No more Leica Passport Warranty after Dec 31 '07

john_f

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was talking with a fellow Leica user a few days ago. He told me that he had learned that Leica was about to end its well known Passport Warranty program - after December 31 '07. I will try to get an explanation from Leica USA next week. Will keep you posted.

In the mean time, if you have been thinking of getting a brand new M8, or a new Summicron, Ultravid binocular, Televid scope, Digilux, etc... I would strongly suggest you act on your dream camera, lens, whatever, before Dec 31.

A very merry Christmas and a happy new year to all of you !

Cheers,

John F.

I say buy used from a trusted source.

Someone else can take the wild depreciation hit that comes from buying a new Leica lens.

I would rather self-insure than pay such a premium for a Leica warranty.

I might have considered a used M8 if such animals were available a year ago.

Now my perfectly trustworthy camera will be out of warranty in a matter of weeks. I have no complaints or regrets, but would I buy another new one, or even a warranteed demo, rather than a deeply discounted used camera?

I dunno. Tough call. Easier decision to make with a lens rather than a digital camera perhaps.

David:

I agree on buying the lenses used. There is very little that goes wrong on the Leica M lenses and they are very durable.

Well NOW you tell me!;)

That's OK if you can find the lenses you want used at a reduced cost. But when I desided to get a M8 all I had was a M3 with 50, 90 and 135 so I need to get some more lenses. Finding them new, or nearly new (nearly new is a NEW model lens from a dealer with all original documentation, accessories and box) was hard enough. Trying to find those same lenses in the, cough/cough, used marketplace for a reduced price to cover the difference in Standard warranty and Passport warranty was next to impossible, I know I looked.

I wonder whether Leica will honor the passport warranty for the Leica cameras and lenses shipped out before Dec 31, 2007 because there should still be passport warranty cards in the boxes.

I still want to hear this from the source, Leica USA for the US market, and other distributors for other markets.

Until then take this with a grain of salt. This rumor make the Leica forum look like the Nikon forum over at DPReview.

Yes. It is true.

Currently purchased product will still have the Passport Warranty honored.

The memo reads as follows:

With effect from January 1, 2008, all Leica M and R cameras and lenses will no longer have a passport warranty. Leica Camera Inc. will implement a new warranty which will be consistent worldwide. Warranty coverage for the M & R cameras and lenses will be stated as a Limited 2 Year Warranty covering defects in workmanship or materials.

The reasons for this change are many. As previously stated, the warranty coverage will now be consistent worldwide. European Union and German law and regulation have impact upon both the form and length of warranties that can be offered. As a German company, that has direct implications for us.

The change in our warranty coverage does not reflect any change in the quality of our products. It is more of a necessity to be in step with the worldwide warranty coverage of Leica products.

Here is the breakdown of all Leica poduct warranties:

M8 - 2 yrs limited

M7+MP - 5 yrs limited

R9 - 5 yrs limited

M lenses - 2 yrs limited

R lenses - 2 yrs limited

Digilux 3 - 6 month passport + 2.5 yrs limited = 3 yrs

V-Lux 1 - 2 yrs limited

D-Lux 3 - 2 yrs limited

C-Lux 2 - 2 yrs limited

Flash - 2 yrs limited

Accessories - 2 yrs limited

Ultravid BR - Lifetime passport

Ultravid HD - 5+5 yrs limited = 10 yrs

Compact binoculars - 5+5 yrs limited = 10 yrs

Spotting scopes - 5+5 yrs limited = 10 yrs

Oculars - 5+5 yrs limited = 10 yrs

Geovid BRF - 5 yrs limited

LRF/CRF - 2 yrs limited

Ed, according to David's post, those are the new warranty periods.

That's just it, in the Memo posted above is says as of 1/1/2008

(QUOTE)

With effect from January 1, 2008, all Leica M and R cameras and lenses will no longer have a passport warranty. Leica Camera Inc. will implement a new warranty which will be consistent worldwide. Warranty coverage for the M & R cameras and lenses will be stated as a Limited 2 Year Warranty covering defects in workmanship or materials.

(END QUOTE)

That says ALL M & R camera & Lenses will have a 2 year warranty.

But then david goes on to quote a 5 year for MP/M7/R9 and then other periods longer then 2 years for other various products.

The only thing I can get out of that is the bottom part of the post is current warranties for products that have not left the factory yet. And or they are discontinuing production of the M7/MP and I think they aready have for the R9 and any left in the sales channel will still be covered by the present warranty periods whether or not they are sold before 1/1/2008.

Actually It really doesn't affect me as I have bought all the new Leica gear I'm ever going to need for at least the next 3-4 years

Ed--

I don't think the warranties shown are current, do you? Are R9's currently warranted for 5 years? Don't they carry Passport?

As I read it, the note says that all cameras and lenses will lose the PP warranty, but doesn't say that all bodies and lenses will have a 2-year warranty, though that's an easy inference.

I think you read it more carefully than I, and one can certainly see a discrepancy between the quote "Warranty coverage for the M & R cameras and lenses will be stated as a Limited 2 Year Warranty" and the listing

M8 - 2 yrs limited

M7+MP - 5 yrs limited

R9 - 5 yrs limited

Looks to me like a case of confusing copy, but I think those warranties are the new ones. :)

--HC

Howard are you reading the same memo I am???

The memo reads as follows:

If I read that correctly it says 2 YEARS.

From the B&H website the warranty is 5 year with a extra 3 year passport warranty on a new MP.

Ed, A lens I just bought came with instructions to send in the warranty card to be entitled to the Passport Warranty.

As I said, you read David's post differently than I.

Perhaps when 2008 arrives, we'll both be enlightened.

Merry Christmas!

--HC

Okay. Sorry for the confusion. The warranty periods I listed above are the NEW warranty periods as of Jan. 1, 2008. Currently there are 3 year passports on M and R lenses, now this is moving to a 2 year limited. Yes, I know what the memo says about M and R bodies, but film bodies are still being warrantied for 5 years limited.

As far as the price increase Jan 1, also true. The Summarits are not going up in price, but almost every lens is. What pricecs in particular are you interested in?

David

Unlike mechanical cameras, digital products are bound to fail and it doesn't make any economic sense to repair/restore it to its original condition. Leica's new warranty policy is in consistency with other manufacturers from Japan and most companies set their product cycle at 2 years so it's really nothing special here.

I don't care about the price hike ... because shooting medium format digital has never seemed to be so "affordable" if you know Hasselblad's most expensive AF lens (the HC 300/4.5) is only 3800 US$ ... brand new.

I only wish Leica could reveal the R10 as soon as they can ... then I'll decided whether I should move on. :)

Simon, another point about the Passport warranty is that it's an insurance policy. Everyone who doesn't use it is paying for the person who does. That's neither good nor bad, but you may recall that prices took a big jump when Leica US went to the Passport plan.

And the new policy means uniformity across markets, as pointed out above. No more of "Well if you bought it in the US, it's covered, but if you didn't, this won't be under warranty."

Glad to know that Hasselblad's 300/4.5 uses my initials, by the way! ;)

--HC