Id like to see M8 vs 1Ds 2

okram

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I´m serious about buying one. I don´t care about "issues", there is none for me.

One needs to accept drawbacks of any camera.

The drawback on my 1Ds 2 is weight and size, but I live with it.

It also crashes, most of the lenses cant keep up to its sensor, and shootin whole day with a 70-200/2,8 takes big strong hands.

So I will take M8 for patching up flaws of Canon and viceversa.I think it is logical.

Can anybody make some comparable shots with M8 and 1Ds2, and post some 100% crops?

Nothing fancy, just to see...somehow an image from Canon is what I can compare from, because I use it all day.

Please, if anybody will bother.

Thank you all.

Hi,

I´m serious about buying one. I don´t care about "issues", there is none for me.

One needs to accept drawbacks of any camera.

The drawback on my 1Ds 2 is weight and size, but I live with it.

It also crashes, most of the lenses cant keep up to its sensor, and shootin whole day with a 70-200/2,8 takes big strong hands.

So I will take M8 for patching up flaws of Canon and viceversa.I think it is logical.

Can anybody make some comparable shots with M8 and 1Ds2, and post some 100% crops?

Nothing fancy, just to see...somehow an image from Canon is what I can compare from, because I use it all day.

Please, if anybody will bother.

Thank you all.

I have both 1Ds MK2 and M8, with 1DS MK2 ran thru may be over 30,000 shots and M8 at about 1,300 shots in 10 days. Honestly the 2 cameras cannot compare with each other becuase each has different way of shooting. Where M8 shines may be Canon fell short and vice versa.

Asked if M8 is a good camera, I have no doubt it is. Test shot of the two will be quite useless from my point of view, because most likely 1 or 2 picture at close comparison cannot tell the story. With camera at hand, you end up having different picture from M8, or 1Ds MK2, so even one can settle for few captures and compare result, it will hardly be very usefull in real work.

For just the resolution and noise control, M8 is not equal to 1Ds MK2, but consider very close for such size of sensor. But M8 is clearly carried its original concept - small format, large print. I have many picutres took by M8 and posted here;

And most of the rest of pictures I posted on FlickR were from Canon 1Ds MK2, with some by Contax 645 with either P25 or P45. I can't quite get M8 to get those pictures I got from 1Ds MK2 but I suspect if I can get those M8 pictures from 1Ds MK2 either. My best advise is that if you can afford one, go get it and most likely you will love the quality.

Thank You.

I guess one should see some prints.

Some of the work I doo lately is some figures of man composed very small at the photograph.

Something like the paysage with a figure.(see sample)

Since the details (face, hands..) are important to me

(I also have to make relatively large print 50x75 cm).

My Canon barely holds it (85/1,2 L), but sufficent.

I have a feeling that Leica, allthough smaller sesor/resolution, from what I have seen, could be

very up to it.

No doubt I´ll take one, I just wanted to see...but You are right.

I guess I should see some prints.

I shoot Canon 1-series (1DsMkII and 1DMkII) for all my action (polo and equestrian) stuff, where the M8 just cannot do the higher frames per second or manage the really high ISO to get fast enough shutter speeds. On the flip side, the M8 excels for almost all wide angle and more descrete shooting. I take the M8 everywhere now, but the Canons onlly come out for event shooting and telephoto stuff where they are the best. As Guy said, they are really different kinds of tools. Each has its strengths. For the portrait and close in stuff you are talking about, I think both can do the job excellently. The Canons can also be used as a doorstop if needed, while the M8 may not ;-)

LJ

Guest guy_mancuso
I shoot Canon 1-series (1DsMkII and 1DMkII) for all my action (polo and equestrian) stuff, where the M8 just cannot do the higher frames per second or manage the really high ISO to get fast enough shutter speeds. On the flip side, the M8 excels for almost all wide angle and more descrete shooting. I take the M8 everywhere now, but the Canons onlly come out for event shooting and telephoto stuff where they are the best. As Guy said, they are really different kinds of tools. Each has its strengths. For the portrait and close in stuff you are talking about, I think both can do the job excellently. The Canons can also be used as a doorstop if needed, while the M8 may not ;-)

LJ

Well said LJ and reason i have the DMR and the M8 is than I can do almost anything that comes at me.

LJ

By the way,

lately I have been shooting some stuff that needed high frame rate. It occured to me that my 1DS2 takes its buffering time too long sometimes.(Extreme III...)

These 20 secs or something can be (was, actually) very expensive.

Time to see preview is also too long.

Marko,

I agree that the 1DsMkII is not the speediest on the buffer, but those are pretty darn big files to be moving anyway. (I only shoot RAW, as I can get a JPEG if I need it, but hate the wasted space and time to write both to the CF cards.) The 1DMkII has a much higher frame rate and even with long bursts, it is hard to fill the buffer. Usually, I am not even thinking about looking at the LCD. I figure with a DSLR, if you can see it on the viewfinder while shooting, you have missed the shot.

That brings up one other point....the M8 is so much more initimate in the studio or for portrait shooting. The DSLR will give you exact framing, but the less aggressive and personal feel of the M8 is tough to be when shooting portraits, I think. I love the personal feel if provides, and the images are stunning. If you get your exposure right, you can print them almost as big as you dream. The 1DsMkII gives a bit more leeway there for cropping, if needed, but image quality is pretty darn close between them. The M8 files are just so much sharper to start, that it is wonderful to work with them. Just my experience here.

LJ

Marko,

I agree that the 1DsMkII is not the speediest on the buffer, but those are pretty darn big files to be moving anyway. (I only shoot RAW, as I can get a JPEG if I need it, but hate the wasted space and time to write both to the CF cards.) The 1DMkII has a much higher frame rate and even with long bursts, it is hard to fill the buffer. Usually, I am not even thinking about looking at the LCD. I figure with a DSLR, if you can see it on the viewfinder while shooting, you have missed the shot.

That brings up one other point....the M8 is so much more initimate in the studio or for portrait shooting. The DSLR will give you exact framing, but the less aggressive and personal feel of the M8 is tough to be when shooting portraits, I think. I love the personal feel if provides, and the images are stunning. If you get your exposure right, you can print them almost as big as you dream. The 1DsMkII gives a bit more leeway there for cropping, if needed, but image quality is pretty darn close between them. The M8 files are just so much sharper to start, that it is wonderful to work with them. Just my experience here.

LJ

The part about intimacy is very correct.

I`ve had several "complaints" by the people I took portraits of.

Ussually they say: jesus what a big scary black camera! Then I smile and dissapear behind to peak at them.

The preview time, as I noticed, is longer if I leave the auto display on, but the buffer can be still emptiyng the same time. Maybe not sure... Its true, one should allways use the lcd as little as possible. Its a kind of a desease, i cant help it.

Years wih diapositives and polaroid...what a hard times it was.

I forgot to mention, one of my favourite cameras was Mamiya M7, wich I had to sell

for I needed money to buy Hasselblad.

What a camera that was! Small (smaller than my canon), light, fast ,beautifull rangefinder.. SHARP..

So I expected digital M for a long time...

Different style of shooting all together for Canon DSLR vs M8 as well. For sports Canon will win hands down and everything else belonged to M8. I personally don't like the Canon "look" even with Leica R lenses mounted on. Leica pics are much more interesting and natural to look at. May be it's just me.

Marko--

I shot a 1ds2 pretty much exclusively from the time it was available in Canada till just last month. At one point, I had two of them.

For high resolution, high dynamic range in low light (high ISO) you can't beat the1ds2. I don't like it's texture all the time, and colour is often a matter of RAW converter (always is), but properly profiled and converted the 1ds2 was years ahead of anything I'd seen when I picked it up.

Now I have a DMR as a dSLR, mainly because I just didn't like Canon wides (for correction, not sharpness) and because I found myself bolting more and more non-Canon lenses on the 1ds2 body. More and more of those became Leica lenses ;)

Of course, Guy's Leica mania is catching; I remember emailing him about something and mentioning all my R glass and he said something like "you're crazy not to have a DMR..."

So by the time I bought my r9 DMR I had sold all my Canon lenses except the excellent 85 1.2L and the 70-200 2,8 L IS... which I now use on a 5D (my backup dSLR--also good at high ISOs).

The M8's files--so far--are equal in printing to the 1ds2, though resolution-wise the 1ds2 is a bit more flexible.

The look of the M8 as far as colour goes still needs some work. But for detail--and wide-angle-ness, and (as people have mentioned) portability it's a true gem. The fact that I'm comparing it with a camera worth twice as much (well, it was when I bought mine!) is saying something, too.

So if the issues aren't issues for you--and you want to shoot wider instead of longer, and you don't mind being a wee bit slower on RAW files--you will like the M8 *a lot* in my opinion!

Well, nice crowd out there.(lots of nice advices in few hours and lots of good energy)

Two things more (when we are here..) that im thinking about.

I want two lenses (exactly those-lots of reasons, dont ask why)

50/1.4 (most of the time) and 21/2.8

Ussualy my favourite is 85/1.2 L and no other. The 21 is for sometimes...

It seems that I will need 1.25 magnifier for 50 and WA wiever, each for its lens.

How is it to work with it (both)?

Guest guy_mancuso

Marko with the magnifier on I can use from 28mm to 90 comfortable . i can squeeze the 24mm but without eye glasses. The 21mm you could use the enitire frame but won't be as accurate and you will get extrra . I use a 28mm external finder for the 21mm. So maybe you may like having like the 21,28,50,90 or some have gone the 24,35,75. Now i am the worst person to ask because i have them all( almost). LOL 15,21,28,35,50,75 and the 90 but I'm a sucker for leica glass. LOL