Zonal Pro EC Fixer

swamiji

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well I discovered that I had a bottle of zonal pro ec rapid fixer, in my cabinet, and wanted to find out how many times I can reuse before tossing it. But in my search I found out that the company that produces it is out of business. Argh.

Well the bottle I have is not very old, so I might as well use it. So is there anything different about Zonal pro, than most fixers? I am used to Kodak rapid fixer, and just ran out.

I guess the most important question is how many times can I reuse it?

For most film it says 1:6, which is ok, and 3 minutes time which is fine, but it says little else.

Oh, I am not working with a hardener, so that is not an issue.

You can test the condition of your fixer, amount of saturation of Silver (Ag+) ions, with a 10% KI (Potassium Iodide) solution:

10ml fixer on test + 5 drops 10% KI:

When the fixer clears it has not reached the limit of 2g/ltr. Ag+.

When the fixer turns on milky you have reached the limit of your fixer for films and PE/RC papers.

For fiber/baryta papers the archival limit should be 1 g/ltr. Ag+.

You have also Tetenal fixer test strips for this, in fact coming from the Machery-Nagel company. They have also a good pH test strips for stop bath and checking the developer buffering system.

For most Citric Acid type stop bath an indicator has been build in. pH<5,5 Yellow. When your stop bath is going over pH 5,5 it's turning to a Blue color.

Greetz,

Robert

• Like 2