that we just took the time for it. Maybe not taking so much photos, but keeping a steady pace with producing. Since my M9 I notice that I do not take so much pictures with my MP, because I know that it takes times to process them. I solved this problem by only taking photos with my MP from my family and surroundings just as I always did in the past. The M9 is for the rest. The landscapes and street photography. In this way I have a good mix between " slow" photography and the digital. The printing I mostly do in the summer holidays when I have lots of time.

If faced with the OP's situation, I'd keep the M9.

That said, I just bought an M6 classic.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!