Higher resolution EVF for M and X-Vario

Mixalis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone had the opportunity to examine the new Olympus EV-4 to see if it is physically compatible with M and X-Vario? I have only seen pictures but as far as I can see it has an identical mounting system, with rear camera socket, to the existing lower-res Leica device. I realise it probably wouldn't work without a firmware update (at least and if possible) but I am intrigued to find out what experts think. At some stage, presumably, Leica will have to consider moving to a 2.4M finder. The current version is already inferior to, say, the external finder for the Sony RX1 and other models and I assume the EV-4 will be similar.

The Olympus VF-4 has the same physical connector as the VF-2 and can be used on older Olympus cameras in place of the VF-2 provided that they have a firmware update which Olympus have released promptly. Presumably Leica could update the firmware if they chose to. Whether they will is another matter.

• Like 1

The M can only churn out a certain bit rate and if you have a higher resolution display, you will lose out on frame rate if that is the limiting factor.

I'm coming to see the M240 as a stop gap camera; a step forwards, certainly, but still shackled with a chipset which is, what, 6 years old at least. I think in fairly short order we will see a follow on camera which addresses the processing bottlenecks, maybe Photokina next year, barely a year away. If I didn't already have my camera, I think I might just be making friends with my M8s and M9s (we never fell out actually and my M9 has just come back from realignment - sensor and rangefinder - working very well) and hang on to my money for now.

• Like 5

The M can only churn out a certain bit rate and if you have a higher resolution display, you will lose out on frame rate if that is the limiting factor.

I'm coming to see the M240 as a stop gap camera; a step forwards, certainly, but still shackled with a chipset which is, what, 6 years old at least. I think in fairly short order we will see a follow on camera which addresses the processing bottlenecks, maybe Photokina next year, barely a year away. If I didn't already have my camera, I think I might just be making friends with my M8s and M9s (we never fell out actually and my M9 has just come back from realignment - sensor and rangefinder - working very well) and hang on to my money for now.

I think the M240 is the best RF out there. It may be a "stopgap" but it is capable of making very very good images. Would I like to see a VF4 viewfinder? Absolutely. But the VF2 is better than not having an EVF. Far better for framing; capable of using R lenses, better for closeups. I think the M240 is a great advance from the M9. The next Leica M is likely to be far more incremental -- maybe better EVF included in that. If you are a Leica user you must have patience.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the info. I suspect that even if the M could be updated Leica would not want to do it because it would force everyone to ditch the old finder. You have a point about an M Typ 250 or whatever it is called. It could come sooner than we think. Meanwhile, remaining friends with the M9 is a sensible idea. I have both M and MM and I have to say that the Monochrom in use makes me nostalgic for the M9. Part of me, irrationally, wishes I had kept the M9 instead of upgrading to the M, although the M is undeniably a fine camera.

Thanks to everyone for the info. I suspect that even if the M could be updated Leica would not want to do it because it would force everyone to ditch the old finder. ...

Planned obsolescence is a good thing, makes people want to buy the latest products.;)

Also, it would not force anyone that doesn't want the VF-4 to ditch the old finder. They'd keep what they have and use it.

• Like 1

Planned obsolescence is a good thing, makes people want to buy the latest products.;)

Also, it would not force anyone that doesn't want the VF-4 to ditch the old finder. They'd keep what they have and use it.

EVF should not be limited to one only. The Oly E-P5 will accept either the vf2 or vf4. Leica could do the same. It's just a matter of firmware. Having used both, the vf4 is very much better, locks on the shoe and has eye detection. But Leica Is having plenty of trouble getting things like the handgrip and R adapter out, so I would not hold my breath on a vf4 for m240.

• Like 3

I'm coming to see the M240 as a stop gap camera; a step forwards, certainly, but still shackled with a chipset which is, what, 6 years old at least.

don't except to see Leica ever have the latest electronics!

I think the 240 will have at least a 3 year run.

The Maestro processor can deal with 40mp and AF so I am sure it is perfectly adequate for what is being asked of it in the M240

• Like 6

When I use my EVF with M lenses wider than 28 and/or with R lenses, I do not feel the need for a better EVF. I just keep going with what I've got. Even when I switch to use my RX-1 on occasion, I still do not wish for a better EVF on the M. Sure it lags after a shot which can be a pain from time to time, but all in all I use the RF whenever I can. Sure one might need it for critical wide open shooting which is important, but we shot wide open before the EVF with M lenses and captured some nice images.

• Like 3

Well, all I can say is the VF-4 is a significant improvement over the VF-2 on my OM-D E-M5.

That camera also works exceedingly well with R lenses, in particular tele-lenses.

It's wonderful to use Leica M lenses with Olympus' IBIS image stabilization.

As I will keep my M9 for WA lenses, all these little things some non-Leica cameras have begin to add up.

• Like 3

When I use my EVF with M lenses wider than 28 and/or with R lenses, I do not feel the need for a better EVF. I just keep going with what I've got. Even when I switch to use my RX-1 on occasion, I still do not wish for a better EVF on the M. Sure it lags after a shot which can be a pain from time to time, but all in all I use the RF whenever I can. Sure one might need it for critical wide open shooting which is important, but we shot wide open before the EVF with M lenses and captured some nice images.

I have to say that in general I prefer the rangefinder for lenses between 28 and 50 but the EVF comes into its own with my 21mm Super Elmar, no need to futz with an optical addition. And, on balance, I choose the EVF for 75 and 90mm. It's a pity not to use the RF at all since it is still the essence of using a Leica.

Mike

I'm using the VF-2 and VF-4 on Olympus Pen M4/3 cameras, which they both fit. Only the latest model (E-P5) will take full advantage of the eye-detection feature of the VF-4, When I use the VF-4 on my earlier E-PL5, I don't see any difference in the refresh rate to the higher resolution screen, but it is possible that in designing that particular I/O channel the Olympus engineers allowed for the viewfinder resolution to be announced later. Leica's engineers should also have known the Olympus VF roadmap, but the product managers may have made different decisions. Until Leica has sold most of the rebadged VF-2s which they purchased from Olympus a year or more ago, we won't know.

On EVF's -- to me the big advantage of the VF-4 over the VF-2 is that its extra resolution keeps me alerted to the times when the Pens' pretty good AF has selected the wrong thing to focus on. With the VF-2 you can't check focus very well. Neither matches a good optical finder for checkiing details in the shadows or outdoors on a bright day. Both are a help in low light conditions.

large.jpg

scott

• Like 1

I have to say that in general I prefer the rangefinder for lenses between 28 and 50 but the EVF comes into its own with my 21mm Super Elmar, no need to futz with an optical addition. And, on balance, I choose the EVF for 75 and 90mm. It's a pity not to use the RF at all since it is still the essence of using a Leica.

Mike

I never relegate the EVF to specific lenses. My first choice is always the rangefinder, but I keep the EVF mounted for those instances when its nearly impossible to focus with RF and simply switch over to the EVF. Its the best of both worlds. Of course when I use my 24mm or wider I use the EVF the bulk of the time and switch to RF only if necessary for accurate focus.

I find many instances when the RF isn't the correct tool on both my 35 and 50mm lens and having the EVF handy makes the M so much more valuable.

• Like 3

I never relegate the EVF to specific lenses. My first choice is always the rangefinder, but I keep the EVF mounted for those instances when its nearly impossible to focus with RF and simply switch over to the EVF. Its the best of both worlds. Of course when I use my 24mm or wider I use the EVF the bulk of the time and switch to RF only if necessary for accurate focus.

I find many instances when the RF isn't the correct tool on both my 35 and 50mm lens and having the EVF handy makes the M so much more valuable.

A good point. It is definitely useful to have the option of the EVF whatever the focal length.

Mike