Fontenelle archives 41 . the GePe semi-automatic slide changer for Prado 250 and 500

Pecole

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is not a pure Leitz item, but one of these numerous products developed to meet Leitz-Leica users' requirements or wishes. I personally used a Prado 500 for many years, bvefore switching to Pradovit Color Autofocus in 1974. After first experiencing the boring SLUUZ system of putting in place and removing slide by slide, I was offered by a Leica dealer the then new semi-automatic system specifically developed by GePe for the Prado.

Five minutes of test convinced me, and I bought it with two (first) dozens of GePe trays.

Let's give a succinct description of this system I used for more than 20 years.

The changer consists of a long lateral support for the tray, attached to a front plate - quite similar to a SLUUZ - which slides in place in front of the Prado condenser. But this front plate extends through the lateral support in the form of a sliding slide-catch-and-arm actuated by a knob, and this knob itself rotates and actuates a dented wheel engaging one similarly dented edge of the tray. The tray, which is mounted sideways on the support, has an opening in its bottom, so as to allow phe passage of the slide-catch-and-arm.

All what you have to do is to push the knob to locate a slide in front of the lens, then pull the knob to bring the slide back in the tray, turn the knob to the right to advance the tray one step, push it again to engage the next slide etc..The movement takes 1 to 1.5 second, and I made once a test where I was able to pass all 30 slides of a standard tray in exactly 52 seconds.

Last details : the GePe changer was offered with a paint finish matching exactly the Prado's one, and the special trays display a numbering of the slides to facilitate the selection. Only restriction : the system - if extremely robust and reliable - works perfectly with plastic-and-glass slide frames, but is more delicate to operate with thinner cardboard framed slides.

Five photos will better illustrate the system .

1.The GePe semi-automatic slide changer for Prado 250 and 500, with its actuating arm/knod extended

2. The slide changer mounted on the Prado 500

3. The special GePe slide tray, showing the numbering of the slides on one edge (here at the top), the opening in the bottom and the dented edge (at the bottom) allowing the advance

4. The slide changer with the tray and one slide pushed in place

5. The changer's advance knob, and the arm pushed back to position the selected slide.