Who is buying the M8?

D Carter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I Think I may be in a position to shed some light on the subject.

I am a seller of the M system. Plus I use the stuff myself.

So far, exactly 35% of the M8s sold in my shop went to people who never owned an M camera in the past.

Another statistic that you may find interesting is, since the arrival of M8, I sold one analog M for every 9 M8s

Cheers

Jean

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

.... So what do expect, for someone else to say "Hey I'm going to go out and buy some used film gear and not do digital photography anymore".

Sell the film cameras for whatever you can get for them and be done with it.

Ed - We have never met, we are unlikely to. So I am surprised by your presumption about my thinking or expectations. I merely answered the question posed by the original poster and fail to see what motivated your response. Maybe my aside about needing to raise finances from selling gear, or the fact that I would miss this excellent forum if forced to sell my M8 got your knees jerking in some mysterious way. You would have been better served ignoring my post rather than patronising me, your snottiness was unwelcome.

................ Chris

The M8 is my first Leica, but not my first rangefinder.

I started with a Focasport -rangefinder made in France- as a kid (no rangefinder coupling, no meter) then used and owned a few film SLR that eventually got me to give up photography for a decade (I ended up never carrying them around). I restarted with the compact P&S digital cameras, who drove me eventually to buy a M8 to get both the compactness and the quality.

Hi Graeme, some of the North West participants to the forum are organising a little get together in December - see this post...

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/forum-member-meetings/37742-leica-christmas-party-manchester.html

If you can make it come along, and I'm sure we'll have a good selection of M lenses for you to try.

Hello Doug,

after a long period of photographic silence, used a complete Olympus OM set in the eighties,

I took up my grandfather's old Zeiss Ikon Contaflex out of the cupboard and fiddled with it for a while. A few months later I decided to buy a 'budget' rangefinder in the order of a Voygtlander Bessa 2RM. The rangefinder virus took me completly over and in no time I had a nice set of rangefinder lenses.

Altough I really like the magic of developing B&W film the Leica M8 seemed the ultimate "inaccessible" tool.

After the disaperence of the Bessa based Epson Rd1 and the announcement of the majour price increase of the M8 ... I set my mind to infinity and bought the M8 in less time than buying a sliced bread. Dream fulfilled, no regreds, enjoy, admire, enjoy, admire, ...:rolleyes:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!