S2 as a vacation point'n'shoot (gallery)

tashley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On the 28mm, I guess I agree a bit with each of you; Tim, from what others have commented, the (M) 28mm REALLY pushes the limit of the 645 format and has had some copy variability issues.

That's certainly true Victor: the first one I had was very poor at wide to moderate apertures and I posted several examples, mostly to be told that it was par for the course but I returned it and after experimentation got one that I believe is about as good as they get but they are (as you say) really stretched to full 645 format from what I hear.

BTW, I am happy to see some real discussion of the S2, esp from two people who have tested it! (Tim, Guy, thanks for sharing... But I must say, after being sold by Guy some years ago on the DMR NO regrets, and David Farkas on the M8, I am on the fence with the S2. Maybe Tim, you will be my "S2 Hero".)

best regards

Victor

Too much responsibility Victor! But thanks! Do you currently shoot with another MF system?

Best

Tim

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tim, I want to thank your for posting your experience with the S2. As far as I can tell, you are the main person who regularly posts about their experience with the S2. I know there are several new S2 owners in the US now, but none seem to regular posters on the forums or don't have enough experience with the camera to post about it.

1000% agreement

Tim's contributions are among the highlights of this forum.

Thank you both very much for that - I have had some brickbats both publicly and notably one by PM that had me wondering if I should ever have made the decision to report everything here so I am extremely grateful to see your comments!

As far as I'm concerned, it's really been a two way street though: these systems are complex and having other brains and eyes to help work them through is invaluable so hopefully we all (OK, most of us?!) win. For example, as a result of Hans' spotting the 'fold in the frond' back on page one, I now have a brand new S2... for now at least!

Best

Tim

Hi Guy

I hope you're well -

I've only spent an hour or so with an S2, and don't use other MF gear, so I have no worthwhile opinion about it's qualities. However, I do know Tim extremely well from numerous forums over several years. The idea that he would be 'defending' gear is completely and patently ludicrous.

He got immense stick on the GedDPI forum criticising various pieces of kit, in every case I've seen he turned out to be right about the problem. It was always others who turned out to be mistaken (you might criticise him for being too rigorous . . . some people certainly have).

He almost singlehandedly got the internet community to accept that the 35mm summilux asph suffered from serious focus shift, against the furious screams of almost all other owners.

He hasn't sold his other MF gear, so he isn't in some kind of financial bind to qualify his purchase of an S2.

He has, for years, been testing rigorously and biting the heels of manufacturers when kit does not do what it says 'on the tin'. Leica have been at the receiving end of this as much as others.

The idea that he would suddenly 'go soft' on the S2 seems to me to be pretty bizarre.

Right - Now I'll go back to the M9 forum and getDPI . . . see ya there :)

Jono, I very much appreciate your robust defence of me. I made every effort to respond evenly to a number of posts recently but in truth some of them did feel rather blunt.

Your main point is something I am extremely pleased to have had someone else make very explicit though: there has indeed been an implication that I am somehow defending the S2 beyond what it deserves.

I have absolutely no reason to do so. I could have returned it for a full cash refund at any point and I did not - so the 'buyer's remorse' argument is out of the window. I am not on a retainer or deal or whatever from Leica as some sort of 'undercover ambassador' (you'd more likely see Blair hiring Clare Short) and as you rightly point out I have been (and in the case of their crap M9 firmware when it comes to Red Stripe) aggressively critical of them over a number of issues. In fact I think they were rather brave to sell me an S2 so early - if they have any joined up thinking they would know that I would a) likely find any faults and B) likely be public about them.

I have no desire to rubbish one camera or puff another, I merely speak as I find, and I hope that those who themselves like to speak bluntly are willing to accept that as the quid pro quo!

Thanks again Jono.

Tim

Edited by tashley

Guest guy_mancuso

Guess you can't ask a honest question anymore without feeling it is a blunt one. Sorry guy's God forbid I ask a very simple question about the validity of the S2 and any of it's merits or not. Oh wait I remember actually testing this thing. :D

Have fun Tim. :) Not worth the arguement

Edited by guy_mancuso

Hi There Guy

Guess you can't ask a honest question anymore without feeling it is a blunt one. Sorry guy's God forbid I ask a very simple question about the validity of the S2 and any of it's merits or not.

Oh wait I remember actually testing this thing. :D

Have fun Tim. :) Not worth the arguement

Well, actually, as far as I could see it you were questioning Tim's honesty (or at least his objectivity) in his remarks about the S2, and not asking a question about the S2's validity at all, or (in that post) discussing it's merits (or not).

I just thought it fair to point out that Tim has been very critical of LOTS of kit, not least that from Leica, and that accusing him publicly of 'being in love' seemed to me to be pretty much out of bounds.

Shouldn't the discussions hinge around the kit, and not around apparent attempts to discredit the reporter? . .. but perhaps Guy that isn't what you meant?

all the best

Guest guy_mancuso

Jono not up for discussion. Hope you understand, I have a much different impression than what is being laid out. Simple as that and I question everything that is my nature. :)

BTW Tim actually answered the only real question I asked that is even remotely close to the words "objectivity". Honestly I think you may have overreacted don't ya think looking back at it.

Originally Posted by guy_mancuso

Tim honestly I know you like your S2 as you should it is what is making you happy but have to say sounds like your defending it as well.

Tim

Yes I am defending it. It's a very good camera indeed and I have used it more than most people so, despite having less general experience than many people, I'm still in at least a reasonable position to do so!

Anyway I have a week from hell coming and seriously we are way off topic, I honestly don't have the energy to argue this week. Maybe next week we can have some more fun. LOL

Edited by guy_mancuso

Anyway I have a week from hell coming and seriously we are way off topic, I honestly don't have the energy to argue this week. Maybe next week we can have some more fun. LOL

Hi Guy

Let's leave it there - with a heartfelt wish that your week from hell just turns out to be a nasty memory which is quickly and happily over.

Edited by jonoslack