Never sell a Leica M

w00tw00t

On 8/11/2023 at 8:45 PM, w00tw00t said:

Came here for a funny PSA. I sold my Leica M11 because shooting with it I felt like such an imposter, comparing my lame pics to the all the amazing pics others get. And the cost of the camera kept nagging at me. So I made the stupid decision to sell it. And now I’m missing it so much I will probably buy another M10 or M11 soon. 

Lesson is - Never sell a Leica M. You’re going to end up buying another one anyway. They are such beautiful cameras that made me want to take it out and shoot with it every single day. 

Have fun with your Leica M folks!! I’ll be back in the mix soon! 

My last two shots with my M11 before I sold it: 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I sort of agree, but with these small personal provisos............Never sell an analogue M unless you have too many of them which in itself borders on stupidity, ( guilty there M'Lord), or hoarding. Sell digital Leica M's in good time before their electronic gremlins awake from hibernation and replacement parts exist no more, like the main boards for the M10-D that Leica told me were soon to be discontinued and unavailable. Don't sell Leica lenses either unless you need to or are "trading up", ( I just re-purchased a 24mm f2.8 Elmarit and will probably be looking again to re-purchase the 18mm 3.8 SEM ). So there's always excuses, always exceptions, no absolute rules and once in the Leica swamp only a fat wallet will enable you to get out.

Edited by Smudgerer
  • Like 1

I made the expensive mistake of selling my M9 and several lenses in order to slake my thirst for more medium format gear. Now I'm ten years older and want to travel lighter so I'm back in the fold - having to pay vastly more to replace the lenses I should have kept!

So for me, it's not "never sell a Leica" but "never sell the lenses" - which in any are the best reason for owning a Leica.

• Like 1