Film Developing in London

jrl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is there anywhere left in London where I can get a film developed into resanable sized prints?

DON'T say Jessups, as there print quality is appaling, and they only do small prints. I can't find anywhere that will do nice 10x8 prints. I can only get either contact sheets (no good to me at all) or small holiday snap quality prints.

It's really looking like I brought an M3 at the wrong time. If I can't find somewhere soon I'll have to give up taking photos.

Metro Imaging are excellent, but they are not cheap

http://www.metroimaging.co.uk/prices/C41_prices.asp

http://www.metroimaging.co.uk/prices/B&W_prices.asp

I think they only do the minilab up to 4x6 (5x7 if colour) from 35mm, so if you want anything bigger, you'll have to go for individual prints by hand. On the plus side, though, you will then be able to speak to the printer in person, and agree with him/her exactly how you want your finished print to look. They will do proofs for you to assess, if a print looks like it will be tricky, and if you need advice on paper types, burning, dodging or cropping, they can help.

I cannot recommend Metro highly enough if you are looking for exhibition or framing quality prints. I have just taken delivery of a batch of 12x8 enlargements they did for me from b&w 35mm negs, and they look great.

In terms of a less expensive high street process and print package, though, I'm not sure what you'll find. The various chains/franchises seem to be hit and miss. I have had consistently good C41 results from the Leadenhall Market Snappy Snaps, but haven't tried them with b&w or slide film.

When I first got my M6, I used to send my b&w films away for processing and printing via RG Lewis in Holborn - good results, but it takes 5 days.

best

Ade

Have you tried Snappy Snaps? Particularly (I think) the one in Covent Garden - it's near Central St. Martins and all the photography students go there, so they might take a bit more of an interest.

In general I've found Snappy Snaps to way better than the likes of Jessops and Boots. Massive difference. Probably not up to Metro imaging standards but still.

Failing that, and if Metro is no good, maybe Sky Photographic round the corner on Ramilies Place?

I'd second Snappy Snaps. The one in Leadenhall Market is particularly good. I'm not sure about prices etc., but they're not a pro lab of course so will be less than Metro/Sky but the quality is generally very good.

There is also a mail order co called Lab35 who I'm sure offer packages on dev/print to larger sizes.

I know you were specifically looking for a London firm, but if that fails, I have been getting consistently good and speedy results from Peak Imaging, which is a mail order service but does seem to be top notch. Apologies if you are already aware of this company :-)

http://www.peak-imaging.co.uk/

All the best,

Dan

Snappy Snaps are a franchise and you could find some better than others ? but I have to say that all the ones I have used, have been good, especially the Wardour St branch, between Piccadilly Circus and Oxford St .

Good Luck

Bruno

Sebastian used to recommend this lab as well. http://www.genesis-digital.net/pages/fs_service.html Not cheap, but what in London IS?! :)

Fulham is probably a half hour bus ride at least from the West End and is not well served by the Tube. Whether it is "London" enough, one can't tell.

London's not that expensive compared with most large cities. ;)

Genesis have a sister lab - Primary Colour - just north of the City (KIngsland Road). Might be more convenient than Fulham. According to their website they do a 10x8 process/print package for just over 30 quid a roll.