LR and the M9 Sharpening

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It seems that each system (M9,S2,D3X) benefits from a different preset for raw processing . With the M9 I ve always used the LR landscape preset which is 40,0.7,50,0 and found that reducing the radius to 0.5 works if you are at 160 or 320 ISO . I also set clarity at +20 and adjust curves +10 Light -10 Dark . I often set the black point at 3 verse the standard 5 .

With the S2 files I find I can benefit from going stronger on these settings . Same for the D3X which really picks up with clarity over 50 .

Diglloyd just published similar settings in his review of the 50 summicron.

Have you found a good set of settings for the M9 and LR that give you a nice starting point?

Short:

20-25 amount, diameter 0.5, detail 100.

no nr.

if i want to make a big print, then sharpening to zero in Lr and sharpen after interpolation- then some grain to sharpen.

clarity slider is inferior to one in C1, and M8/9 files have enough clarity due to absence of low pass filter.

IMHO.

regards,

M

Have you found a good set of settings for the M9 and LR that give you a nice starting point?

Ya... ZERO sharpening and noise reduction in lightroom.

I'd rather use nick software in photoshop.

I was very impressed by the book by Schewe and Fraser "Real World Sharpening" It was an eyeopener. it taught me there is no one size fits all sharpening. And, btw, that the radius slider is related to the frequency range of the image content, not to the ISOsetting.

Edit: I see now Marco has posted an interesting link:

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/lightroom-sharpening.html

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 2