Leica MP

azzo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think the main difference is the improved viewfinder of the MP.

There's also supposed to be a different exposure metering system, and it lacks the TTL flash circuitry.

Cosmetically the MP has black paint vs lacquer, and the rewind knob is a retro design similar to the M3 cameras.

The size and weight difference is negligible (the MP is smaller and lighter), but everything else is pretty much comparable.

Now, if you were really committed to the M6TTL, you could always have its finder swapped out for the new one...and still come out ahead financially.

Thanks.

Allan

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the main difference is the improved viewfinder of the MP.

There's also supposed to be a different exposure metering system, and it lacks the TTL flash circuitry.

Cosmetically the MP has black paint vs lacquer, and the rewind knob is a retro design similar to the M3 cameras.

The size and weight difference is negligible (the MP is smaller and lighter), but everything else is pretty much comparable.

Now, if you were really committed to the M6TTL, you could always have its finder swapped out for the new one...and still come out ahead financially.

Thanks.

Allan

Thanks Allan. think i will keep my M6TTL.58 AND THE 24MM lens. The MP i,m interested in is a .72 and cannot use my 24mm on it.Cannot find a 24mm brightline viewfinder for it anywhere.The new 21 24 28 viewfinder is too large for my tastes. Regards AZZO ps Hope that you are recieving my replies because i am not sure if i am doing the right thing to answer you. to tell you the truth..i cant get the hang of the works of this forum !

I went to the leica demo today...and saw the M8...exactly like M7 but digital...black, beautiful!!! the price is expensive, been told is something ilke 4750, and going to be in market in nov. It is really beautiful...I really can't tell that is a digital...I thought it is M7 at first...I have a MP now, but, will be interested in getting an M8 later...

also, I saw the digilux 3...it is very strange look...look is totally different from digilux 2...and the shutter is not as quiet as digilux 2...very weird...or maybe I am wrong :D

• 6 months later...

I'm finding this thread very helpful. I got an M6 TTL to get into film, (have the M8, all digital nikon otherwise). But I'm now seriously considering returning it for an M7. I agree very much with the poster who likes the continuous shutter speeds on the M7 in AE, and also in the M5 manually. In fact, I bought a banged up but perfectly functioning M5 just to have this control in manual.

New to me in this thread is that the finder was upgraded in the M7/MP vs M6. How so? thanks....Peter

The MP i,m interested in is a .72 and cannot use my 24mm on it. !

Ivan,

I use the 24mm, without a separate viewfinder. It's not perfect, but I don't like having to move my eye from the camera finder. I estimate and it's OK, just stretch the eyes around the edges a little.:) A few extra frames can be wasted. Perhaps I'll buy one one day.

I bought my 24mm without the viewfinder because it was to be used on my M8, but I've held back on that. The 24mm is a stunning lens, so in spite of the non-appearance of the M8, the 24mm is not going anywhere.

Rolo

Rolo, I'm in a different position. I bought a mint used 24mm for my M8 and it came with the viewfinder - no it's not for sale <grin>, I agree it's a spectacular lens.

Ivan, make him an offer .... everything has its price ! :D

Rolo

The Forum will probably now "evolve" from discussions about photography into technical discussions of RAW development, something like a mobile phone chatroom...:(

My my....I believe I shall buy William a pint whenever he can get that Morgan out of cold storage.

That being said - I am now on my 3rd MP. Sold the original for an MP3 ....it is quite simply the best M body I have owned yet. Think M3 mechanics with metering. And I am no fondler...wow.

i have an m7 sitting by all of my gear and i have yet to use it.

and, no, i'd never trade my mp for anything.

Chris, would you ever trade your MP for an M7? And if not why? Mind space thing or the full manual gets you to think things through for a more satisfactory result? What if you wanted flexibility of flash, the M7 then?

Someone else mentioned 'double detent' on the M7 shutter release which I think means two stage shutter release which I could see being a nuisance if it is anything like the release of the R9. But that aside, and mechanical v electronic shouldn't make a difference for the majority of users, why not the convenience of the M7s aperture priority?

Regards.

i hope you're not Chris as there's going to be a girl in the other room with a lot of questions! ;)

seriously, though, i shot velvia with my mp and it came out beautiful!

Rob,

Chris can speak for himself, but I believe he uses his M's mainly for B&W where 1/2 - 1/3 stop aren't that critical. While the M7 and MP use the same meter, the M7 has an infinitely variable shutter and will shoot 1/180th, 1/380th, etc. With color, sometimes this makes a difference. Also, when you KNOW you need a little compensation, you can meter a different area and lock in 1/750th, etc. with the exposure lock feature. It is much quicker to do than say. :) If I HAVE to get the shot, I prefer the M7. Of course, I'm not Chris! ;) My M5 works the same way, only slower, but with both the M7 & M5 I know exactly what shutter speed I'm using without taking the v/f from my eye. (The M5 has an infinitely variable shutter except between 1/30th & 1/60th. M'6's and MP's do not.)

i hope you're not Chris as there's going to be a girl in the other room with a lot of questions! ;)

seriously, though, i shot velvia with my mp and it came out beautiful!

Chris,

Cheers! I'd expect everything you shot to come out "beautiful"!!! ;)