Ilford Ilfocolor 400 Vintage Tone

chris_livsey

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One of my sons is visiting Australia and being a film shooter popped in some local shops and saw rolls of this.

Ilford Ilfocolor 400 Vintage Tone 134x24 exp | digiDirect

This is from ILFORD Imaging Europe GmbH and not UK HarmanTechnology.

Chugai Photo Chemical (Japan) and CR Kennedy (Aus) acquired the naming rights from the receivers to form Ilford Imaging Europe (registered in Germany) and then relaunched the Galerie papers in 2014. These products are sub-contracted. 

According to the UK trademark registry, Harman has a licence from Ilford imaging europe (Trademark owner) to use the ILFORD tm for the following categories;

Photographic plates, sensitised photographic films
Paper, sensitised for photographic purposes
Photographic accessories

The film is also available in New Zealand:

ILFORD ILFOCOLOR 400 Vintage Tone 35mm 24 Exposure (coastphoto.nz)

Interestingly on that page they give a time line of Ilford in the UK including post 2005 when the management buy out went through and has no connection with the film they are selling. In case you don't know the Harman name for the buyout entity came from Alfred Harman, who made dry gelatine plates in the basement of his house in Ilford, Essex in around 1879 pouring the emulsion allegedly from a teapot.

ILFORD ILFOCOLOR 400 Vintage Tone 35mm 24 Exposure

Copyright © 2021 Coast Photo

16 hours ago, chris_livsey said:

This is from ILFORD Imaging Europe GmbH and not UK HarmanTechnology.

Chugai Photo Chemical (Japan) and CR Kennedy (Aus) acquired the naming rights from the receivers to form Ilford Imaging Europe (registered in Germany) and then relaunched the Galerie papers in 2014. These products are sub-contracted. 

According to the UK trademark registry, Harman has a licence from Ilford imaging europe (Trademark owner) to use the ILFORD tm for the following categories;

Photographic plates, sensitised photographic films
Paper, sensitised for photographic purposes
Photographic accessories

The film is also available in New Zealand:

ILFORD ILFOCOLOR 400 Vintage Tone 35mm 24 Exposure (coastphoto.nz)

Interestingly on that page they give a time line of Ilford in the UK including post 2005 when the management buy out went through and has no connection with the film they are selling. In case you don't know the Harman name for the buyout entity came from Alfred Harman, who made dry gelatine plates in the basement of his house in Ilford, Essex in around 1879 pouring the emulsion allegedly from a teapot.

Yah - Ilford has an incredibly complicated ™ and IP history, dating all the way back to 1959, with its purchase by ICI (Imperial Chemical). Then co-owned by CIBA (1963 - the original Swiss connection) to help create the Cibachrome reversal printing technology, then wholy owned by CIBA (later CIBA-GEIGY) since 1969, then sold to International Paper (USA, 1989), whereupon Cibachrome became Ilfochrome, then a private-equity fund (1997) then receivership (2004) and the management buyout (2005). And is now again held by a private equity firm (Pemberton Ventures Ltd.)

While the CIBA-GEIGY branch came under control of Oji Paper, then a private fund, and then Chugai.

I think the essential division now is - any color product (and Ilford inkjet paper, which can be used for color) can use the ILFORD brand under the Swiss/German connection, and Harman (UK) can only use ILFORD for B&W products.

Harman UK sold a really nice HARMAN-branded Hahnemühle inkjet fiber-gloss paper for a while - but that is sadly defunct.

On the plus side, HARMAN bought the Kentmere film brand and formula (Kentmere Ltd. was making more profit from its packaging know-how than from the film/paper it was packaging ;) ).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, adan said:

Yah - Ilford has an incredibly complicated ™ and IP history, dating all the way back to 1959, with its purchase by ICI (Imperial Chemical). Then co-owned by CIBA (1963 - the original Swiss connection) to help create the Cibachrome reversal printing technology, then wholy owned by CIBA (later CIBA-GEIGY) since 1969, then sold to International Paper (USA, 1989), whereupon Cibachrome became Ilfochrome, then a private-equity fund (1997) then receivership (2004) and the management buyout (2005). And is now again held by a private equity firm (Pemberton Ventures Ltd.)

While the CIBA-GEIGY branch came under control of Oji Paper, then a private fund, and then Chugai.

I think the essential division now is - any color product (and Ilford inkjet paper, which can be used for color) can use the ILFORD brand under the Swiss/German connection, and Harman (UK) can only use ILFORD for B&W products.

Harman UK sold a really nice HARMAN-branded Hahnemühle inkjet fiber-gloss paper for a while - but that is sadly defunct.

On the plus side, HARMAN bought the Kentmere film brand and formula (Kentmere Ltd. was making more profit from its packaging know-how than from the film/paper it was packaging ;) ).

See http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Ilford/Chronology.html

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

37 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

I think Kentmere just made paper - the Kentmere-branded films only appeared a couple of years after Harman acquired the brand, probably with formulas similar to the Ilford Pan 100/400 budget range

I used Kentmere paper back in the 70’s when they made silver and blue based B&W paper , as well as a nice watercolour type rough art paper.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pyrogallol said:

I used Kentmere paper back in the 70’s when they made silver and blue based B&W paper , as well as a nice watercolour type rough art paper.

The paper has been around for ever - I think we may well have used Kentmere RC paper when I was in school, [REDACTED] years ago. The chemistry teacher took an interest, and had bottles of things like metol and hydroquinone in the store cupboard he let us raid to make our own developers to Ilford recipes (I think I made ID-36 back then, which was supposed to be a universal developer for paper or film).

• Like 2

On 10/18/2023 at 2:21 AM, chris_livsey said:

I now read there are reasons to believe this is the Wolfen NC400 described on this thread further down:

I'm not clear hoe the description:

Gorgeous, vibrant colours

Washed-out look that instantly transports you back to the 1960s

Washed out and vibrant seem contradictory.

I ordered 10 rolls of NC400 after trying their NC500 and liking it very much. I shot my first roll of NC400 this week end. I like very much what I am seeing so far. I guess one photographer's curse, is another one's blessing. It has its own looks. 

This is just a quick family snap

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

ii, rollei 40f2.8, Wolfen NC400

PS: my rolls came individually and nicely packed...

Edited by Aryel
  • Like 2