Leica Representative in Malaysia

Fang

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Checked Leica web-site for dealers in Malaysia.

Called nearly all of them.

Sorry no representative in Malaysia. Call Singapore.

Sorry no stock - reason - no service from Leica Asia Pacific based in Singapore.

Privately been told that Singapore reps are arrogant and not helpful and they don't even bother to sent sales rep to see their dealers !!!

I was told - to buy the D-Lux5 or any Leica product you need to pay in full just to place the order and as for shipment date - sorry up to Singapore Leica office.

Why don't they (the dealers) keep Leica stock ? Sorry all payment in full first before Leica Singapore will deliver - they don't trust their dealers. Even for showcase stock- they have to be paid for in full.

With the lousy service we get here. I am beginning to have second thought about owning a Leica here in Malaysia.

Can anyone help !!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

1. Why not go buy in Singapore, or will you get charged import taxes?

2. Why not buy from UK/US? You will be saving on UK/US tax (in the UK you will save 20% VAT tax on the list prices), although you will have to pay for shipping by courier, which is a reliable service. You may of course have to pay import tax. You'll have to work out the end cost.

Always buy from an authorised dealer!

Thanks for your response.

There is no tax for cameras in Malaysia.

Hence that is what I have been doing. Got most of my stuff via net - Ebay as well as the BUY and SELL section here in this forum.

But what you have pointed out "Always buy from an authorised dealer" is very pertinent in my decision making. There are authorised dealers in Malaysia but they are not getting service from their so-call Leica Asia Pacific office in Singapore !

I don't travel to Singapore much but it looks like that it is my only option now - call Singapore to book the lens or other Leica stuff and go down to get it - and have a holiday as well ???

Frustrating when the local dealers can't help.

1. Why not go buy in Singapore, or will you get charged import taxes?

2. Why not buy from UK/US? You will be saving on UK/US tax (in the UK you will save 20% VAT tax on the list prices), although you will have to pay for shipping by courier, which is a reliable service. You may of course have to pay import tax. You'll have to work out the end cost.

Always buy from an authorised dealer!

When I was last in KL (March this year), I revisited S'pore as a day trip via Air Asia so it's quite possible to do some focused shopping!

I agree it's frustrating when one gets that attitude - why not complain to Solms Customer Service?

Buying new means you get full warranty which you may not get with a pre-owned item.

Thanks Brian. Don't want this thread to be a dialogue between both of us. (will PM you privately)

This problem occurred when Leica cancelled the main distributorship from Schmit Marketing in the Far East and have not replace them with a reputable main distributor and they are trying to do that (Leica) themselves.

Have been reading your involvement in AICR ? Great job. I am also active in such social work.

Kudos to all those involved and great effort in using this forum for Cancer Research.

Reportedly Leica Singapore is imposing difficult trading conditions on dealers, eg. No credit terms, all orders must be paid in full, hence the dealer asking you for full payment in advance. I was in Bangkok recently and heard the same complaint from dealers there.

Regarding buying from overseas, many of my friends ordered their M9s from overseas and one has just ordered their M9p from the UK. In my circle of M users I doubt anyone would buy a new Leica product locally.

I sent an email to two of the people in Leica Singapore recently regarding sending a camera to Solms for service and haven't heard back after a week. This will be escalated to Solms very soon.

Edited by Nick_Yoon

The problem is that there are many fraud cases in Malaysia. Credit card fraud, mail fraud. As such if I were LEICA I would demand full payment from Malaysia as well. Hope u understand.

We are talking abt established Leica dealers here, not individual buyers, who are being asked by Leica for full upfront payment for their shipments.

Fang,

I have bought (practically) all my camera gear at Cathay Photo:

Cathay Photo | Sharply focused on meeting your needs...

I have been buying at the Marina Bay outlet and made business with a salesman named Sam Jeva. Norwegian expats recommended him because he has this European style of doing business: No aggressive pushing/haggling, but you still get a decent 'street price'.

Marina Square

6 Raffles Boulevard #02-215 to 216 Marina Square, Singapore 039594

Tel: (65) 6339 6188

Fax: (65) 6338 1746

Sam Jeva is a very nice guy. He is also the salesman that sells Leica gear to the Indonesian ex president Basharuddin Jusuf Habibi (this guy: Bacharuddin Jusuf Habibie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) who is a well known 'Leica enthusiast'.

Strongly recommended.

Leica also has a new Leica shop in the small shopping mall in the Raffles Hotel, but I have never been there or traded anything with them. I feel I have no deed to as long as I get the service and just as competitive a price through Cathay Photo/Sam Jeva.

I'm not familiar with Leica dealers working with the factory, but with other electronics mfg companies I have worked with it was not unusual to receive full payment before dealer orders left the warehouse, especially for international shipments. Is this not so for camera (specifically Leica) dealers? In our case dealers were expected to have their own lines of credit. They could return or exchange unsold inventory within a certain period of time.

I'm pretty sure that Apple dealers in mainland China (as opposed to the Apple factory stores in Shanghai and Beijing) are prepaying for all of their inventory. After the wire is received the shipment goes out.

We are talking abt established Leica dealers here, not individual buyers, who are being asked by Leica for full upfront payment for their shipments.

I was in Singapore last year. Then they did not have a M9 for sale at Cathay Photo. They were sold out and had a waiting list.

Then I was also in Singapore in April this year. Then Cathay had both black and gray M9 versions in stock. They lacked the 21 mm 1,4 and the new Noctilux 50 mm 0,95 - both of which they were reluctant to have in stock, due to the cost. But they could get me one within a few weeks, they claimed. But had a failry large stock of the other lenses. That was at the Marina Bay outlet.

Leica also has a new Leica shop in the small shopping mall in the Raffles Hotel, but I have never been there or traded anything with them. I feel I have no deed to as long as I get the service and just as competitive a price through Cathay Photo/Sam Jeva.

It's a really beautiful store, with an attached gallery and a very friendly and helpful staff. Decent stock, but of course don't expect discounted pricing.

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with Leica dealers working with the factory, but with other electronics mfg companies I have worked with it was not unusual to receive full payment before dealer orders left the warehouse, especially for international shipments. Is this not so for camera (specifically Leica) dealers? In our case dealers were expected to have their own lines of credit. They could return or exchange unsold inventory within a certain period of time.

I'm pretty sure that Apple dealers in mainland China (as opposed to the Apple factory stores in Shanghai and Beijing) are prepaying for all of their inventory. After the wire is received the shipment goes out.

I am of the same opinion: The camera dealers must pay up front and get a cash rebate, or cash against documents, as you are describing. But there has been a recession. Dealers in these tax free outlets like Abu Dabi, Hong Kong, Singapore etc are dependant on tourists/buyers from countries with high VAT. Like myself.

But international tourism is just about to pick up after the 2009/2010 financial melt down recession. What is also typical is that Malaysia, along with the other Tiger Economies haven't experienced 'our' crisis to the same extent. If at all. More consumers in Malaysia & Far East Asia now have a purchasing power that is comparable with Western Europe, USA and Japan - and well that.

Of which this post is typical....

Edited by Olsen

Previously there was a regional distributor, Schmidt Marketing, that provided credit terms to dealers. Now Leica has setup an Asia Pacific office in Singapore and taken over the distribution for Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Indonesia, and not providing credit so the dealers are all upset.

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

I believe there are as many fraud cases in the States and other countries as well.

I personally lost a substantial amount of money buying an expensive watch from the States through fraud there - money sent via TT. Hence, I alway pay via Paypal when buying in the web.

But as Nick says earlier we are talking about dealers.

The problem is that there are many fraud cases in Malaysia. Credit card fraud, mail fraud. As such if I were LEICA I would demand full payment from Malaysia as well. Hope u understand.

Thanks Olsen. Will definitely look them up when I am in Singapore.

Just spoke to a friend who is Tax Director in one of the big 4 accounting firm who reminded me to get the 7% sales tax rebate for such big purchase in Singapore.

Fang,

I have bought (practically) all my camera gear at Cathay Photo:

Cathay Photo | Sharply focused on meeting your needs...

I have been buying at the Marina Bay outlet and made business with a salesman named Sam Jeva. Norwegian expats recommended him because he has this European style of doing business: No aggressive pushing/haggling, but you still get a decent 'street price'.

Marina Square

6 Raffles Boulevard #02-215 to 216 Marina Square, Singapore 039594

Tel: (65) 6339 6188

Fax: (65) 6338 1746

Sam Jeva is a very nice guy. He is also the salesman that sells Leica gear to the Indonesian ex president Basharuddin Jusuf Habibi (this guy: Bacharuddin Jusuf Habibie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) who is a well known 'Leica enthusiast'.

Strongly recommended.

Hi Mark,

I believe there are as many fraud cases in the States and other countries as well.

I personally lost a substantial amount of money buying an expensive watch from the States through fraud there - money sent via TT. Hence, I alway pay via Paypal when buying in the web.

But as Nick says earlier we are talking about dealers.

Whether dealers or not it does not make much of a difference. Dealers do not pay on time as well. In fact customers pay immediately. I was in Kuala Lumpur and my credit card was fradulently used.

Sorry Mark to hear about your mishap in Kuala Lumpur.

Kuala Lumpur is a relatively safe place to shop and travel.

Whether dealers or not it does not make much of a difference. Dealers do not pay on time as well. In fact customers pay immediately. I was in Kuala Lumpur and my credit card was fradulently used.
  • Like 1

Dealers not paying on time is not credit card fraud. It seems your one bad experience has led you to irrelevantly vent in this thread which is about the failings in Leica representation in Malaysia. Give it a rest.

• Like 1

Thanks Olsen. Will definitely look them up when I am in Singapore.

Just spoke to a friend who is Tax Director in one of the big 4 accounting firm who reminded me to get the 7% sales tax rebate for such big purchase in Singapore.

That is indeed what I do too. Most of my camera equipment shopping in Singapore, which I visit a couple of times a year. Here in Norway VAT/sales tax i 20%..! Sam Jeva will help you out with the receipts and documents you need to get a sales tax refund.

This is very easy in Singapore. You usually don't have to show the gear to the customs. Just the receipt documents. You then get a voucher of 5 - 6% off the price and can cash the money at the nearest currency exchange at the airport. They deduct a fixed handling fee, though.

I have recommended Sam Jeva to a lot of people here in Norway. This has always turned out as success. Like when I recommended him to the daughter of our neighbour. She was going to Australia to study. She turned up at Cathay Photo, Marina Square with a buss load of girlfriends - asking for Sam Jeva. Sam, she told me, was touched to tears that he had been recommended....

If you go there, say hello to Sam, from Mr Olsen in Norway!