35mm lux or cron?

Peter H

Advertisement (gone after registration)

+1 for the Lux:

Had the 'cron asph for nearly 2+ years as my go-to lens on the M8, and it certainly cannot be faulted. However, if you are looking for the special Leica look (a bit older school, more aberrations, yada yada), the lux asph gives that je ne sais quoi to your images...hard to define, easy to see. The 'cron is spectacular, clinical, in the same family of looks as the 24 elmarit and 75 apo cron. The 35 lux falls more into the 24 lux, 75 lux look...hard to define, softer, yet full of character...

The lux is larger, but with hood, they are not all that different. I'd get the lux apsh any day, even if the new one is coming (The current one is outstanding, my fav)

Have you considered the 35 summarit? It is a great lens with a lot of classic Leica character, it is small and has great bokeh. I went with the 35 cron ASPH because I got a great deal, but if I were just purchasing, I would strongly consider the summarit. It is only a half a stop slower with a lot of character

the lux asph gives that je ne sais quoi to your images...hard to define, easy to see. The 'cron is spectacular, clinical, in the same family of looks as the 24 elmarit and 75 apo cron. The 35 lux falls more into the 24 lux, 75 lux look...hard to define, softer, yet full of character...

I fully second that.

Apart of that, the differences are 1cm in length, 65 grams and €500 on the used market.

If the rendering you are after is in the Luxes category, these small trade-offs should not detain you from getting the 35 Lux.

Always surprises me when Leica users describe the certain lenses as "heavy" or "large" when talking to someone who is currently using a Nikon D700 system. I picked up a D700 when it came out and immediately put it back down on the counter and never gave it another thought. It's a tank to carry around. Either 35mm M lens would work fine. I had the cron asph when it came out but immediately suffered from a "need" for the f1.4 Lux. If you thnk that you can avoid the irristable desire to "upgrade" to a better lens, then get the 35mm Lux if you can find one. Undoubtedly, you'll be tempted to get the new version of this lens when it comes out, but the $4,000-$5,000 price tag will quickly discourage that idea.

I picked up a D700 when it came out and immediately put it back down on the counter and never gave it another thought. It's a tank to carry around. .

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies.

(Oddly enough I went from a D2X to the D700, so one of the things I appreciate about it is its small size! However, having used Ms before, I do understand that these things are relative.)

What I'm not so sure about, and why I asked the question that started this thread, is whether the lux is and upgrade re the cron, as you imply. (Unless you mean upgrade to the new lux if/when it appears?)

I know the conventional position with the large manufacturers is that the faster version of a lens are also the better constructed, better corrected versions, considered "Pro" lenses while the slower ones are "consumer" lenses. (As though pros aren't consumers!)

However, I understood that as in so many other things, Leica was different here, and speed differences are just that: they are not signifiers of quality grading. Though of course their characters will differ. Am I wrong?

Peter H

Edited by Peter H
Constant striving for that elusive state of perfection!

However, I understood that as in so many other things, Leica was different here, and speed differences are just that: they are not signifiers of quality grading. Though of course their characters will differ. Am I wrong?

Peter H

You are not wrong. Take for example the 24mm Elmarit. One of the best built lens with stunning imagery. Yet, it is "only" a F2.8 lens.

I know the conventional position with the large manufacturers is that the faster version of a lens are also the better constructed, better corrected versions, considered "Pro" lenses while the slower ones are "consumer" lenses. (As though pros aren't consumers!)

However, I understood that as in so many other things, Leica was different here, and speed differences are just that: they are not signifiers of quality grading. Though of course their characters will differ. Am I wrong? ...

This is correct in my experience. Slower Leica lenses seem to have the same build quality and similar optical quality to the faster lenses.

I can't speak for others, but I personally am not claiming that the 35 'Lux is a better lens than the 35 'Cron. It just has a different look that I find more pleasing. And an extra stop of light, though as I said this is less of an issue with digital.

The suggestion to check out the 35 summarit is a good one if you don't need the large aperture but want a more 'classic' leica look in a smaller package.

You're right, all of these lenses are small compared to anything that fits a D700!

• 3 years later...
So I guess that will be the one I will get if I order a new one??

yes, Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 Asph. fle (though the fle part is going to be omitted). very worth the upgrade, i made my upgrade and am very satisfied. the only thing i missed from the cron is the weight and size.

So I guess that will be the one I will get if I order a new one?

Yes, sure you will. Back when this thread was started, the previous model had just been discontinued and the new (now current) model was not yet available. The first ones were delivered in, uh, June or July, 2010.

The current model (w/ floating elements) and the previous one (w/o floating elements) look pretty much similar to each other, and both share the very same name, Leica Summilux-M 35 mm 1:1.4 Asph. There's no visible hint to the presence of the floating elements whatsoever. So to tell the two Asph versions apart, look at the hoods and the distance scales. The older model has a big plastic snap-on hood, and the largest numbers on the distance scale, just short of the infinity symbol, are 10 m/30 ft. The current model has a modern metal screw-in hood, and the largest numbers on the distance scale are 7 m/15 ft.

By the way, when for a 35 mm lens you don't want a Summilux due to cost, weight, or bulk then I'd prefer the Summarit over the Summicron due to being less prone to flare in backlight situations.

Choosing between the latest Cron and Lux FLE is not easy. The Summicron already is an outstanding lens. The Summilux is even sharper and more contrasty. If it is the size that matters - the latter may be a little larger, but IMO not so much that it would matter.

I did a little comparison with images of the two lenses side by side and some basic sample shots on my site. Nothing too technical. This is a link to the lens review:

Lens Review: Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH FLE | Lupico

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
Choosing between the latest Cron and Lux FLE is not easy. The Summicron already is an outstanding lens. The Summilux is even sharper and more contrasty. If it is the size that matters - the latter may be a little larger, but IMO not so much that it would matter.

I did a little comparison with images of the two lenses side by side and some basic sample shots on my site. Nothing too technical. This is a link to the lens review:

Lens Review: Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH FLE | Lupico

I don't worry about he size, my favorite lens is my 21mm lux