Sotherby's M9

Photoworks

3 hours ago, mediumformula said:

warranty

My M9 had to go to Wetzlar for a ('free') cracked sensor replacement and at the time they were offering reduced price recovering with 'Al la carte' leathers. I took the option and it is a very nice leather as you would expect. I don't know if they still do this, but may be worth checking IF your camera needs to go back.

3 hours ago, mediumformula said:

I'm tempted to do this, but might wait until my warranty runs out on the camera first. I have re-skinned several Barnacks an M3, and my Canon F1 with cheaper leather skin, but those were low stakes jobs! 

Up to now changing the leather(ette) has not invalidated warranty. 

• Thanks 1

My leather wrapped A La Carte MP had to go to New Jersey a few months ago to get the frame line selector un-jammed. This was covered under the 5 year mechanical warranty. They wrote me and told me that this procedure would have required removing the leather wrap and putting a new leatherette back on it.  I protested that if they had to remove the natural leather cover of my MP that they needed to replace it with natural leather.  They agreed and the best option seemed to be black saddle leather, which honestly I was kind of looking forward to having on my MP.  Anyway, they sent the camera back repaired and it still had its original grey A La Carte leather on it.  I guess fixing the frame-lines didn't require removing the leather (I never understood why it would in the first place).  So I never got to see what the black saddle leather would look like on my MP, but apparently NJ Leica has the ability to re-skin cameras, but I doubt that extends to M11s.  

My experience too in Wetzlar. My M9 camera was covered with a Camera Leather product   At the free sensor replacement Leica contacted me to ask which a-la-Carte leather I preferred for free.