Strange sound when recording video on the M

matlep

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I get a strange sound when recording video on the M. It is not noticeable when outside for example, but when indoors and in a more quiet setting it is clearly hearable.

Is sounds a bit like a printer printing. Anyone else getting this?

I made a short recording here: Leica M Recording sound - YouTube

Is it supposed to be like this?

I mentioned it in a post 4-5 months ago. It has mainly gone unnoticed by most. I have reported it to Leica and they know of the issue in my camera. I have now sent them your link so they can see it is not just an isolated incident. I have heard it in other M cameras as well. I believe it to be common to the M and missed by Leica. Good news: They have been responsive and interested in my report.

Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

I mentioned it in a post 4-5 months ago. It has mainly gone unnoticed by most. I have reported it to Leica and they know of the issue in my camera. I have now sent them your link so they can see it is not just an isolated incident. I have heard it in other M cameras as well. I believe it to be common to the M and missed by Leica. Good news: They have been responsive and interested in my report.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks, let me know what they reply!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just received my new M240. First time I recorded a video there is a motor sound in the background. My guess is the microphone is picking up some internal motor noise from the camera as the video images are captured. Has anyone seen or heard a solution to this? I was recording video of a crackling fire in a quiet room and the video noise described was more dominant than the noise of the fire. Please let me know what Leica has said about this issue.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I will be sending my camera back for repair sometime in December after I get my A7R to repair a loose rear LCD, broken bottom plate, dust in the RF (received it this way).

I am also adding to that list the noise it makes when recording video and the intermittent sounds that ruin the video audio. I am also mentioning the overheating problem with the LCD and the dimming of the EVF.

If, it can't be fixed I'll ask for an exchange. I am anticipating several return trips to NJ before I am satisfied. Hope this helps answer the original OP question.

• Like 1

I will be sending my camera back for repair sometime in December after I get my A7R to repair a loose rear LCD, broken bottom plate, dust in the RF (received it this way).

I am also adding to that list the noise it makes when recording video and the intermittent sounds that ruin the video audio. I am also mentioning the overheating problem with the LCD and the dimming of the EVF.

If, it can't be fixed I'll ask for an exchange. I am anticipating several return trips to NJ before I am satisfied. Hope this helps answer the original OP question.

Rick, sad to hear about your problems with the M. I got fed up with all the problems I had with mine and has now sold it. I wish you luck with the repair. Let us know how it goes.

Rick, sad to hear about your problems with the M. I got fed up with all the problems I had with mine and has now sold it. I wish you luck with the repair. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks. It would appear to me that a few of us have this problem. I am assuming that I therefore have a defective camera and I will expect to get mine repaired or replaced. While this is sorted out, who know, maybe I'll morph into RickSony. :eek:

• Like 2

Do you mean the beep beep beep ? It's one of the most annoying things

Yes, the beep-beep-beep sound when using the internal mic in quiet situations. I'm sending my camera back in December. I believe some of us have defective copies. Apparently, only a few copies of the M240 do this. If, you have a M240 that does this, your camera is defective and should go back to Leica.

Yes, the beep-beep-beep sound when using the internal mic in quiet situations. I'm sending my camera back in December. I believe some of us have defective copies. Apparently, only a few copies of the M240 do this. If, you have a M240 that does this, your camera is defective and should go back to Leica.

Would others in the forum do a quick test of their M's and let us know? I'm curious if this is a wide spread or only a few copies thing. It could be wide spread, but not found out because video is not a priority to many M owners.

Best and thanks,

Steve

I took a video, and yes in camera I heard some sort of 'beeping' in the playback is this what you guys are talking about?

Yes, That is exactly what I am talking about. You should send your camera back to Leica or return it for an exchange. You have one of the defective copies. Sorry.

Yes, That is exactly what I am talking about. You should send your camera back to Leica or return it for an exchange. You have one of the defective copies. Sorry.

Is this fact or your presumptions? If so, then yes I will take it back, but not just now... I'll do it when they become more 'available'...

I don't use the video mode anyway.

I tried a 20 sec video last night and could not hear anything but my fingers moving around on the camera and just what I think was normal background. Of course if it was a beep beep sound I might not have heard it. Maybe I will put the hearing aids on and try again.

Is this fact or your presumptions? If so, then yes I will take it back, but not just now... I'll do it when they become more 'available'...

I don't use the video mode anyway.

Would you say the noise is intrusive for everyday situations, like a video taken on the street, or when hand holding the camera (with hand movement sounds, button pressing, and rustling)? It seems like it shows up under very quiet situations when the gain on the in camera microphone is maxed out. If that's the case, it wouldn't be a concern for me because I don't consider in-camera microphones to be very good with any camera, especially with maxed out gains. They are there for quick video grabs, not high fidelity.

Best,

Steve

Would you say the noise is intrusive for everyday situations, like a video taken on the street, or when hand holding the camera (with hand movement sounds, button pressing, and rustling)? It seems like it shows up under very quiet situations when the gain on the in camera microphone is maxed out. If that's the case, it wouldn't be a concern for me because I don't consider in-camera microphones to be very good with any camera, especially with maxed out gains. They are there for quick video grabs, not high fidelity.

Best,

Steve

That is right I heard it especially in quiet situations, but also while it was more noisy in the zoo with people talking etc etc.

Also no matter what I don't want my 6300 euro camera to have faults like this. But really I don't care about the microphone... since I won't use video anyway. Only reason I did was 'because I can' never did anything with the files.