.85 vf MP Flare prone?

RAN

I had a 0.85 MP for a while and have replaced it with a 0.85 M6 as I use the body rarely and needed the cash.

The MP finder is almost immune to flare, unlike the M6 finder of this mag. There is a big difference.

The 0.85 MP is much more immune to flare than the 0.72 M6 (which is a lot better than the 0.85 M6 in this regard).

I have an 0.85 M6 Classic and two 0.85 M7's.

All exhibited flare at various times compared to my 1964 M3.

The M7's have just arrived back from Solms where the optical reader was installed in both. While there, I had both changed to MP finders. For the life of me I can't discern any difference from the M6 so far but I have had them back less than a week so after I get some more usage, I will be able to to report.

The newer M7's come with upgraded finder and are so marked on the box. That's about the best you can do. I don't believe the current MP production changed the finder in the production run.

My advise it not to worry and purchase the best example at the best price you can. Even with flare at times, the camera will still take pictures. The flare is not constant and only exhibits itself in certain situations and a little movment of the camera usually eliminates the flare. If both M7's had not experienced failures of the mechanical reader at the same time, I would never have had the finders upgraded even though one was still under warrenty and free.-Dick

I have 3 MPs, one of which is a 0.85. It is no more flare-prone than the 0.72 MPs.

My M6, which I ended up selling last summer along with a current version 50 Summicron, was dramatically more flare-prone and harder to focus than my MPs (the Summicron was also flare-prone).

YMMV

I have 3 MPs, one of which is a 0.85. It is no more flare-prone than the 0.72 MPs.

My M6, which I ended up selling last summer along with a current version 50 Summicron, was dramatically more flare-prone and harder to focus than my MPs (the Summicron was also flare-prone).

YMMV

Hi JBA

Did you use a hood on the cron?

Noel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi JBA

Did you use a hood on the cron?

Noel

Yes, but the built-in hood is basically just for argument's sake and it doesn't even lock. Shoot in strong backlighting or point it to within a few degrees of the sun and it flares, at least in my experience. Otherwise it performed beautifully. I just happen to vastly prefer my 50 'Lux ver. 2 and didn't need 2 50s.