T Mode on the Q3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

New to the forum and very happy owner of a new Q3. I am working my way through the user manual of my new Q3 - what a fabulous camera!!! However, try as I might I am having a problem accessing the T mode in the Shutter speed settings even though I am following the manual to the letter. I am sure there is a setting somewhere in the background that is stopping this but I can't work it out for the life of me. Any help would be much appreciated.

2 hours ago, Wellsyboy said:

It doesn't go into T Mode using that process

Hello Wellsyboy.

I "duplicated" your settings and my Q3 would only go to 120s - not to "T".  However, if you move the aperture setting ring to a fixed value - not on "A", then the T mode can be selected.  Also the shutter needs to be in Mechanical or Hybrid for this to function.  ISO settings can also affect the maximum number of seconds that can be selected..

This (the "T" setting bit) is revealed on page 115 of the downloaded Q3 manual, although the wording describing this is a bit poor.

Have another try.....

Paul

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Hello Wellsyboy.

I "duplicated" your settings and my Q3 would only go to 120s - not to "T".  However, if you move the aperture setting ring to a fixed value - not on "A", then the T mode can be selected.  Also the shutter needs to be in Mechanical or Hybrid for this to function.  ISO settings can also affect the maximum number of seconds that can be selected..

This (the "T" setting bit) is revealed on page 115 of the downloaded Q3 manual, although the wording describing this is a bit poor.

Have another try.....

Paul

Thanks for pitching in Paul. I have already checked all that but did it again just in case. 

Aperture set to fixed value, Shutter +1, Shutter tried on both Mechanical and Hybrid, ISO tried on Auto, 50, 100, 800 and 6400 and I still can't get it into T mode. That's why I wondered whether there was another setting that might be affecting this. Getting frustrated now........

Thanks for pitching in Paul. I have already checked all that but did it again just in case. 

Aperture set to fixed value, Shutter +1, Shutter tried on both Mechanical and Hybrid, ISO tried on Auto, 50, 100, 800 and 6400 and I still can't get it into T mode. That's why I wondered whether there was another setting that might be affecting this. Getting frustrated now........

I have a Q2 so it may be slightly different, but have you set the wheel function control to "automatic" ( This is a requirement of the Q2 in order to get to T mode). If I then select +1 on the shutter, pick a manual f stop (I already had that set so perhaps that makes a difference?) I was able to turn the function wheel anticlockwise through many manual speeds until it eventually came to T. Note my shutter is set to hybrid and with auto ISO.

Well, that is a bit strange. I've played around with my Q3 again - just make sure that your drive mode is set to "single".  I had my Q3 on "T" with these settings: Top speed dial set to 1+, ISO on auto, aperture set to f1.7 and shutter on "mechanical" - all good. Then I changed the drive mode to "continuous" at 2 f per s, and the "T" setting was no longer able to be set - just 120 secs.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Well, that is a bit strange. I've played around with my Q3 again - just make sure that your drive mode is set to "single".  I had my Q3 on "T" with these settings: Top speed dial set to 1+, ISO on auto, aperture set to f1.7 and shutter on "mechanical" - all good. Then I changed the drive mode to "continuous" at 2 f per s, and the "T" setting was no longer able to be set - just 120 secs.

Woo hooo!!!!!! That did it! Thanks a lot guys and especially Paul - only works in single shot mode (which makes sense - doh!) - had it set on continuous!

Thanks again everyone - problem solved

• Like 2